Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Hi! I've been making my Atlantica track in 3D and I got really enthusiastic with the idea of making a new wipeout game, also about the FX150 league.
    I found some interesting software from Microsoft that is called XNA game studio that is free and you can find it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa937791.aspx
    And some pictures of an example of what the software can do: http://catalog.xna.com/en-US/GameDet...31db7d2&type=2
    The only bad thing is that you have to have experience with Visual C#...
    But that is easy to learn too.

So, if there are any programmers around the forum or if you know some who can help us, I thank you!
    We also need visuals and texture artists.
    I would also like some modelers to step foward and help making the craft models and tracks.

I'm not aiming at something very complex, especially because I think we do not have a wipeout developer amongst us and we'll probably have to start from the begining, no weapons, just a improved version of WipEout from 1995... I'm seeing this more like a demonstration that we can show to the developers of wipeout and then, if they like it, we'll probably have an "all clear" to a new wipeout series!

Oh I also found this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgChU...ayer_embedded#

And here are the pics of Atlantica (still in development)
    (you can see the layout of the track and concept drawings in my albums)
    http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2933/charon.jpg
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7770/geminisr.jpg
    http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3231/hydrus.jpg
    http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1...ptunesplit.jpg
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9418/phoenixh.jpg
    This one shows one of the huge problems with texturing turns.
    http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3816/texturebug.jpg
    Last edited by Xpand; 14th April 2014 at 11:38 PM.

Good news!! I managed to make a Feisar rotate on screen!!
    You can't control it yet, but I think it is a very good improvement from 0 to this on only 2 hours of learning!
    On the attachments.
    Unzip and run the feisar.exe

In order to run the "game" you should have XNA Framework 3.1 Red.
    Last edited by Xpand; 18th July 2010 at 10:09 PM.

Yo mate - Nice work and great idea

I thought about this when i downloaded the 3d racing game starter kit last year - I wonder how easy it would be to modify into something resembling wipeout? Would be great fun to try!!

It would take serious programming skill to recreate the handling and physics from 1995.

What format are the car models in? We should try and get a wipEout model racing in that kit for starters That would rock
    Last edited by Mu5; 21st July 2010 at 03:22 PM.

Well, the primitive model (without conversion for the game) is a X-file (Direct-x original file).
    Well, there are easier ways to program, for example blender is capable of making complex games in a very easy way, I can make racing games in that (although with no AI nor time nor laps because I haven't learned that yet). But the problem with blender is that the executable file needs loads of dll's in order to work which makes a small game "weigh" a lot on your hard drive...
    I've put the X file and the texture in the attachments.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Default Moderator Message

If in the position where you would be posting after yourself in a thread within the same 24 hour period - please use the edit function instead to add further detail to the first post.

Thanks
    SR

(Late one this but just noticed the above double post )

Oh sorry! Thanks for the advice! After I posted I noticed the edit button and I was like:

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by Xpand View Post
    ...XNA game studio that is free and you can find it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa937791.aspx
    ...The only bad thing is that you have to have experience with Visual C#
    Fascinating. I happen to be primarily a C# developer. I'll have to have a look at this XNA studio. Maybe once I pick up an XBox somewhere. Thanks for the info!

Would you like to give us a hand? I would like to see a basic game with no complex physics and only one ship and one track at first and then something more complex, with time...

On other news:

http://www.4shared.com/file/m9lNmul-...test_game.html

This is an example of a blender game...
    I made this using the Pulse's Harimau ship...
    But you'll notice some problems, for example: the HUGE amount of dlls needed to operate a 4 MB game...

The keys are:

S: Accelerator
    Q: Left airbrake
    E: Right airbrake
    Left arrow: turn left
    Right arrow: turn right
    Last edited by Xpand; 30th July 2010 at 10:51 PM.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

Default Some files

Ive just finished making some files for our game ive made effects and icons for the files and models for the game ive uploaded them with a zip
    and to animated gifs for the game and other

and ive made an IRC for us to talk to each other so we can make the game easier
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jesse9705; 20th November 2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: forget somthin yet again

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

I suggest some sort of source control, Subversion seems to be good enough for this situation, I don't have the bandwith or ability to host an SVN server, but I've got experience setting one up and running it, so just contact me somehow if you want a how-to in setting one up.
    I'd join the IRC channel if I knew the server and channel name

Also, have we got a game engine sorted? all these models are nice, but what sort of details are you going to be using? are you just sticking to surface-colour textures, or is something as advanced as parallax mapping going to be implemented?

