Page 43 of 179 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Timezone
    GMT -3
    PSN ID
    D_1998_BR

Uhhh...

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Nyaaaah, by this week i only got my ship phisics working (but this was the hardest thing to make as for me), and i left easiest for friday becouse i have to force myself to start learning in school (3 exams ).
    Ok, so... here's my demo as for now... enjoy ^^
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uploads... uploads.... uuuuuploooooaaaads... done Demo_Flying_Game (my CPU is DualCore Intel with 2,8Ghz clock... and it's enough for this game (only one core is used))
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: For now you can't see some walls from the other side becouse i have verticies turned in same direction... still i don't know how to make unity ignore verticies directions for a specific object :/ Oh, and you'll notice that camera is not following ship, it's only attached to it xD And i've fast-edited my track becouse it was too narrow to fly....
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 15th November 2011 at 07:27 PM.

Nice!!
    Even with the inverted faces and all it looks pretty good! One thing though: You seem to have put a rendering quality ship on a game engine. I suggest you reduce the number of polys on your ship to about 5000 for optimum performance on Unity. If you want some of my ships and tracks I will send them to you.
    Just tell me the format of the files.

I had a look at unity in september but other things steped in the way, especially university exams and I had to stop...

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

No, no, maybe later becouse i've put that ship becouse i want to make it destructable Just for fun I'll adjust everything later so it'll work better
    As for now small update added to download file: now there is no problem with steep hills (sorry that so late but i just figured it out xD)

Okay, but having a 5000 poly ship doesn't mean it can't be destructible. It can have the same ammount of detail as your current ship, but without unnecessary polys, for example, in flat surfaces.

Very good! The overall handling is excellent, very Wipeout-y.

Crits:

Xpand is right in you need to optimize your ship - no biggie!

The ship is too bouncy - on start the ship is bouncing too much and does not settle down, but I imagine its a matter of tweaking.

I would suggest making a basic arena that has jumps, lumps and obstacles so you can test the handling as a track is a bit too confining to start with. Even a flat plane with some primitives will do. When the handling is solid, then start with the tracks.

But well done though! You set a goal and did it What next?

Update from me:

I never realised how much work is involved in making a game! I have the following done:

1 ) User selectable ship (I have two test ships but I have the designs for about eight)

2 ) User selectable weapons (again, I have about eight planned, with four working in test files and two working 'in game')

3 ) In-cockpit and chase views (in fact, you could have many more views as its quite easy to set up).

4 ) Ability to have in game damage- bits fall off, the main mesh gets /can be swapped for a more beat up version

5 ) Started thinking about sound (ship noises etc)

6 ) Have the basics of a menu system going (tied into point 1)

7 ) Have a basic weight system (heavy weapons slow you down, etc). As a byproduct, you can drop spent weapons in front of ships to bash into them.

8 ) A basic pathfinding AI via nodes

To do:

Finish the art assets (i.e. finalise the concept art and make the ships/ tracks / menus)

Streamline the scripts /logic- since I was learning as I went along, a lot of my scripts are.....a bit and need to be tweaked. The integration phase where I added the weapons to the main file helped me to see problems that would have sent me mad later.

Integrate lap timers, best times etc.

Playtesting: although since my ships fly rather than float, the track layout will be simpler.

So I would say I'm about 35% to 40% complete.

Nice!

BTW zerogrowlithe: Do you make your tracks in real scale (the track's length is in the order of Km) or do you scale it down? 'Cause I make mine real size, just as the ships.

Cassandra update:
    Attachment 2724

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Next? Hmmm:
    - A.I. as well with nodes
    - Weapon Pads/Speed Pads (why not begin with it )
    - Some weapons
    - Simple menu... or maybe something bigger
    - Destructable ships (normal ship mesh being replaced in damaged places with damaged mesh and this replaced mesh falling-off from ship)
    And everything else what will come to my mind while making this game This is just simple stuff. I suppose that make-able this weekend

Xpand: Eeeeeeh.... hmmmm... my scale is, well, i'm not using any scale xD (maybe not exacly, becouse i've made alphard with some scale and it came up with many mistakes... Corridon wasn't scaled) And now i have to repair my mistakes... but i learned one thing, make your track twice as wide as you have in this moment so it'll be enough ^^And i can tell right now that your track is narrow too (something like mine in widest place), but looks really Wip3out'y (i mean proffesional )
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 15th November 2011 at 08:05 PM.

zero3growlithe: after blowing up your first ship, its hard not to stop! Admittedly, I wrote this was after playing Modern Warfare 3..........

zero3growlithe / Xpand: Its also good to make things to 1:1 scale for things like physics. If objects get too small unpleasant side effects often happen- at the minute my models are actual size.
    Last edited by Rotational_aspect; 15th November 2011 at 08:27 PM.

