Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Doubles league again anyone?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

XPand kind of has a season doesn't it? Could operate outside of that. I think it also has the element that teams can play any time for a kind of perpetual ranking, IIRC. Probably don't RC though.

I remember doubles being reasonably easy to organise, although in fairness TCK did most of it after the first few matches. But XPand was a pain because people seemed to have lost interest. It usually ended up being doubles races most of the time anyway, due to availability and the fact that there were some teams with only two players anyway. That's really the key - people just need to think before they sign up and make sure they'll participate and are willing to organise.

Another option - do doubles for a certain period. Then join up doubles teams based on their final positions at the end of that period to make XPand teams so that you have very balanced XPand teams and people can race with new folk and get to know people they wouldn't normally talk to. (Yeah I know, no-one will like this option).

One more option ( I most like this one) - don't predefine teams at all. Just do weekly doubles events like the ASTRAL events used to be. Everyone signs up ahead and is paired up. Up to say, 16 players total? They race in two pools, and then do a winner's pool and, er, not-quite-as-win-ers pool based on final positions in the first round. Basically ASTRAL but with doubles. Maybe that's what kaori was getting at earlier? I seriously think the less organisation the better, and that way people wouldn't have to commit to a long term league either. If they do two races and then can't be arsed, then it can all just roll on without them. It'll be a whole different thing each week too - less predictable. You could always do it for a month and then get the top 8 players to face off in two doubles semi-finals and a final, or something like that.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Ooh I like the ASTRAL one, I miss ASTRAL.

Then we could have a really complicated system whereby pairs are chosen at random from the group who sign up, then have a breakdown of individual players' records in a kinda "how good a team player are they" league table, then have a big event at the end (whenever that is) where the 8-16 top players of the league have an epic doubles mashup, then send the winners a trophy or give them a voucher for a romantic trip for two....in Skegness ^_^

This is what happens when you have nothing to do all day except think and talk to your animals.

*Ignore all the above, I'll be happy whatever happens (although I do like the ASTRAL one)

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

Seeing as KIGO has his PS3 back, I have made other arrangments to join with another partner . He has not joined the forum yet but will do soon . Will let you know the team as soon as possible OBH!

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

We're up for it, so sign us up OBH.

Team: Dark_Phantom_89 & Woopzilla

Team name not thought of yet.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    LurifaxFlux

Team: LurifaxFlux & DreamyElf

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

This seems to be spiraling out of control somewhat now, no? I mean, aren't we supposed to be re-inventing this league into something simpler that will make folks want to join up and stay interested? Because many of the scoring systems/rules/formats that are being considered so far have been complex and confusing (to me, anyway), with some even leading to what was once intended to be a team-driven doubles league turning into anything but. Crikey, after reading Saturn's proposals I felt like curling up in the fetal position and crying to mommy. No set teams? Random teams instead? That would mean no amusing team names, no strategizing, less camaraderie and no rivalries. And if there's some teams that are virually unbeatable and always at the top, who cares? Isn't that how it is in all sports? I mean, what would baseball be without perennial contenders like the Yankees and Red Sox to hate on? I don't mind not having a shot at being the best, as I will simply strive to be one of the best of the rest. Seriously though, it's all turning me off a bit now...this is supposed to be fun and I feel like it's being taken a little too seriously and that a little too much thought is being put into it. As far as the scoring, I think we should just use the simple 1,2,3,4 (low score wins) or 4,3,2,1 (high score wins) format and call it a day. I'd really love to see this league come to form and really take off, and I really do appreciate the intentions and efforts of coordinators like OBH, but I fear that if we don't just use the K.I.S.S. method (Keep It Simple, Stupid) then it won't last. Just my 2 cents...(more like 5 cents, but anyway....haha) Take it for what it's worth. (not much, I suppose...lol)
    Last edited by LOUDandPROUD; 22nd July 2010 at 01:33 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

Simple 1.2.3.4 (& 5.6.7.8 if 3-4 teams) is the easier, I think we should be agree for that.
    We have to do this league simple ^^

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

@LOUDandPROUD: I was really just throwing ideas out there. I personally think the doubles league was mostly fine (in theory) as it was apart from the one issue with the scoring system. There are really just two issues that made me start wondering about how to actually make it successful:

1. How to make it not basically be the same as Xpand league, because in truth, I think I only actually ever played doubles races in that, for one reason or another. Also, XPand is already a doubles league in some ways, or has that capability built in. If teams want to enter as pairs then they can, and there's an ongoing league where people can take part and do matches at any time.

