Page 16 of 179 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

I have a blend file here, just let me finish what I'm doing...
    Huh, the spinning is a little boring... I guess I could make two invisible objects: one on the tail of the ship and the other on the nose. Add a script so their property became true when their axis rotated 180 degrees and then add a actuator on the ship to add a torque force until the property becomes false again...

Xpand: That sounds a good way to stop the rotation, the other way I thought of was to use the parent actuator. Have a dummy set as the physics object with the visible player ship parented to the dummy. When the dummy registers a hit with the track sides (set via materials) it could be possbile to unparent the ship from the dummy and stop the spinning (as at that point only the dummy has collided with anything).

One cheating way might be to use the Python car script. This will stop the ships drifting as the ship is guided using invisible wheels and may (due to anisotropic friction) stop the wild spins at high speed. This would also mean you would have to fake the hovering motion with an IPO etc. but it is doable.

I had hoped force fields would solve this issue (and they have to a degree)- though I think Python is the way to go to fine tune things.

Ok, updated Blend file time! Find attached a semi-good handling set up. Its still a bit slippery, but the players ship does not spin out when it hits something. The track is just a tester so you are meant to hit the sides!

Update number 2, tweaked the handling some more.

jesse9705: http://www.blender.org/
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rotational_aspect; 9th February 2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: More updated files

I can't start the game on your file... must be some compatibility issue...
    Anyways,here goes the speed pad file.

Thanks for the file, will learn lots from that!

I forgot to add that I've made the jump to 2.56a, now I know what I'm doing it is a better layout than 2.49b. I've tried opening the file in 2.49 and you are right as it fails to open. If you want you can install 2.56a into another separate folder. I use this setup as it means I can take a look at older files pre 2.56, and they don't interfere with each other.

The only problem I have at the minute is I seem to have a strange bug in the movement of the ship, but aside from that it seems to be quite 'Wipeout'-y. I will post back when its cracked!

Thinking about it some more, you could apply the same logic to making a pit lane, if the ray hits the pit lane texture/ model the players energy value increases. I stupidly forgot I can make standalone runtimes: You can download the handling test here: (Its 17.3mb ish and named WO.zip).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2MQ1Q3FN
    Last edited by Rotational_aspect; 14th February 2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Ideas

Its been a while, so here is an update! (2.56 file though).

Been tinkering with logic blocks etc and I have got a working energy meter that recharges and never goes over a set limit, plus I have also included the speedboost logic from Xpand. The ship also has a slow parented camera and collisions do not spin the ship. The level is pretty simple so still lots to do. By the way, if the energy drops to zero, the placeholder game over scene appears (a black looking box).
    Attached Files Attached Files

PSN ID
    jesse9705

cant seem to open some of these they are .250 files? what's wrong then?

The files require 2.56a, which as far as I know is the latest beta of blender.

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Sorry for coming so late ( 1 yr later). Can i help? I'm not good at programming but, making clay models and drawing is wat I can do. So can I? If you can sent photos of how far you guys are and I'll work from there.
    Last edited by feisar rocket; 1st March 2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Made a error

I have not worked with XNA before but I am pretty good with visual C#.

let me know If i can be of any assistance with the XNA thing.

Well, at the moment we're trying out the physics in Blender, then we'll make the shift to C type programs.

If I'm being honest, I am only creating a Blender template to a point and then my racing game will diverge from the Wipeout mould. As well as this I will stick with Blender and learn Python, and when I feel confident then I may try C.

By the way, added side shifting- if you toggle 'tap' on the keyboard sensor it stops people sideshifting continuously.

My next challenge will be to do a race start countdown, and then AI.

Gotta check that AI thing... Do you use recorded physics or real AI?

I will try to use / develop real AI that reacts to the environment / other ships. I have some ideas but it will take a while to build, luckily Blender excels in allowing rapid prototyping- I have already got a working 3-2-1-go! style countdown after about 30 mins tinkering.

Recorded physics would be OK, Ive seen (and linked to) YouTube videos with this happening but I would prefer the real thing if I can.

I have tried to read as many articles on racing AI as I can, however, most are just too complicated so I may try for a waypoint system.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Unhappy

I'll take that as a no...

No one said no! We don't have ships nor real tracks yet. You can start making some concepts for those!

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

We have track, my corridon6, or you just don't like it. If so, then i'll do my best to make it raceable (or how you spell that) and i'll work some on scale, becouse it's still too BIG environment. Track is not suitable for phantom speed too, i must flatten it a little)

btw. About progrraming... hmmmmm, no time, that's all. I've completly thrown my school lessons to "recycle bin" . Making up slowly makes my busy all the time
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 5th March 2011 at 07:40 PM.

Oh, right yeah! I forgot that one sorry!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Quote Originally Posted by Xpand View Post
    No one said no! We don't have ships nor real tracks yet. You can start making some concepts for those!
    Ohh, ok! ( Don't be mad at me...)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotational_aspect View Post
    If I'm being honest, I am only creating a Blender template to a point and then my racing game will diverge from the Wipeout mould. As well as this I will stick with Blender and learn Python, and when I feel confident then I may try C.

By the way, added side shifting- if you toggle 'tap' on the keyboard sensor it stops people sideshifting continuously.

My next challenge will be to do a race start countdown, and then AI.
    python is very easy to learn, so is C. you should start with C as python is primarily an interpreted language. learn the data structures and move on from there.

Crash8308> While Python is only an interpreted language, for me its a good start as I am a bit of a slow learner and I like the tight intergration with Blenders engine (i.e. the logic blocks of BGE allow me to visualise things more easily). In the future (when I have time to sit back- which is never) I may give C a go, but at the minute this is just a fun hobby and accessibility is key. Once apon a time I did start to use a program called Gamestudio which had a C like language but that just was too hard for my skill level at the time.