Page 177 of 179 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179 LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,540 of 3564

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

PSN ID
    a-m-j-w

if you can - it would be amazing it you could add a mapmaker for community made maps to upload and play accordingly.

i appreciate it would take a lot of work but it would be awesome!

It’s a bit weird to read “community made maps” for a game developed entirely by the community =)

Maybe you can apply for a level designer post (granted the team is “recruiting”)?

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

Quote Originally Posted by Killercrusher232 View Post
    Wow, you guys have been busy huh?

It has been over two years since I last posted here jeez. And yet on a forum I joined only a few months ago I nearly have 2000 posts already (And it's a forum for a game I've never played and never will heh)
    Another nearly two years gap. How are you guys doing? (Btw, that forum I mentioned? Yeah 6700+ posts now. I even had an average posts per day count of 20!)

I looked up who has posted the most in this thread, I'm 12th and only behind most of the duders I remember being devs or at least big contributors. Who's still about? I probably should have stuck around, I went to college to do a games dev related level 3 extended diploma and then a software dev related one (for the programming focus) immediately afterwards. Now I'm doing a Computer Games Technology foundation degree! I probably could have ended up involved with the development if I had active here for longer.

What I've seen is looking good, like really good. The looks aren't amazing but that should never be the focus for a racing game like this anyway. I don't think very many games that try to be WipEout actually know what WipEout really is because only a couple I've seen so far actually get it right. So I do hope this gets a full release eventually, it would be a real shame if it didn't.

Yeah, unfortunately we've been getting our free time cut off by jobs and university, but even so the game gets worked on once in a while. We haven't released anything recently because of programming issues breaking the game, and the game being re-coded in C# (as opposed to JS) to improve performance, and also a modular approach to the game code, to simplify the whole programming and increase portability. In terms of modelling not much has been done because all the modellers, including me, are working university out, and, while some of us have a degree related to game development, I don't, at least not directly and definitely not related to 3D modelling, so I have other stuff that takes up a lot of time that I have to get experience on, which means making complex and detailed models like tracks is nearly impossible in my free time, which in itself explains why the looks aren't amazing in SSGX, it's a hobby with time restrictions, to get stuff done you have to cut other stuff out...

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

Did you guys ever consider the crowd funding approach? I know some devs make their game full-time by taking donations via Patreon that make up their losses for not being in a job. Could work for one or two people, but then it might be awkward to organise etc.

I'd offer some help but I don't know any C# (Because my college is dumb and chose to do more web dev in its place) and I haven't played WipEout in years, so I'm not really suited for anything. As well as of course the fact that I should be spending all my time on degree work...

Yeah, we couldn't do it at the time because none of us were in the US/UK. We do have donation money that we use to buy tools to develop the game, mainly related to programming.
    In any case none of us want SSGX to become a full time job, it's been too long and we've found other things to do, we're just going to wrap it up and be done with it. For SSGX to become fully on par with other good indie games it would need to be remade almost from scratch, especially in the visual department since many of the models were made with little experience in 3D modelling and texture, plus the tracks were made with early physics in mind and as the years gone by the physics engine changed a lot, then unity threw the Unity5 bomb on us and "broke" the lightmapping system, now we have to divide tracks into segments so they can be lightmapped, a whole lot of unused files in the project, etc. There's a whole slew of problems that would only be easily fixed by a fresh start.

Timezone
    GMT -6

That really sucks, I hope that development can be rebooted soon.

...maybe Slipstream GX and AGR2280 could be remade as BallisticNG expansions?

I mean, the development hasn't completely stopped, it's just slow. When I said "wrap it up" I meant finish the game (the best possible) and move on, not leave it.
    Last edited by Xpand; 23rd February 2016 at 06:13 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post
    ...maybe Slipstream GX and AGR2280 could be remade as BallisticNG expansions?
    And what exactly would be the purpose of this?

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Still rooting for you guys.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

im suporting your project guys.
    keep up the good work

Hello SSGX Team! I am a long standing fan of the WipEout games, with 3SE and Pure being my faves in the series (I never played 2048 ). I literally stumbled on this game about an hour ago, tried the latest demo and fell in love. IT IS AWESOME. Essentially setting the game during the "Revivial" period between Fusion and Pure is a masterstroke, and for years I've always thought that that era would be great if there were ever a sequel.