I don't think it's too narrow. I used Sol 2's dimensons in HD by comparing the length of a ship to the width of the track and it's about 40 meters wide. can you tell me how long is your ship?
    Thanks!

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

I've used WO Pulse ships xD I've extracted ships with track model from UMD while playing it using plug-in and i got that:
    Eight ships put parallel to a wall can fit with no margin on the track (all teams). I somehow lost track of this scheme while making tracks... anyway when you'll be able to check it in practice you can tell me how is it with this scale stuff
    Oh, and my ship is 20 meters long and 8 meters wide.
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 15th November 2011 at 08:42 PM.

What!? Eight ships!? Side by side!

But your ship's size is normal, my Feisar for example is 15 meters long and 6 meters wide...

PSN ID
    apemax18

Great progress everyone.

@zero3growlithe: Great demo even though it's going really slowly for me. It must be going at 3 - 4 FPS. I'm using a 1.6GHz CPU and 64MB, 300MHz graphics card so my comp is clearly not good enough.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Hmmm, something like my netbook so i know how it works as i've tried it on it xD Don't worry, i can make version for those CPU's so u can check it out too
    btw. I won't use in-game any of those tracks i've done so far (Corridon, Alphard, Pashtun Wheel) becouse they were done in Rhinoceros and are damn requiring for resources Repairing them would've taken more time than making a new, better one
    Oh, and i'll add "Making HUD" to my To-Do list ^^
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 16th November 2011 at 06:14 PM.

You see, that's the problem when you use a image render quality ship on a game engine. apemax doesn't have a powerful enough cpu to run the game properly. And rhinoceros is awful to make game models 'cause it uses spline modeling which creates a ton of unneeded meshes that weight down on the framerate. You should use either 3ds max if you have it or blender 3D.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

[facepalm] Doh, he again with this ship... I know thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!! I said that i just want to detonate that ******* ******* stupid piece of and get it the hell out of my game And i know already that Rhino is not for games Pffffffffffff.... detonation on friday

The Unity demo on max settings ran well on my quad core /GTX 460 card- out of all the settings it provided the most stable speed- the lowest settings was too fast as there seemed to have no speed limiting.

Looking forward to the explosion........

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

I wonder if i'll make this boom today as my dear Unity thought about hitting my eyes with beautiful error and getting my project &$%&$% up just when i thought about getting it saved...
    Anyway i wanted to say that track with width of 8-ships-side by side is still a little to narrow
    Slight Update:
    - ship's speed is framerate independent
    - bouncing is not so strong on jumps
    - car chase camera... not my script
    - Eheheh, check it yourself (Boom and not only)
    UPDATE:
    https://rapidshare.com/files/1071611..._boooom___.rar (still fighting with this collisions problem... btw. "space" to respawn)
    btw. Apemax, i think this version should work better now on your PC (but just a little)
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 19th November 2011 at 05:49 PM.

Nice job! Do I see the energy/ speed bar scale in and out at speed? At this rate you will be finished soon!

And more punch to the explosion....I want to see bits of ship bounce off my monitor! Also, perhaps try a slightly higher friction value on the track to aid handling.

I am interested in how you got the hover effect, do you mind posting or explaining how you did that?

Props!

You've done a great job!

Here come the suggestions: Add more polys to the track so it feels smoother even when colliding. The handling of the ship is perfect, you just need to stop it from accelerating when you're in the air so we won't shoot out of the track. Oh and sometimes, when you come out of the jump slow and land on the track, the ship goes right through it...

Also gameplay art suggestions: When the ship crashes make the camera close in and rotate around the wreck. Make the camera move backwards when you accelerate to give a more speedy feel to the game. Put the camera closer to the ship pointing almost straing foward, maybe only with a bit of pitch.

It's awesome! When you want some tracks and ships, I can send you, just tell me the file format you want them to be on!
    Last edited by Xpand; 19th November 2011 at 09:36 PM.