View Poll Results: What do you think should be done with the GREEN league?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • make all GREEN races 6 laps to avoid messing up leaderboards.

    7 15.91%
  • Close it down

    3 6.82%
  • Leave the GREEN league as it is

    19 43.18%
  • Not Bothered

    15 34.09%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 121

Thread: GREEN League : the bane of wipEout?

  1. #31
    ACE-FLO's Avatar
    ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    AG-Beast from London East
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnErare View Post
    Indeed Leung, speed and cornering skill ftw!

    Honestly Ace, you like to see players you can lap in a race? How is it fair to them for you to stay there and not let them finish a race? I'm slightly puzzled..
    SO you should be - coz that's not me mate The 1 on 1 examples were given by ohters in this thread, I just used them as expamples to rebuttle their point. But if you beleive me to be a noob hunter (sheesh) then in my defence I can quite easily prove that false. When Uber-JKP came to HD Fury, he was still learning the ropes, and ended up in a room I was in. Yes, I won. But thenI made the room private and actually went through a long and intense training session with him, showed him some things I learnt, like BR spots and weapons tactics etc - now he's better than me awesome...

    Rest of your post, yes, You make a good point AnE but you say the GREEN league is not unfair - well for the thousands who don't know of its exixtence, try telling them that - coz I did and got an ear bashing, hence the creation of this thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by amplificated View Post
    If you like weapons on races, what is the appeal of a good time? Isn't the best thing about weapons their chaotic nature that brings a bit more life to the game? Good times are a possibility, but I can't see them being a real draw for playing with weapons on. They're going to be different every race no matter how good you are with weapons...
    And that's the point - if you can manage to get a WR time like that - then you've proved something worth more than getting it in a GREEN race now right? What, you lot don't think it is possible? Andybob35 says it is and is willikng to challenge anyone and will do it in a Triakis no less
    Just shows that he thinks it is possible - and so do I... How do you think the recs were set in the first place when HD launched There was no GREEN league then was there???? humph - another hair joined together successfully
    Last edited by ACE-FLO; 14th July 2010 at 02:03 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987
    Posts
    3,303

    Default

    It really is like shiit on toast, but without the toast racing without weapons in Wipeout HD/Fury i gotta say.

    Right ive just got the Eliminator League ownership back after a bloody long absence. Vartazian the Virgin had control over the group... then he got banned. I might be tempted to start something up again given when i get my PS3 back and if its all working and all. There are quite a few people racing in eliminator rooms online now days, so here is an alternative to the Green League if anyone is interested.

    Anybody who wants to have fun with weapons ON be sure to check out the
    Eliminator League. New suggestions are welcomed

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    On the beach, England
    PSN ID
    stinkleroy
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Ah gees this again....well I think everyone knows my feelings on this matter and that I think green races are key to my enjoyment of this game online now. In fact this is the way kanar and I always used to train for our doubles matches. I think that is indeed how the idea started to begin with.

    Those who seem to oppose this league are mentioning things like Ďfairnessí. Now let me state here, in plain English Ė NOTHING about this game is fair. Nothing. Online MP races are a joke to me now, getting smashed around the track and slowed to a halt every 5 seconds is not my idea of a fair race, or even a race for that matter. Iíve achieved better times in weapons on races through sheer luck. A while ago I scored a no #10 slot on AP rev in a normal race because I recieved no less than 7 turbos in a 5 lap race. Is that fair? No. Is racing against people who clearly have no idea what they are doing fair? Most certainly not, yet you admit to doing it yourself. Frankly Iíd rather take my chances in a green room full of skilled pilots than TT against some level 1 player whoís 15 seconds behind. That to me is not the way the game was supposed to be played either.

    Now to address the issue of Ďnew playersí...well when I first started racing seriously online there were times at the top of the leaderboard that I had no understanding of how they were achieved...shortcuts etc that I didnít know about helping people to get faster times. However that didnít stop me playing as it was never about that, it was about fun...and as you keep stating, thatís what the game is supposed to be. If new players donít understand how things are achieved then they should practice more or check out youtube vids like the rest of us. Personally I donít agree with shortcuts, but I have no problem with people using them if thatís what they want...itís again all about personal choices.

    The point that everyone keeps missing here is that NO-ONE is playing these races to get faster times, really no-one is. Itís all about being able to go 5 laps without the constant stopping and starting that goes on now in online single races. I get so frustrated sometimes that I honestly feel like smashing something. This is not the way this game should be played either. I want to have fun, and the way online is now, I canít do that anymore. I want to play with my friends and go FAST! Iíve never made a fantastic time in green races, Iíve only had a fantastic time. And that is the point of the green league, not to get better times. Frankly most of the people here have already mentioned that MP records donít mean much to them, and that TT and SL are the only true measures of racing skill. I agree with that statement wholeheartedly and think that most people probably do.

    ACE I understand you came to the party late, and do not know how the game was pre Fury, but you must understand the disappointment of many people who played HD previously. Weapons slowed you down yes, but not like they do now. I never came across a last place bomb or set of mines...in fact doing comparisons between version 1.25 HD and the current version of Fury (we have both, one for offline, one for online), AnE and I have discovered that mines last waaaay longer than they used to, and that in general weapons were tinkered with to be more powerful in slowing down the opposition. That is a fact.

    I think you should understand that the green league isnít some kind of cult looking to rule the MP boards, itís just similar minded friends racing in speed like AnE has just mentioned. Itís all about fun and losing because of your own mistakes, not anyone elses. I agree with everything that OBH, Leung , AnE and Amp have said and hope that some part of you will understand why this league was born.

