Page 18 of 179 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Those are looking nice! Can't wait to get my hands on blender... one more week and I'll be up and making games again!

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

I have my school subjects rearranged (except physics) and i have free hand to make many 3D models

EDIT: Updated track:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/zero3gr...18944002142290
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 19th March 2011 at 04:11 PM.

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

I made a building (on the tracks sides) it looks cool. I'll upload it when I go on my netbook but, im trying to make the Toros ring move and it won't so...

MyNameIsBom, nice track! I just make simple ones...

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Talking

wow you're amazing zero3!! nice work!!
    Love to see more from you!
    What programme did you use to create the tracks?

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Rhinoceros 4.0 (my blog: zero3growlithe.wordpress.com)
    btw. If you had known how easy is it, you wouldn't have said that
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 19th March 2011 at 09:56 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

I'm working on an new track at the moment, and your blog won't show up on my laptop.. Is the link broken? the page just comes up blank

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Link is correct: check your browser's options like: java script/eneble flash/show images etc.

btw. from upper posts i undarstand that track is good and i can continue making it

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Questions about track:

- track have to be done in skies or on ground?
    - should i make 3D clouds if in sky?
    - how much detailed it must be (buildings=textures or 3D made buildings) <- you know what i mean?
    - what it should be like? light (like Sol 2) or dark (like Amphiseum)?
    - is name "Pashtun Wheel" good? (i know, it sounds strange)
    - does somebody likes my tracks

It can be in the sky.
    Make simple tracks first: jsut focus on the track itself.
    After testing in the program, you can make the rest... Maintain the polycount low for now...

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

I'll keep that in mind... for now i have this with 27017 poligons count
    I'll make it flying in the sky
    Already got the idea in my mind

Timezone
    GMT + 12

it was meant to be like metropia's style up and around buildings but ok...
    I also just done another track,
    it has Anulpha pass, Sebenco, and Moa Therma bits in it... Will post it soon

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Hey man <- ("i didn't know that it sounded as if i been angry"), i'm the "God" of this model, so i can make/change/destroy everything, so metropia like style (even better) is piece of cake
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 21st March 2011 at 07:49 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Wink

I didn't say it was bad! sorry if my comment offended you, my bad I was really speechless after I saw the track! it was awesome!!!!

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

no, no, no... i just said i can do anything, i meant that if you want metropia style, then i can make it for you, becouse it's your project. Don't be sad (btw. i'm not offended )

You can upload next track

Rotational_Aspect, here's the track in .obj so you can check it if it's possible to ride on it (most likely there will be problem with loop, i think that i must give it more poli's)
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 22nd March 2011 at 09:25 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Talking

Mixing tracks, I see. I should mix classics (W'O and XL and 3 tracks. Mabey Fusion) and add pit lanes to them (because their classic). Good idea?! Yeah, mabey?
    Last edited by feisar rocket; 23rd March 2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: incorrect grammer

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Talking

yeah thats a good I dea feisar rocket, I just wanted to have some existing bits of tracks in my desings so I thought why not have different bits of each tracks in a single track, it sounded bad at the start but actually is good idea in the end!

edit:
    @zero3growlithe
    I'm having trouble with internet in the laptop, the Internet is down so it takes a very loooooooooooooooooooong time to upload the pictures. Once they're on the net they get corrupted -_-
    so I got to wait till Internet is back up. Meanwhile I'll come up with more ideas/concepts, this time with 3D-ish more details and maybe description of where it is.
    Thanks for you efforts btw zero3growlithe!!! you rock!
    Last edited by MyNameIsBom; 23rd March 2011 at 07:54 AM.

Exclamation

This will be a mini update as to what I am doing at the minute.

zero3growlithe- here is the good news and bad news.

Good news- the .obj import worked well

Bad news- at the minute the physics for the ships does not do loop the loops. They are possible (Yo Frankie (A Blender game) had them) but mag strip stuff is way off right now. Also, its hard to explain but the track as to be made in a certain way for the physics to work without glitches- the simpler the geometry the better. The only real way of doing this is to get a working control scheme for a player in Blender and construct the track and test as you go to check for glitches. It also means you have more control over the model process and you dont have to import/ export anything.

Therefore a better way of making tracks would be to use Blender.

OK, mini update (at the minute all Logic Blocks)

Speed pads- working
    Recharge lane- working
    3-2-1 go race start (which stops players/ AI starting until go! is displayed)- working
    Semi working start/finish line that asigns race positions (per lap only, more complex would requre Python)
    Timer- WIP, might require Python

Movement (own section)- subjective as what I like others might not, but here are my findings.

The Blender dynamic physics objects are not suited for high speed (i.e. Rapier+) as turning becomes difficult and glitches start to crop up (spinning etc) when dynamic torque is applied. In my set up I use rot rather than Z torque as it seems more stable. However, AI that turns looks juddery using this method. I could use loc and rot (non dynamic) with Python to increase speed gradually but that is not a realistic short term option (i.e. Python is very new to me).

My setup in a simple Blender track (forward, limited reverse, sideshifting, true hovering using material physics) - working

AI- this has its own section as I have tried several approaches.

Approach 1: Node based- works, but with logic blocks is very complicated and has several flaws when using dynamic (physics based) objects.

Approach 2: Node based with movement based on non-dynamic objects- works better but movement is unrealistic (instant acceleration).

Approach 3: Hybrid of 1 & 2- Node based with a dynamic object tracking a non-dynamic 'dummy' object. Works, but still complicated with the flaws of approach 1.

Approach 4: Track has a pre-determined path that a node follows. The node advances several frames when a ship gets near it (the node thus acts as a waypoint of sorts). This approach is best (so far) as it is simple to set up.

In all cases I have experimented with using force fields, rays and radars to detect objects with partial success.

AI following -I tried a way to combine AI path following as well as aiming by making the AI ships etc ships follow the ship in front rather than the node (so weapons are automatically aimed) -WIP, partial success, lots of logical errors

Weapon AI -not started, but the use of radar and rays to detect ships in range on paper should be easy.

To do:

Investigating dynamic text

Work on my own racing game concepts-(my game will be significantly more different than WipeOut)

Try to learn some basic Python

Investigate 2D filters in Blender

Whew! Thats that for now, if anyone wants to play with the blend files of any of the above just request it here and I will see what I can do.

PLEASE!!!

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

About that strange AI ships starting i think i have an idea.
    How about making some checkpoints in general points of track, that when an AI fly through it, it will get an defined instruction that initiate combination of buttons that player uses, for example:

Race starts, AI gets instruction "X button for whole race" (so it accelerate same as player)
    but what about rest of the race? Can be like i said (checkpoints and specialy defined button combination or line, alternating) or only defined line after first checkpoint to the end of the race.

Don't know if you understand me through my complicated english (i have 5 from this subject in school though)

btw. I knew that import works well becouse i'm checking models with blender before uploading
    btw2. <- (???) I think that i can eliminate loops, becouse i think they're useless (but i can leave them untouched MyNameIsBom, if you want), i've eliminated one from my Corridon6 so far.
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 23rd March 2011 at 07:41 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

I can't even use blender (good). I can make buildings but, tracks-just a touch (then CRITICAL fail).

I made a building and will upload by this weekend. I just can't move that wicked toros surface (for floting feels).

For tracks in 3D, I use 3Dtin (app on Chrome). It can't realy run games (or make games) but, it really works. I just need to link the photos in a photo editor.

I'm going to look on the net for an other developer and report back.

I would love to learn how to use Blender. Any tips, PM me.