Page 149 of 179 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 3564

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Quote Originally Posted by Xpand View Post
    It's very hard to find good tree textures with transparency, not to mention making your own.
    You should try cgtextures.com

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one... Thanks...
    This is what I've been using...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Mind the license, though!

Indeed that's always a problem... But I can always try and replicate them...

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Well, it is not so hard to create a transparent tree texture, for example all tree textures that were present on Tristans Inferior were done by me by cutting them out in Photoshop based on color keying and some other methods xd

Not sure if you had read this, a few questions from last page

Where is the latest download?

A couple questions

1) is pitch control in yet, meaning nose up down when the ship is on the track, and up down control in the air?

2) is there analog, or joystick control for the ships. I really want to test my negcon on this ( element 42s design).

3). Also, at a later date, maybe putting in control options such as
    A) steering sensitivity on analog sticks
    B) dead zone adjustments
    C) custom controls ( you may have this already?)
    Last edited by JABBERJAW; 22nd October 2012 at 01:07 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

A while back I made a set of tree prefabs based on that texture; you can always use that to drop trees in easily

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Quote Originally Posted by Rotational_aspect View Post
    The rocket trails look at bit odd. I would expect something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CRF53SNzHA (about 1:09) and smoke trails....but this is more personal opinion so you can have it like you want!
    The rockets are just some particle effects as of now. We already have a real 3D rocket model and of course those spark effects will be changed aswell. They also fly way too uncontrolled at the moment.
    All kinds of pickups are in a very very early state at the moment. You might notice the cannon bullets get shot from the wings instead of the minigun^^

docfo4r: That's cool, you should see my trails (they are just planes!).

My only thought was not putting too much emphasis onto weapon effects if they will barely be seen. In HD the explosions are quite simple, and when going at Phantom speed they may just be overlooked.

And aren't the rockets supposed to be 'dumb'(press fire and off they go in straight/expanding lines)? Its only the seeker that needs to home in.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Yes I thought so, too. The rockets should travel straight forward to make a precise shot possible.

Weapons are a queued task at the moment so once the coding starts here, we all can decide if an effect is good/too weak/overloaded.

Also, short update: Remember that Nazca Remains is an over 100 years old track, so mind the cracks

Last edited by docfo4r; 22nd October 2012 at 05:09 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by Xpand View Post
    But I seem to be under the impression that you expect something like Wipeout HD from us.
    No, what I am doing is suggesting things to make what you already have better. Some things like the trees right now don't require that much of an effort actually (top hit on google search fyi) and it will look much better. Other things like upping texture resolution is indeed more involved for less of an improvement, but that is indeed just my suggestion. I was also talking about just putting more details into it, ie put some different looking parts in the textures you already have to break up the monotony when they are mapped to large surfaces. About the lighting, I don't know how simply it can be done with Unity but again, this is just basically down to modifying values in engine to give the shadows more contrast so that not everything is lit up uniformly like it is right now. Finally, I suggest the terrain tool because while you can indeed control the polygon count with your 3D modeling, it's just much more impractical (in my opinion) than having a fully separate terrain you can remodel anytime with simple tools, not to mention texturing it will be a hell of a lot easier.

I hope you can see that I'm not asking you to rework the entire game, just improve certain things I feel are lacking right now compared to other things you already have in there.

More trees from the same guys:
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...el-tree/480769
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...ds-free/480746
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...ds-free/480774
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...d-model/480733
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...d-model/480700

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    Where is the latest download?
    Here. There's everything but deadzone adjustment and sensitivity. Analog will work so long as your prototype is properly recognized by the computer. You can adjust deadzone and sensitivity with Windows anyways I believe.
    Last edited by Darkdrium777; 22nd October 2012 at 06:17 PM.

In this case it's better for them to use meshes instead of terrain, unity's terrain editor is probably one of the weakest parts of the engine. Supports diffuse only, no normal support so you need buy plugins, but then you get performance penalty because code is not optimized or it gets unstable.
    Last edited by cobaninboban; 22nd October 2012 at 06:23 PM.

Texturing the terrain isn't hard. The only reason it has one texture only is because I like to take care of non-modeling details after I modeled the whole thing. And mesh corrections don't take long. I find it easier to control each individual vertice and face than have like a drawing tool...

About the trees, they're a pretty good find, but here's why I don't use them: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...d-model/480700 Polygons: 14,600

That's twice the polycount of a single ship...
    Now in tracks where the tree count is low (like 20 at max) it's ok. But in DC there are over 500 trees, plus bushes and short grass. And since Unity renders the whole scenery at once (unlike some game engines that only render in a certain range from the camera), it would take forever just to draw 1 frame. I can adapt that design into a low poly 3D tree like some we have in DC already. My intent was to make the first layer of trees 3D and then use the 2D trees as background...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Diffuse IMO is still fine for their application if it's done well. What they have now is diffuse too, it's just always the same texture. Using terrain would provide them with some easier texturing and painting solutions I think. The documentation seems to indicate there's at least some form of basic sculpting and painting tools available. I don't know if there's a visibility tool to hide vertices you don't want to see though, which may be a problem.

EDIT: Okay.

About the rendering, damn that's bad. So that's a pro only feature D:
    Also yeah just use the trees as reference or whatever.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Quote Originally Posted by docfo4r View Post
    And now it's already decided to take the bird logo for Nazca Remains. Can't wait to see Alphard, too
    The letters need to be part of the logo.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

UI bug with lap counter.

I think I've narrowed down the scraping issue to when the ship scrapes it's side completely (ie parallel to the wall). If that happens for even a fraction of a second you slow down to 50km/h. Most noticeable in the last turn before the starting grid. I'll play some more though to be sure that's that.

Yeah that lap counter issue is on the to-do list for bugs... We're probably gonna make the counter start in 01-09 so we don't have to dislocate stuff or create numbers...

About the scraping, I think it has to do with the fact that we're using a box colider, so the game interprets the ship as being a box with the absolute dimensions of the ship and detects the collisions accordingly... Something we need to work out better...

I like that the ship slows down a good amount, it rewards excellent driving. Im going to try and test it this weekend, cant wait

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

Xpand, if you take the ships and make low-poly collide meshes (somewhere around six to ten faces depending on the shape of the ship) then that should solve that particular problem.. I tried doing it myself but blender wouldn't load the 3DSs properly.
    Last edited by dreadofmondays; 23rd October 2012 at 02:58 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post
    The letters need to be part of the logo.
    Yep, they will.