Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do all icaras players hate using weapons?

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Talking Do all icaras players hate using weapons?

Apologies if theres a thread like this, but i couldnt find/remember one.

Naturally different people prefer different race modes, whatever it my be, but has anyone else noticed the large majority of players who dislike using weapons during multiplayer races are icaras players?

Im not having a go here , It makes perfect sense really, its the fastest ship, its low shield means much absorbing for BR fuel , and being the SL/TT king many players will be very much accustomed to racing with no weapons.

The bit that confuses me the most however, is im surprised how many people flat out refuse to use a weapon at all!!! Weather it be they feel guilty, or believe they are fast enough to not need to use weapons.

While Id totally agree with anyone who says winning a race with no weapons is 10x more difficult, personally ive always believed weapons require far more skill than they're generally given credit for (bar the infuriating bombs & mines of course), and as ive never really wanted to use icaras, ive always needed to be aware of this crazy fast ship that in the right hands is very, very difficult to beat with my mediocre racing lines alone.

But yeah, I was wondering you guys think of this? icaras and non icaras players alike. Think im talking rubbish?
    Last edited by OBH; 13th July 2010 at 10:41 AM.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Yes

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

While I hate using weapons, I don't use the Icaras online at all. I do like using it in SL though!

I think it's possibly players that like SL moreso than just the Icaras itself who dislike weapons.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

@amplificated
    I always presumed liking SL/TT & Icaras goes hand for most people?
    Why dont you like them online out of interest. My guess would be the shield.

@yeldar
    yes you agree, or yes im talking rubbish?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I don't use it online because I think most newbs think it's "the win ship". So I prove I can beat them with anything else, even if it's all unsaid or even made up in my own mind
    Which ship you use is a bigger deal in the slower speed classes, and I just about never race in Phantom - rather, mostly rapier; but lately, I haven't been playing online at all. Actually, when it comes to Phantom, I don't think ship choice matters much at all really... Depends on technique followed by the luck of the draw with items, and to a lesser extent, the track. I guess on Sebenco, the Icaras would be less favoured than a ship with more shields and better handling.

Online is also a handy opportunity to rack up points for other teams since I've probably made over a million points if it counted that high for Icaras

Shields don't bother me in the slightest, I hardly ever get actually eliminated in a race no matter what ship I use, and BR's always take up the same % of energy. The tracks aren't nearly as demanding in rapier as they are in phantom.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    haiku_

Here let me give you the typical narrative of an Icaras pilot that isn't yeldar2097, wizardplay, w5lx, danteric, or concrete_d but somehow still manages to place top 3 often enough:

"Oh no I am not at the very front of the starting grid I have no hope of grabbing the first pick up and I since I don't have the thrust to get me out ahead in time. I guess I will just rely on the first speed pad to keep up with everyone!"

"Whew, glad I hit that pad and am in the pack, oh wait now everyone has weapons and I am getting missiles, rockets, and quakes up my ass. Oh cool now a bomb too."

"hm what a predicament for my poor Icaras craft as I am 2/3rds through the first lap and am at 50% health from getting my face beaten in and rammed into every objectg that happens to be vertically sticking up from the track."

"finally, I am hitting some pick-ups, I better get my health back up so I can start using BRs every chance I get to try and make my way back to the podium".

So it's not that I hate using weapons, it's that I never have the opportunity because I am usually using them to heal because my hello kitty colored ground rocket can't take first lap punishment from the harimau's, AG-Sys, and goteki's of the world. I'm willing to admit I am still doing something very wrong as my best times are usually in the top 200 and occasionally I break the top 100, and I play with some of the best of WOZ pilots often enough and see them finish in the top 30 using Icaras with plenty of weapons.

As an aside to this long and uninteresting post: I am considering moving away from Icaras because of this recurrent experience of getting rammed and shot up too much. I beat the entire HD/Fury campaigns on elite gold with AG-Sys and maybe I should go back to that or Harimau. I'm honest enough to admit that it's the Icaras top speed that gets me on the podium so it's addicting to keep using.

I don't really think it matters that much which ship one chooses to use online. It's just that, a choice.