    Thereís no supply without demand
    Last edited by stinkleroy; 14th July 2010 at 02:19 PM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    On the beach, England
    PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACE-FLO View Post
    SO you should be - coz that's not me mate The 1 on 1 examples were given by ohters in this thread, I just used them as expamples to rebuttle their point. But if you beleive me to be a noob hunter (sheesh) then in my defence I can quite easily prove that false.
    No I don't believe or even think that, was just stating part of my opinion

    And if people want to think it's unfair or even cheating, maybe they should listen to Fyue

    Again, people don't need to join in or even like it.

  5. #35
    yeldar2097's Avatar
    yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rezatron View Post
    Time Trials remain the most accurate measurement of skill...
    Will you marry me?



    Here goes yeldar on another vague, meandering ramble about how he thinks he knows so much about everything . Be prepared.

    It seems to me that some would chastise TGL for being a blatant way of achieving better times. As far as I'm aware it's actually because they find it fun more than anything else. Not everyone is a record-hoarding-rankings-whore like myself. Sure, it's nice to have a Top 200, 100, 50 etc... time, and getting such records may be catalysed by such things as TGL, but who's counting?

    Racing 1-on-1 with a n00b in a deliberate attempt to get a record is worse in my opinion. Poor chap just wants to race and some insanely fast PSN gremlin with an agenda leaves him in the dust wondering what happened. Alternatively (certain people still do this -_- ) make a private room with a friend who is willing to leave their PS3 and pwn records that way. That's worse than TGL.

    You say n00bs will be disheartened by the 'insane' mp times that they see? Well afaik (was certainly the case with me) n00bs tend to look at the TOP records on each track and I'll let you all know now that NONE (maybe one, not sure) of the current mp WRs were done in Green Races. However, several of them were done using the latter method from the paragraph above. All the rest were done racing under normal circumstances.
    You tell me which one has stuffed the records most?

    It doesn't even matter to be honest, there are no MP records that a that much further ahead of anyone else, someone just needs to nail a good race and there you go, new WR. If TGL was causing records that were faster than Time Trials, fine, maybe have a word or two. Fact is, it's been going for a while and no breaking of record tables has occured.

    We've had a Hardcore League before, that was awesome. No absorbing allowed
    "BUT WAIT, YOU'RE ALLOWED TO ABSORB NORMALLY SO THIS LEAGUE IS WRONG."
    "Oh . So we can't have a different kind of fun from time to time )"

    You can try to counter with the "You're buggering the record tables!" approach but until at least 5 WRs (not a lot at all considering how game-breaking it is) exist as a result of TGL I'm not going to count that as a valid argument...and I rule all so there

    You like racing normally, great. You like racing without absorbing, great. You like racing without shooting other people, great. You like all choosing the same ship for a race just for fun, great. You like racing with weapons off, great.

    Do what you like, enjoy the game, stop bitching til it's properly broken (ignore SL tables for the sake of my argument please )

    Just going for a bit of clarification

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900
    Posts
    676

    Default

    Stinkleroy speaks the truth.

    Personally I also enjoy plain old weapons races. When it starts to get too frustrating I simply leave... And quite frankly, if you pick up a game, look at leaderboards, think 'this is unpossible!!1!' and then leave, then maybe the game wasn't all that interesting for you in the first place?

    IMO people can play WO anyway they like - as long as they play.

    Edit: Oh, and Yeldar speaketh it too

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Danterich
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace3cube View Post
    If I want " comporomised leaderboards times " as few ppl say, I got a better idea [but i think some pilots make it times ago] ==> I take one friend, put invit only and here we go ! I'm alone to race and i try to kick ass !
    I stay away at the moment and i " lol "
    100% ditto

  8. #38
    ACE-FLO's Avatar
    ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    AG-Beast from London East
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    Oi, "who's bitching" LOL that would be me.

    Anyway, I've expressed my disdain for the league, and am leaving it here for now. I'm starting to see the same repetitive noise worded differently with every post - so before I do the same - I'll quit while I'm ahead

    Thanks you all for your time, and passion regarding this matter - was an awesome exercise in futility on my part - but fun rants all the same Love you all and thanks for being patient with me.

    Final note - I agree to disagree

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    On the beach, England
    PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Noise?

    Being ahead?

    Futility?

    Rants?

    I thought this was a poll with added thread to discuss opinions and views And somewhere a way to advertise another league in off-topic mode. But mostly people expressing their opinions and some using other's posts to show they agree or disagree.

    Ace, you haven't won or left early to prevent getting cornered or just to post your flag on the summit. I think people will save that option for the tracks to be decided at ;D
    Last edited by AnErare; 14th July 2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelting mistakes

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    karsten_beoulve
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Just a semi off-topic.

    this game is frustrating, for newbies. REALLY frustating. I still have enormous problems with the game due to BRs mechanic (i'l never adapt to it), but i think that the GL is not the problem. After many months i've managed to stay in 5 seconds to good players in almost all the tracks, but there's a few ones were i, still today, after countless training get 12 seconds off!

    What the noobs need is a skill pairing method in the rooms, so that they can get to grow at their pace and hone their skills. And se each other grow.

    As a last note, if the races were weaponless i think i would have never battled vartazian, yeldar, shawnfrecle, sinus and the many unbeatable experts around here. And i would have lost LOTS of fun!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •