Page 105 of 179 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 3564

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Timezone
    GMT -6

First of all, make it optional.

Besides, for newer pilots or unfamiliar tracks, they still need a basic idea of the layout at a glance. Plus, it isn't like they would be staring at it throughout the race.

Whenever I play a racing game, I usually don't pay attention to the minimap, but I do glance at it before the race starts and I also notice when it isn't there.

Its an interesting idea, but not one that fits a WO style game: how can the feature enhance the project?

WO tracks are generally too simple to justify a map- perhaps on a rally game but here its really wasted. You could argue it shows you where your opponents are, however, you can do this via times on a leaderboard (as in online matches) and split times. The Wipeout ethos was always keeping the experience as streamlined and functional as possible and for me your idea goes against this.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

I like that you're enthusiastic amaroq but opposite braking the way it has traditionally been programmed meant that you could get flash time lap records on venom and rapier time lap records on flash. it was an unfortunate error which was exploited to cheat onto the top of the leaderboards still gives me a bitter after taste... it is to a certain extent a game braking glitch which I would really not like to see make a return.

PSN ID
    wildmorgan

'the hell's opposite braking???

I never heard it by that name, but I'm pretty sure it's a physics issue in the early wipeout instalments in which you flew the ship much like a rally car, "opposite locking". You turned left and then shifted to the right using only the airbrakes. I think that's what they're talking about.

I started to remodel the Hangar for the menu. Too bad I can't use the skylight to render this properly because the hangar goes all dark from shadows caused by the ceiling... So I had to go with a light-less render.
    Attachment 6412
    Last edited by Xpand; 20th July 2012 at 11:17 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Quote Originally Posted by Oryx Crake View Post
    ...a game braking glitch...
    I see what you did there! You wrote 'braking' instead of 'breaking' because we were talking about airbrakes.

To be honest, I never knew that about Opposite Braking, just that it caused your craft to drift to the side when turning.

But now that you mention it...

@xpand What are those floating things in the background?

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

@Amaroq:To be frank,applying the airbrakes while turning ALWAYS causes you to drift,the only difference is that the degree of drifting varies among the games.
    In the older games, opposite braking was of use when you wanted to shift sideways to get the best racing line(especially in the first two or three games). This has been replaced by sideshift from Pure onwards.

As for mini-map: Part of WipEout has been memorising the tracks. Either that or improvising.
    Last edited by F.E.I.S.A.R; 21st July 2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Amaroq is quite anal about emoticons and text

Timezone
    GMT -6

Anyway, another reason I want Opposite Braking to be returned is not on my behalf, but for those who have played the older WipEout games and feel that it is easier for whatever reason. For example, familiarity with an old method might cause problems with a new method of doing things.

As for that 'glitch' that allows for faster laptimes, what exactly causes it? The physics system?
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 21st July 2012 at 09:51 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

This is a fan game. How sure are you that veteran pilots will play this?
    Last edited by F.E.I.S.A.R; 21st July 2012 at 10:47 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I'm not. But you still have to prepare for the unexpected. The same applies to all forms of development.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

Ridge Racer 64 had the option to switch between the handling models of the Original Ridge Racer,Ridge Racer Revolution and Ridge Racer 64. I wonder if this physics switching can be done so that everyone is pleased.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

I think that is a bad idea. You also can't switch physics in Wipeout. Get used to the handling like everyone else
    Also, there would be complications in the multiplayer mode if everyone is racing in different physics setup.

Attachment 6430
    Phew.... I'm thinking of having a normal window sized menu, but as you select the options, the camera moves around the hangar.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Quote Originally Posted by F.E.I.S.A.R View Post
    Ridge Racer 64 had the option to switch between the handling models of the Original Ridge Racer,Ridge Racer Revolution and Ridge Racer 64. I wonder if this physics switching can be done so that everyone is pleased.
    I wish WipEout 2048 and WipEout HD let you do that.
    The physics in 2048 suck.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