2. In general people don't commit.The doubles league WAS simple. It couldn't really have been much simpler. I think it was a great idea, and the matches were fun but if we're really honest it wasn't all that successful. About 70 % played only 2 matches or fewer, and 25 % played none at all. Given how many teams were involved, that's quite a clear indicator that people can't/don't really commit long enough to make a go of something like that. Then the first season of Xpand fizzled out despite kaori's best efforts - also because of commitment issues. Compare that to Avalon where people can turn up and play at any time, or ASTRAL where people can play week by week without longer term commitment - both of those were far more successful than the doubles league ever was IMO.

So I do think the doubles league needs something different, both to set it apart form Xpand and to make it adaptable and successful in the longer term.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IDReaper

Well, I have an idea.

Open Doubles

This would be a weekly challenge similair to the tt/sl challenges. Every week a new tour would be posted, any tracks/speed/vehicles/restrictions/etc. Then participants would post their individual availability for matches. When a group of people large enough to satisfy atleast the minimum of 2v2 a time will be set and teams from the player pool are decided. The players decide their individual team names then and scores for each team are posted once their individual event is over. Players may participate as many times per week as they want with any teammates or opponents.

At the end of the week the results post is fully updated with all teams and their scores vs. other teams. The new challenge is posted, but the previous challenge remains in effect for what would be an encore event of sorts(May need its own thread?). During this additional one week time overlapping the new challenge, participating teams in the previous event may challenge any other team that post a result for that challenge.

Like this:

Week 1: Venom Tourney(Qirex only): Vineta K, Sol 2, Ubermall R, Metropia R

Week 2: Encore(Reminder, you must have posted a result to participate)Venom Tourney(Qirex only): Vineta K, Sol 2, Ubermall R, Metropia R
    Week 2: Phantom Tourney(Unrestricted): Vineta K R, Sol 2, Anulpha Pass, Sebenco Climb

Regular weekly = fun vs matches for any who are available
    Encore event = grudge matches, organized team events.

Probably not perfect but I could see a number of people being able to participate on there own times in double matches while the one with more time to comit can organize set team vs team matches in the encore events.

I probably made that sound terribly complex lol, just think of it like the sl/tt challenge. You have to participate in one before you can do the other that's all. Ideas, suggestions?

EDIT: Allow me to add this isn't a ladder tourney like expand, it is a week by week competition with a casual sort of matching system. No grand champion-ing going on here, just random fun =)

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

I like your idea IDReaper to cater for different speeds / ships / as well as game modes, not to dissimilar to the SL challenge.

Heres a quick, early mock-up of what I had in mind using the 4 currently registered teams, imagining that the league begun on 26/07/10 :

=====================================

RANKINGS
    Code:
    Team                                   ELO Ranking   Games Played

ACE-FLO & KIGO                          1500              0
    Yeldar2097 & KGB                        1500              0
    Dark_Phantom_89 & Woopzilla             1500              0
    LurifaxFlux & DreamyElf                 1500              0
    After each game post the results, and I shall use the ELO Calculator to work out the new standings.
    Heres a picture from Kaori as an example of how it works.