In terms of modeling, I can vouch for blender being quite a powerful tool, I used it quite a bit a few years back, although it may seem a bit weird starting off, it's actually rather good.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

Default Irc

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channel...utzonegameirc#

well yep there we have it our own IRC

HTML Code:
    <iframe src="http://webchat.freenode.net?channels=wipeoutzonegameirc%23&uio=Mj10cnVlJjQ9dHJ1ZSYxMT0xNzQmMTI9dHJ1ZQ80" width="647" height="400"></iframe>
    Last edited by jesse9705; 21st November 2010 at 05:13 AM. Reason: update

Timezone
    GMT + 2

PSN ID
    jesse9705

Wink All my current work

Well here is nearly every single bit of work ive uploaded before and more ive just made today i hope they can be very well implemented into the game
    some of which include

-Animated gifs for ads or ingame video
    -craft designs
    -images
    -MDL files
    -tracks
    -icons for the game
    -and much more

this is all the things i did here in 1 reason so you wont have to scavenge through the fourms to find my files

sorry if it goes over the allowed limit but this post is a gallery of the images and stuff i made for this game so sorry if it is
    if its over the limit you have 100 chances to spam my site without any penalty(100 free spam threads for guys a good deal lol)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Timezone
    GMT -5

well i thought most people used xna if not there may be a way to convert its format (by the way any ideas on a realise date even though it may be to early)

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

How do you make good corners, Blue? I started making tracks with S.Up (Why? I want to turn my 2D to 3D models now.) Can you PM me how you do it?

Xpand/Aspect or anyone who cares, with classic combonation, I think pit lanes are good, do you? Or we're not at the "pit" stage...?

Mabey restore Hyperthurst... IDK, it just came to my mind...

My name = FEISAR rockets into the future...

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

I dislike pit-lanes....
    @blue,

Pit-lanes are unnecessary work in the prototyping stage...

Really cool blue!

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

I see... how about hyperthurst?

Timezone
    GMT -6

Default New game mode idea for Slipstream GX

Name: Marathon Survival (working title)
    Concept: In this multiplayer mode, 2 or more players try to last as long as possible by racing on a randomly generated zone-style track, dodging mines, bombs, and rocks along the way. Points are gained based on how many hazards you successully dodge. You will get bonus points for getting a perfect zone and for making kills (everyone respawns upon death). Even on online play, there will still be bots.
    Soundtrack: Fast-paced and energetic
    Ships: Similiar to WipEout HD Fury's Zone Battle

This quote is where I got the idea:

Quote Originally Posted by jesse9705 View Post
    guys you know how in real life we got rally cars and rally tracks right well ive been thing what about Wipeout rallys maybye the rallys could be done on metal tracks with dirt on them with rocks everywhere you need to avoid well any simple
    dodge as many rocks to get a perfect time score
    competitive say we have 1 AI which is really competitive so it makes it more of a challenge ive made a blue print for a rally track for this
    its simple a one way track no laps so it has to be challenging and it has to be fairly large for it to work
    sorry of the image specs im getting used to using my new graphical studio
    and i think i should share the software for the images i make is UP just download the free ware edition at: http://www.ultimatepaint.com/download.php
    and i have software for making the installer for the game too!
    My idea is to have all of the ships stay in the same general area and making the terrain randomly generate and moving underneath the ships so that the players won't notice that they aren't actually leaving the area. In addition to randomly generated opstacles and such, there should also be random inclines and undulations to make the 'track' as varied as possible, and the visual style will be identicle to WipEout HD's Zone Mode.

The playing area should be moderately large (to keep people from noticing that they are limited to a single area), and there should also be something similiar to pilot assist to keep players from crashing into the invisible walls seperating the playing area from the fake terrain.

Every ship has max attributes, and the speed class should start at slow (around 100 kph/60 mph) and slowly increase every 10-20 seconds (like in Zone Mode), and acceleration will be automatic.
    There will be speed and weapon pads here and there, but the only weapons will be reloadable Autocannons, the Nosferatu (a cooler name for Leech), Quake (an Omnidirectional version), Missiles, and targeted version of the Plasma Bolt. There will also be randomly spawned mines and bombs that you need to avoid (they will automatically be destroyed shortly after leaving the playing area).

You shields will slowly regenerate overtime (1 HP every 2 seconds), but you can speed up the process by getting perfect zones and by absorbing weaponry (which also activates a shield).

--- Inquiries, Suggestions, or Objections? If so, then please reply to this thread and give me honest, detailed feedback. ---
    ~ Time passes by so fast, keep out of the rain.
    Amaroq Dricaldari

Timezone
    GMT -6

With the in-cockpit enhancements, G-Forces should be reduced by 10%, maybe 40% if you factor in the Inertial Dampeners. Also, F-22 pilots where these things called G Suits. What they do is they reduce the G forces that the pilot feels significantly, without actually reducing the G forces themselves. I… think it works through pressure…
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 23rd May 2012 at 11:36 PM.