Page 28 of 179 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Thanks for your involvement in this project
    For now we already have advertises on billboards, HUD (if you all will like it), but no team logos (i mean those small that are on ships), and no menu for this game (name - Velocity: Evolution). What else? Hmmmm... Logo of our development team doesn't exist, so you could design one
    Those are all 2D graphic projects i think

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SomeWhiteNoise

Cool

Cool, I can tell those were inspired by the Pulse artwork. Right now I'm working on logos based on your designs, attached are two I just sketched up in like 15 minutes. I might want to tweak a few of your billboards too, can you send me the project files for them? Also, I can easily make animated .gif versions of the billboards so they're moving like in Wipeout. That would be cool, if the game can support it of course.

The HUD looks pretty good, though I'm a bit confused about the whole seperate Hyperthrust bar thing. And I don't think there should be a bar in the center, they look better when they're on either side IMO. 3D graphics are out of my league, but 2D I can dominate.

We'll also need icons for the weapons, perhaps some billboards for 'real' companies instead of the teams, and a logo for the league, every F has one. What are you guys (the development team) calling yourself?

P.S. I kinda skimmed through the thread before, you can't name it Wipeout so Sony won't sue you? I bet you could get away with calling it Wipeout Tribute, or something along those lines. Velocity: Evolution just sounds too... Hot Wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 23rd May 2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: quote removed

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Slacker, happy you came! Aspect, I'm trying some scrips, first HUD then explosion (from dieing).

Question Slacker, can you draw a track? I make it in Blender(or make texture), Aspect add AI(or make track) and Zero add environment. When Xpand comes he can add Ships (just thinking of a plan).

P.S. I hope the thread I made will get us some ideas and talent. F.E.I.S.A.R said he wants a few short cuts. Want to make a few?

P.S.S. I draw cover! And name! Yeah?

Slack, want me to draw a few icons with you?
    Last edited by feisar rocket; 16th May 2011 at 02:15 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SomeWhiteNoise

I can draw up a track or two no problem. Like manually with a pencil and paper though, I am serious crap with 3D modelling software. I'll scan my ideas and post them here for you to work on. And sure, any help with the icons would be welcome. I'm just working off the basic feel from those billboards for them.

I do have high school to deal with for the next three weeks, with finals and everything, but I'll help when I can. Once I'm on summer vacation I can devote more time to the project.
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 23rd May 2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Quote deleted

feisar rocket: Aspect, I'm trying some scrips, first HUD then explosion (from dieing).
    I look forward to seeing this, at the minute I am trying to perfect the individual elements before I bring them together, something that shouldnt be too hard (it would be an overlay scene in Blender).

I may leave the loop problem for the time being, its not a show stopper.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Here are those commercials: https://rapidshare.com/files/779297805/Commercials.rar
    About name of "wipeout game makers" i have one suggestion: WeBrothers Designs (it's meant to be: web brothers {big "B" = Beta symbol})
    Feisar, if you think that i'm good at it I can take up that work (i mean making environment)

EDIT: Game name: Slipstream GX or GravitRacers (...this one is strange...) or Catalyst Thruster and this already existing
    Velocity: Evolution

I like the last one and 3rd one... which ones you guys like?
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 16th May 2011 at 07:19 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

got a possible concept for a track here if you're interested... (sorry about the cuality of the picture... the camera is crap)

the idea is it's a disused limestone quarry where nature is taking over, complete with brutalist architecture possibilties for beautiful scenery and lots of interesting twists and turns.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Ahh, i see that you'd like to fly through old "aztecs" catacombs and other environments I can say that it is good idea for track... oh, i can even see it in my mind Ok, so my next project after Pashtun Wheel (jezze, how long do i intend to make it ) is this. Thanks

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Slacker: "...I do have high school to deal with..."

Yeah, I need to do go this term to get to a good high school. Always Gr. 7 last term that gets people.

P.S. Yes! Youngest person helping out!

