Page 15 of 179 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

In a word, no. If you ripped assets from games that is copywright theft and Sony won't be happy.

And why not just make something original rather than just copying what exists? In the mean time just use simple boxes as dummies when testing, and sort out the game logic first.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Who said that i want to put tracks from original Wipeout to our? I just want to do an overview of possible ways for making this game... (i know that we can't copy anything from original games)

You wont learn very much from doing this- at best you will see how developers model assets suitable for low end hardware. But as far as programming, you will get very little.

The bottom line is people on this thread need to do a reality check. Modelling, thinking up ideas and drawing are easy. What is hard is making it all work and doing the programming- something I realised very soon after starting this as a hobby.

Its why my Blender manual is so worn out, you have to accept that there are no short cuts or silver bullets and start learning to code. This is the reason why I chose Blender, as it has graphical logic blocks that I can understand, and Python for advanced work. I used to use Gamestudio but I realised my skill level was too low at that time to learn Lite C (the language it uses) which is similar to C. Even now I struggle, but I resist trying to look too deeply into other commercial games as it just wastes time and energy. But as I struggle to learn Python /BGE logic you start to see how games should be structured. This is important as you learn solid foundations that serve you better in the long run rather than grasping at straws hoping a quick fix is a Google search away.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but unless people understand this fact then this thread will just fill up with ideas and drawings and not what it was created for, which was to make a simple fan-made game.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Cool

Ok, i understand you clearly

Gosh!I still can't make the Fh work... Can you send me a floating box example so I can see what's missing?

Oh, and I have concept drawings of two ships... I'll post them tomorrow.
    Woops.. sorry for the double post... I accidently pressed quote instead of edit...
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 19th January 2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Merged double post

Here is a very simple demonstation of using the fh dist setting. Remember:

Do FH must be enabled on the actor (in this case the cube). The cubes physics setting is DYNAMIC.

The ground is set to STATIC. Under the materials for the ground, set DYN to on, play with the various physics settings to reduce/ eliminate the springyness. Dampening will eliminate it.

W moves right and S goes left.

This is my limit at the moment, still learning. I'm finding the transtion to 2.55/ 2.56 very confusing so this is from 2.49.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks a LOT! I have 2.49 too...

So, yeah! I made a simple game in blender, just to put the Fh to test and it's really good, with the little problem of the ship spinning out of control when it touches the wall, even if it is just a scratch...
    Last edited by Xpand; 20th January 2011 at 09:55 PM.

Excellent news, I'm glad its all starting to work- post some screenshots if you can! If its not being cheeky can you post the blend file? I wouldnt mind having a look at something that works.

As far as the control issues, you may want to play with the ships mass settings (in the actor panel) to make it harder for collisions to make it spin out of control. Another way might be to ghost the ship and link it to a primitive shape, as this may make the collision engine more predictable and less unstable.

At the minute I am looking at servo movement as this may give the feeling of 'drift' in the controls

Well, here's the blender file:

http://www.4shared.com/file/I4U0stCT/Wo_blend_game.html

Keys:
    up arrow - accelerate
    left and right - turn

R - Restart

Thanks for sharing!

Thats a realy good start, cetainly is good to see a logic set up in action. Now you can try out your tracks once you have tweaked the handling. You may want to look at constraints for the ships motion too, stopping any bad crashes!

I bet you loved it when you saw your ship flying around! I zoomed out and saw the track- very Zone like!

One question though, what does the ray sensor and the python script do? I'm guessing it aligns the ship to the surafce normal. If this is the case, there is an option 'rotate from normal' in the physics section that might do something similar.

Yeah, I liked it a lot... I'll see about those constrains...

The ray sensor and script indeed aligns the object to the track's faces normal.

The ship has a texture map... I forgot to include it on the pack...

About the constraint: I used a directional constraint, but it's set to the global y axis. Is there any way to set it to the local y axis? Or should I use an angular velocity constraint?
    Last edited by Xpand; 21st January 2011 at 09:52 PM.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

Xpand how is the track me and feasier made going

Xpand: have you tried using the L button on the constraint logic panel? When its active (ie pressed down) it uses the objects local axis.

Gotta see that...
    Jesse, I want to finish the game basics before making the models...

I'm thinking of making these too:
    http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2024/protonx.jpg
    http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8070/agsfx200.jpg

Now I'm addicted to profile views, lol!
    Last edited by Xpand; 23rd January 2011 at 05:16 PM.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

i thought of how they can make their own custom ship skins
    and image that is pretty much the skin of the entire ship
    then the name it like
    Pretend the ships a triakis
    TRIAKIS.CUSTOMSKIN
    rather then them having to program the skin they just then put it in the skin folder and they can cycle it on off in the actual game

Details... I have the speed pads config on blender. I used a ray sensor and properties.

Did you ever sort out the handling of the ships Xpand? I've been trying but I think some spin on collision is inevitable. Have you got a demo blend with these speed pads? They sound pretty cool!

Find attached my experimentation with force field constraints- at the minute they are exaggerated so I can see if they are working (or not!). I thought they might be useful as they can be assigned on or off (kind of like auto assist in WO HD). The only problem is the track has to be designed in a certain way to stop physics glitches but they have potential.
    Attached Files Attached Files

PSN ID
    jesse9705

im not sure what i can use to open the blend files what can i use

They open in a 3d program called Blender.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

where can i download this program