Thread: Wipeout HD looks awful now.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Unhappy Wipeout HD looks awful now.

So, I recently got a large, flat-panel TV, and Wipeout HD looks TERRIBLE on it. The top and bottom halves on the screen will be out-of-sync for a few frames, or the framerate itself will stutter, or the game itself will run at a low framerate. This is especially noticeable on the Fury tracks.

What's going on here? I also got the new update right before playing it for the first time on the new TV, but I doubt that it's at fault here, since it's supposed to do nothing besides adding 3D support.

Is it the HDMI cable's fault?

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

I believe that OBH was going through a similar problem. Could just be your TV lagging behind the awesomeness.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

It's odd because the problems described sound like things I started experiencing since Fury came out. I hadn't imagined the TV could have anything to do with it at the time, but will be interesting to hear others' suggestions. I remember z1r0rEi bought an LED backlit TV and found HD unplayable after that, but can't recall exactly what he was experiencing that was putting him off.

Have you tried an alternative connection type and/or cable, or turning off all the TV's processing effects so see if there's a difference?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

What type of TV did you have before?
    What is the TV you have now?
    Have you set the resolution of the signal coming from the PS3 to the closest of the TV's native resolution?
    + the other things said here.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Thanks for the suggestions and explanations, guys; I'll try some of these ideas out when I get the chance.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Oh, yeah; I just remembered - Modern Warfare 2 runs as smoothly as ever. I really have no clue about what's going on here.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Sometimes when an update comes out it can screw with your video settings.
    It's usually when they have either added some functionality or renamed/ slightly altered a video output, it's PITA and has happened more than once over the last few years.

I've found that the easiest way to sort it is to reset everything, I mean right back to basics and then go through the whole box ticking exercise again.

Another cause of the problem that might be occurring is if you are running you video signals from the PS3 via HDMI through a Surround amp, then into the TV.
    I've lost count of the number of times this has been the cause of this problem for other people.
    Fixable, but lot to troubleshoot if that's your setup.

Easiest way to test if this is the cause of the problem is to run the video out of the PS3 straight into the TV via HDMI, and then output the audio via optical [need to also change this in the PS3's settings] into your surround amp.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Dan, you definitely have to investigate different possible causes.

Between all the TVs I've played WOHD on, I've encountered tearing (I think it's usually called "V-Sync" tearing in most PC games) in two different TV setups.

one is my friend's Philips 52" - either it's an economy or low-budget model, or he was using a chintsy HDMI cable, but it would do tearing the last time I played the game on it before he changed his entertainment setup

the other is another friend's 46" Sharp - His needs a firmware update or something because every once in a while, tearing occurs on a random input. His is just a simple matter of switching his input selection to something else and back again and it clears right up.

it's been a while since I've played with any frequency, so I don't know if I remember tearing anywhere else (maybe when there's a lot of weapon effects and ships on screen at once?)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Golgofier

Weird, never experienced any issues with WOHD on my set.
    Just FYI - the top 3 pixel rows will always be out-of-sync (tearing, if you will) in 1080p. It's suppose to, but the other problems you're having are definitely not by design

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Zix-Xer

I have a new TV to a LCD full hd, and it was laggy as hell, now i found out that my tv was upgrading the frames with extra fake frames so it had 200 frames instaid of 60 but that also made my game have like 0.8 sec of lag or so, now i found out that my tv gots a game mode and now it runs perfect!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I other words you mean you turned off the Sony "Motionflow" circuitry.

That will do it, you should only have "Motionflow" as Sony call it, otherwise known as interpolation circuitry, turned on for sports viewing.

That's the problem with these new TV's if you don't know what this stuff does.
    Double trouble if you have a source with similar controls that are also not set correctly.
    Most, if not all, have so many different picture options, most of them pretty useless and each manufacturer calls them different things.
    It's like buying a new computer that has a lot of crap software pre-installed on it, it was only installed as a lure to purchase, after a while you find out you never needed or use it.
    The truth is, you get a far better picture if you turn 98% of any picture processing off completely and the other 2% down to their minimum level.
    The more you have on, the more the circuitry is stressed and corrupts the picture signal.

If you don't have a specialized test DVD/Bluray disc to help set up your TV's brightness & contrast, there is a secret hidden Test Patten in Sony Bluray discs, go to main menu and enter 7669 then press enter, the test patten will pop up, for a quick setup do this.
    Turn off Motionflow, have picture set to Normal [closest to 6500k]
    Sharpness always OFF, Colour 50%
    Use the bottom right of the screens white/ Grey bars on a black background, adjust your B & C controls so only one bar is visible.
    Start with both at 50% as B & C interact with each other, adjust one then the other, repeat.
    If you have either B & C up too high, it's like driving really fast in too low a gear, your just thrashing your circuitry and it will cause problems elsewhere.
    Plus you are certainly quickening the death of you TV.