Quote Originally Posted by docfo4r View Post
    I think that is a bad idea. You also can't switch physics in Wipeout. Get used to the handling like everyone else
    Also, there would be complications in the multiplayer mode if everyone is racing in different physics setup.
    Workaround:Host sets the physics settings. Then again,that may be hard to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post
    I wish WipEout 2048 and WipEout HD let you do that.
    The physics in 2048 suck.
    Physics suck...to what?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

the opposite braking glitch in HD made you go faster than your normal top speed by turning in one direction and braking in the opposite direction, which you could do anywhere on straights or in corners didn't matter something in the physics engine made it so that instead of braking you'd go faster when you did this... don't know exactly what piece of code caused it but there was a big fight over it a couple of years back, when someone set a wr or 2 using this method. if we can somehow avoid this and still have the opposite braking effect you want in the game I'm all for it but yeah seems there was something built into the way it was programmed in wohd.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Workaround:Host sets the physics settings. Then again,that may be hard to implement.
    And also imagine you raced the whole campaign on Physics A and got used to it. But then you wanna join a race but the host only uses Physics B. You loose every race because you're not used to this kind of physics. Nah really, too much confusion. I'd go with one physic system for the whole game. Like I said, Wipeout, Flatout, Destruction Derby... almost all classic games only have one physics system and the people who liked the game got used to it.

No multiple physics systems. Way too confusing and an unnecessary large amount of programming work. This is one of those cases where you simply can't satisfy every single player. Don't like it? You're free to move on...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Xpand nailed it. You can't satisfy everyone...

@zero: I surfed back some sides in the thread and collected the latest ideas we had about weapons as you demanded a list. Of course, this is far too much so we should think about smalling down the list to codeable and interesting/useful weapons. But also, IMHO, we shouldn't just pick the "basic" weapons we know from Wipeout & co but also have one or two new weapons to make SSGX a bit more unique.

ASSAULT
    Tractor beam => Shoot an avoidable laser which creates small damage.
    Rockets => Shoot 3 rockets at once or each one separately. Impossible to pick up something new unless all 3 rockets are shot.
    Missile => Shoot a homing rocket [if no enemy is available for target, weapon can't be shot or will become a ricochet].
    Blades => Shoots two laser-lines in V-shape which ricochet from the wall until self-destruction or hitting an enemy.
    Impulse => Force field which deals no damage but pushes enemies in the surrounding area away [maybe knock them against the wall or let them fall off the track in certain situations].
    Canon => Normal 30 bullets canon or shoot two rotating discs which release bullets in all directions [self-hitting possible!].
    Satellite => Locks on every ship infront of the player & shoots a laser at each target found [though I think "Satellite" sounds too friendly for a weapon ].
    Plasmabolt => The well-known plasma ball from Wipeout.
    EMP => Releases an electromagnetic field which turnes off electricity of enemy ships close to the player for a certain time.

DEFENSIVE
    Mines => Places 5 mines onto the track.
    Bomb => Places a bomb onto the track.
    Magnets => Drops 1 or 3 magnets which attach to following ships and slowing them down for a certain amount of time.

SELF-USE
    Shield => Protects the player from all weapons as well as enemy- and wall-contacts damage for some seconds.
    Boost => Used like a Turbo [high push of speed].
    Autopilot => Activates the autopilot for some seconds.
    Invincibler => Player can't be found by homing weapons for some seconds.
    Afterburner => More speed for a few seconds.
    Phantomizer => Creates a hologram of the players ship for some seconds on the track where homing systems aim for, players real ship will become invincible in the meantime.
    Gravitron => Creates a portable mag-lock effect underneath the players ship so he is able to fly corners with surface irregularities at high speed.
    Blackmatter => Stronger anti-gravity effect module so the ship becomes lighter [though I don't know if that would be useful^^].

That's all I found so far. If there are other cool ideas, type them down!

Timezone
    GMT -6

Physics suck...to what?
    Suck as in Terrible. The physics in 2048 are terrible.

@doctor I like your list. I still think that the 'Black Matter' should be called something else though. Read back in some of the eaerlier pages in the thread (I think it was around 80) and I explain why (it might have been later, like 90 or something).
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 22nd July 2012 at 03:39 AM.