P.S.S. I'll quote like this to keep typing space.

Zero, Slipstream GX (SGX sounds so F-zero ! )

Aspect, remember TRYING. I might fail mid way or get a 8-bit explosion

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SomeWhiteNoise

Thumbs up

Finished my first track design, Caldrion II. I guess I'm not so crappy at 3D modelling after all

9 pictures of the track:
    http://img163.imageshack.us/g/82965350.png/

The environment's not quite there yet, but the framework is, mostly. Not exact, but a sketch.
    Last edited by Slacker; 19th May 2011 at 09:02 PM.

Hey, how about this for AI:
    In blender: The ship has two invisible boxes in the nose, each with a "near" sensor. Imagine we have a right turn. The left box's near sensor would be activated, because the left wall get's nearer, and it would turn a propertie true. Then the ship's rotating actuator would read the change of that propertie and turn the ship right until the distance between the two walls in relation to the two boxes are the same.
    Can you make somehting up from that? I can't right now...

Xpand: I have tried something like that, and in theory it is a good idea. You can see what I came up with in one of my earlier posts where I had a blend file with this system in action.

To really make it work, you need to mix in states. This is because the AI works on touch; since the speeds are quite high the ships rotation must also be high and causes instability. Also, because of the closing speed, sometimes while turning the other opposite turning sensor gets activated and the AI fails.

States would get around this by disabling the opposite turning actuator when in a turn.

This sounds confusing, but when you make it in Blender it makes sense (promise!)

Here is a simple blend that demonstrates:

Speed limiting

Speed indicator (visual, i.e. a bar that extends)

Speed readout (in numbers)

Press UP cursor to move the cube.
    Attached Files Attached Files

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Nyah... nobody checked your work (i think so) since you posted it, so i checked it and:
    - i like increasing speed of cube when "up button" is pressed (and indicator)
    - i like how it decreases speed when "up button" not pressed
    - don't know if it was intentional, but i noticed that when cube is out of surface it slows down slower, that's nice

btw. check what happens in console while cube is slowing down while out of surface... don't know if it should be fixed but it seems to be wrong, i mean speed parameter is too long, if possible: to shorten speed parameter to 0:00 and stop it right at 0:00 somehow... it doesn't seem to stop :/
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 24th May 2011 at 08:09 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Sorry for not coming on in a while. I'm terrible at scrips, at a begginer at logic but, nodes (textures, etc) I'm pro (sorry for talking about my self) If you need a texture just ask.

In an other layer, make walls, just for the AI, or have 3 lines (paths) center, left wing, right wing. I think 3 paths take more work but, has smoother response (ex: a rocket hits the left side dissabling the center and right path. After impact, activating an attraction to the wall on the left side. I'll explain later, ok?

As far as the Python script goes, in that example the script only checks forward (x) movement, so when the cube falls (z) the x motion will eventually drop back. I do have a more up to date version- I may post it sometime.

Rotational or feisar_rocket, is it possible for you to make some sort of model loader so that we don't have to squeeze all the ships and tracks into the game's exe?

Just give me 2 more weeks and I'll be up and running at 110%.

I'll give a hand on blender programming if needed, but I'll focus more on the modeling and texturing and audio part. I also make music. If you want I can create the soundtrack for the game.
    Here's some examples of what I do:

www.youtube.com/Rbngmusic

As far as a model loader, blender doesn't work like that. The way I was going to do my game was to have a separate layer that models are called from when needed.

And any help is good! See you in 14 days!

Btw nice music! I imagine the wo music would be a lot darker in tone though, think Smartbomb or any wo3 tune would stylistically fit the bill...but that's my opinion!
    Last edited by Rotational_aspect; 25th May 2011 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks!
    Yeah I can make dark mechanic-like futuristic music no problem.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

I was thinking about classic tracks and how to have a big return for it. Maybe, I can make combonations of tracks! I'll draw and show you guys different tracks, huh?