Page 3 of 179 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Instead of going for details, perhaps you should try to develop the ships silhouette a bit more and break up the primary shape you have based your ship on.

Here is an example of using a volume to its potential- the poly count is low but you get a well defined shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, but that poly count would suit a PSP system... Even Wipeout Pulse's ships have more polys than that...

Here's some wireframe pics of the ship:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/749/feisarpoly.jpg
    http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7...isarpolyft.jpg

Yeah, this ship has some unnecessary details, but an optimize modifier can work just fine removing some polys...

Here's a ship I made only for gaming:
    http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/493/prot.jpg

Oh and thanks for the fonts!
    Last edited by Xpand; 8th August 2010 at 11:37 AM.

Just had a look at your wireframes-

1: While it is true Max (not sure so much with GMax) you have modifiers to reduce the poly count, it is always better to be able to do mesh reduction yourself as you have total control- weld is your best mate!

I assume those pics are WIP as you still have a line where the model has been cloned and mirrored, and you could simplify the sides of the Feisar if you do not intend to use those polys- however I think you should try to break up the solid triangle shape a little. Plus try a 4 or 5 sided cylinder for the pipes- will look the same but has less overhead.

2: I cant really tell but I dont think (on the underside) the pipes or the long, thin strakes on the wings are attached to anything. Most professional meshes try to have everything connected so the mesh is 'closed'- this helps game engines as otherwise it causes problems with shadows and other artifacts.

The prototype is an interesting shape, sort of AG meets Piranha. Keep at it!

BTW, is Blender any good for games development?

1. Yeah, I guess I could make a simpler model...

2. The pipes aren't attached but the poly's that are inside the main body were cut and deleted... There are no problems with shading with that, I exported the model to FSX which has model shadows and there was no strange shading...

I based my prototype more on the Turboweevel, but looking at it again does resemble the AG-Systems...

Blender is a good exporter. It also has it's own game engine (which is much simpler than C coding because all events are linked through wires like: keyboard (key X) ----- and ------ action.)
    But a good game quality is hard to achieve since the material render doesn't work the same way as the image render on normal modeling.... You can map something correctly on the 3D views but when you start the game engine the map gets distorted... At least that's what has been happening to me...

I'm also learning C++ programming to use OpenGL and create the game engine...
    I started yesterday and I currently know how to make simple logical operators and conditions....

Ok, here's the Feisar plans for this game (The previous one was a test):
    Attachment 1902
    It's about 8 meters long and 5 meters wide with a height of about 3 meters.
    Last edited by Xpand; 15th August 2010 at 01:32 PM.

feisar looks great m8

That looks really good, much better than your first model. My only suggestion would be (if GMax has it- it should do) is to use smoothing groups to the canopy and other areas to make hard egdes- the shading is making the model look a bit 'puffy'.

Keep going!

Thanks! Gmax has smoothing groups. But usually I detach the canopy's glass and that solves the problem..

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    MetaKraken (formerly MechaKraken)

I'm thinking about Wipeout HD Remix, since I like teams Tigron and Van-Uber (if Studio Liverpool hadn't left it out) and they should add more tracks from Wipeout Pure and Pulse turned HD, such as De Konstruct, Vertica, Outpost 7, Sincuit, Blue Ridge, Fort Gale, Basilico, Edgewinter, Gemini Dam, etc. all turned to HD.

MetaKraken that's work for sony's developers... We're making a tribute game of Wipeout by making a game based on the amateur league part of Wipeout with various classes corresponding to F3600 ships; XL ships; F7200 ships and homemade ships made by small teams (Wipeoutzone users)...

But before we go nuts we have to have a base platform game to add details and ships...

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    MetaKraken (formerly MechaKraken)

Ah. Sorry, my bad. Well, it's because I have returned to the forums and have nearly forgotten about Wipeout .

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Only more input for tracks

Brilliant! Thanks for posting that link!!

Wow! That's awesome! The only problem is that I don't have PS2's pulse....

Sorry guys but All wipeout trademarks belong to SL/Psygnosis.
    While you can keep developing and coming up with ideas.
    in the end its not going to get anywhere because its not legal.

Bah, we'll change the name of everything...

OutWipe by Studio Everton?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Isn't it fan art anyway?

I agree.. It's a tribute, do you think they will care about copyright on a tribute game?

I think it depends a lot on the copyright holders- some fan games have been tolerated (mainly by game developers) but I've seen others given the cease and desist by large IP holders like EA or Sony (perhaps because fan games are just as good in some cases as the real thing!!)

You could write to them and asked for permission but this may bring you to their attention, so it is a bit of a gamble.

And in any case, diehard players know what is all about, even if you do pilot a Fasar or AK Systems ship