SCHEDULE
    Teams can play as many games they chose each week.
    Code:
    Week 1 (26/07/10)-
    6 Race Tournament / Rapier / VK, AP Rev, TJ, Mod, Sol2 Rev, CP

Week 2 (2/08/10)
    Zone Battle - Sol 2 Rev

Week 3 (9/08/10)
    6 Race Tourny / Phantom / CP Rev, Moa, Uber, Uber Rev, Amp, Amp Rev

Week 4 (16/08/10)
    Eliminator / Rapier / Ubermall

Week 5 (23/08/10)
    6 Race "Weapons Off" Tourny/ Phantom / ModR, MoaR, AP, Seb, Seb Rev, TJR

Week 6 (30/08/10)
    Zone Battle - Anulpha Pass

Week 7 (6/09/10)
    6 Race Tourny / Phantom / Mod Rev, Moa Rev, AP, Seb, Seb Rev, TJ Rev

Week 8 (13/09/10)
    Eliminator / Phantom / Metropia Fwd "minimum 4 teams"

=====================================

To see how the rankings change visit the original league thread.

Suggestions people? Another idea i had was players had to pick a single ship to use, so we dont get hoards of Triakis players during eliminator, or loads of feisar during zone battle.

Woopzilla is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Content Contributor
    Phantom Pilot
    PSN ID
    Woopzilla

Yea, I think keeping it simple and short is key here. What I've noticed in Xpand is that people aren't all that keen to race 2x8 Race Tournaments.

Also, not having any 'MUST PLAY' matches is what will keep the thing going. It's only all too frustrating when your team is ready to play but the other team never is, it's good to make it 'stall proof'.

I wouldn't mind a one-ship-only rule.

EDIT: And something sort of related/slightly off topic-ish: I think we should make a habit of only using one chat room on the PSN. The avalon lounge seems to be the default place for people to go to... I think there isn't any need to create further league channels where you keep having to send invites and so on. If we have a common meeting grounds, then it will be even easier to setup spontaneous matches with people who you don't have on your friendslist. I chose the avalon lounge because it seems to be the channel that the vast majority of players have access to already.
    Last edited by Woopzilla; 23rd July 2010 at 09:43 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

Suggestions :

1. use ELO calculator each monday
    2. use one chat on PS3, maybe not "avalon lounge" because it's used by lot of people (a chat is limited to 16 persons)
    3. use a social group
    4. one or two substitutes by team who want

Woopzilla is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Content Contributor
    Phantom Pilot
    PSN ID
    Woopzilla

Hmm, I think it's ok to use avalon lounge because even during avalon weekends it doesn't reach max users that often... you can pop in and say "hey someone want to do doubles?" and then you can go to your own private chat for further setting up or whatever.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Thats what i had in mind Whoop. Somone can simply make a "doublEs loungE" chat room for everyone to use, but the Avalon one is always a good one to see whos online generally.

Im kind of warming to the idea of having a substitute or 2 if the team would like to do that. My initial plan was to not allow that, because as there isnt a single mandatory race, teams can pick and chose what competition they'd like to enter.... meaning they dont need to compete at a frantic pace..... however there will undoubtedly be times where 1 team member is busy for a week or something, so yeah, a substitute is allowed. Good call Kaori

Ive also made, though not finished a social group. Ill make it mandatory to join, and subscribe to certain threads.
    Im happy to continue organising it despite no longer being able to compete, but someone else will need to do the organising via psn.

Also tempted to make the actual league thread similar to the SL/TT Hall of Fame thread -- i.e only I can post in it for results etc, and use the social group entirely for organisation and banter

edit:
    infact, the more i think about it, the more a substitute might be a smart idea. To keep teams wanting to enter each week, if the initial 2 dont really want to do zone battle, just get a 3rd or 4th person involved too who loves zone battle
    Last edited by OBH; 23rd July 2010 at 12:03 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

Good points for Avalon lounge like official chat room, I agree.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I'm available again as a partner due to OBH's unfortunate exit. I'll be happy to start a new team or join as a substitute if that idea goes through.

Though with subs it's not really a doubles league, more like a small team league, but if it helps get the races done I'll support the idea.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Im glad someone appreciates the key word being "doubles"

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

I like the idea of playing all of the game modes - makes it unique

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

@OBH - I think that looks like a good day to work something. It's different to Xpand and offers a good level of flexibility.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Excellent!! Well, fight among yourselves for partners Then ill begin once we have enough interest.

Sweet.