Recently I have found Red:Out (which looks promising) and picked up Formula Fusion on Steam, which is fun, nice and modern, but this just blew me away. The Pure/Pulse presentation and gameplay of this title hits what I consider to be WipEout perfection. This deserves a fully registered release once it is completed, I'd happy pay £20~£30 for the final product. Have you considered something like Steam Greenlight? Or is that kind of thinking still too far off?

I realise this game has been in production for some time, and I have no idea how I missed it, considering I've apparently had a WipEout Zone Forum account since 2006! For whatever reason recently my interest in a WipEout-esque title has rekindled rather strongly, and SSGX is THE top contender in my book. Please make it happen! =D

PS: I've skimmed some of the forum and I notice one of your worries is the graphics fidelity. To be honest, I think it is fine as it is. It gives a very nostalgic 2097/3SE feel, and could easily be mistaken for either Pure or Pulse. I understand where you're coming from, but I feel a true AG racing fan just wouldn't care when the rest of the game is fantastic. If you match 3SE then I'd say you have very little to worry about

EDIT: I wold just like to add that I've played this practically non-stop since this above post, I've played more SSGX in a day that I've done in Formula Fusion in a week! Totally addicted!
    Last edited by Lei07; 2nd April 2016 at 10:41 PM.

Sorry for the delay, I didn't really notice a new post in this forum :/
    Thanks a lot for the kind words! There's still stuff going on, but it's just more code being created and code being rewritten (which is very important). We're still far from releasing another build unfortunately. But thanks for your kind words, they help a lot in getting motivated to do something about this game.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

I had absolutely no idea this was a thing.
    I'm supposed to go suit shopping for my sisters wedding tomorrow....

... the key word in that sentence is 'was'

Would you consider porting to Android?

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    SlimDoggoRyla

hey guys always wanted to be envlolved in making a wipeout styled game like this, I am a digital artist and wouldn't mind helping out with the textures if that's okay,
    im kinda new on this website due to being busy, but if you think you need another artist to help out im always open (y) if you consider it and want to see examples then email me at ryanvaldes8@gmail.com or reply to this post

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by NeroIcaras View Post
    Would you consider porting to Android?
    Sorry for the late replay. We don't consider any mobile platforms.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by valdes View Post
    hey guys always wanted to be envlolved in making a wipeout styled game like this, I am a digital artist and wouldn't mind helping out with the textures if that's okay,
    im kinda new on this website due to being busy, but if you think you need another artist to help out im always open (y) if you consider it and want to see examples then email me at ryanvaldes8@gmail.com or reply to this post
    Hi, we're always interested in getting help from contributors, SlipStream GX is a community based project. Could you post some examples of your work here?

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    SlimDoggoRyla

here is a 256x256 res original texture http://klikr.org/c4c8870e8dda851a5fc2172b9920.png
    here is my version resized to 1024x1024 http://klikr.org/4a9768e01abcbf5c005fe3af9238.png mainly drew over the eyes and body, didn't care about fur

some of my other artworks: http://klikr.org/93b6326a44fc3879dfe5f4b99fcb.png
    and http://klikr.org/305fb0ea7ecf6be9790bd4b072d9.png

(yes im a furry artist, doesn't mean I cant do other things) thanks for the opportunity

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

These looks good! Do you maybe have experience in making stuff like normal maps, height maps, specular maps, etc. for games? If not, that's fine, you can also make concept arts.

They would be helpful since it is a lot easier to work on a 3D model if you have a vision presented right before your eyes rather than just blurry imagination stuff For concept arts I mostly think about tracks since we only have 4 somewhat finished (textures need to be improved) plus one as a nice concept art made by the other artist plus one made with well... cryons and skills of a non-artist ().

That makes it 6, would be good to add 2 more tracks (I have an idea for one so last one could be made by you, we can talk over the details if you want). I plan to add a track editor into the game so it will be easier to prototype the track layout.

There is also the thing with textures that need to be improved, but I figure you're not interested in that? (I'm thinking stuff like Substance Painter here, but it is a commercial software for which I have a student license, and idk about you)

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    SlimDoggoRyla

ohhh concept art?! never thought of that, if you lead me in a direction I could try to help with that as much as I can!
    the thing I could probably definitely do is improve textures I have my own programs to do so.
    now I do understand a little about normal mapping but need you to tell me what to do so I can see if I am able to do so, helping to be making a track would be great also ill see if I can sketch a few things today or when I am free