Feisar ain't fast (esp pre-fury) and Welly caned most people . As did wowo with his AG-SYS. As did *Insert PSN* with his *Insert Ship*.

Same with weps really, some choose to use them, some choose not to. I only started using weps recently. Can't really say it makes that much difference to be honest, not in the long run at least.

That aside, there are deffers some Icaras pilots who are weapons-crazed-trigger-happy-maniacs ^_^

Well described haiku, sounds like me When I am racing on phantom,

PSN ID
    shapealot

i use icaras+ and i never really fire a shot as ive said somewhere before i need all the energy i can get for BRs, it is fun to fire a few at youre friends though when theyre not expecting it. personally i think the online leaderboards dont mean much anyway as its based on luck of the weapons or boosts, surely if it was just about weapons then why have a leaderboard at all. in all honesty i use online to have fun tryna do all the fun BRs but thats just me i suppose. do whatever brings a smile to youre face

edit: im not tryna get any online records at all never have
    Last edited by shapealot; 13th July 2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: DP

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

I pilot both Icaras and mainly AG online, and before some crazy patch hit this game last year I had absolutely no problems with weapons at all. But now I loathe to use them. Yes I know the game is called 'WipEout', yes I know weapons are and always have been part of the game but this game is FUBAR. I come from a 2097 background in which weapons were meant only to kill your shields...not slow you down to a complete halt and take at least 5 seconds to get going again....I mean come on, thats just ridiculous. The weapon randomisation is insane also, Ive gone through a 20 lap online race and recieved countless mines and bombs yet only 3 turbos!! WTH I don't recall this game being like this before June/July last year, and I really do feel that it was sony's intent to make the game easier for people to play.

I guess people take different things from wipeout, but for me....it's about going fast. There's no feeling like overtaking someone in a race because your lines were better, I gain no sense of accomplishment from blasting my way to victory at all. And thats why I stay away from online these days. Too many people out for glory creating a horrible race environment. You know, I'd never even touched TT till last year and I played solely online since release day. That makes me kind of sad that I've had to let go of my favourite mode, but hey ho....green races rule and Im always up for a friendly green/no weaps challenge. This league was born because I'm not the only one who feels this way. And for the green haters...well a simple solution to the leaderboard times is to play green races at 6 or more laps. Simple....

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    I don't really think it matters that much which ship one chooses to use online. It's just that, a choice.

Feisar ain't fast (esp pre-fury) and Welly caned most people . As did wowo with his AG-SYS. As did *Insert PSN* with his *Insert Ship*.
    you must remember pre fury it was either icaras, or AGS? in the same vain as what im saying about icaras, its totally understandable why ags were so popular pre fury, icaras being the fastest, AGS (was) the best all rounder, but with a MASSIVE shield.

Wellington was an exception to the rule, he was a badman in that feisar

Take harimau FURY now, you said yourself its the most improved ship and all rounder, no wonder when we raced earlier 4/5 players were harimau.

Granted, if you are good enough with whatever ship you choose, you will be competitive, but dont you think there are some ships you stand more chance of winning / improving with?

Same with weps really, some choose to use them, some choose not to. I only started using weps recently. Can't really say it makes that much difference to be honest, not in the long run at least.
    That i really dont understand. How can being rocketed off the bridge on AP, or being destroyed in one hit by a plasma "not make much difference"
    Last edited by OBH; 13th July 2010 at 02:38 PM.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Quote Originally Posted by stinkleroy View Post
    well a simple solution to the leaderboard times is to play green races at 6 or more laps. Simple....
    That sounds like the best solution to GREEN races. 6 Laps for GREEN league races/tourneys A very fair solution imo nice one Cat

I said it before but we've hadf countless threads in WZ about unfair times on leaderboards - gotten by questionable methods. This solution does sit well with me, and our lil universe which is wipEout... 6 laps green ftw, roll it someone please

AS for update 1.30 and before all that, I have no idea - I came late to the party, did I miss something? I think HD+Fury plays a lot like Pulse did online - cept with less DC's and its more fun with more peeps online. (Pulse servers are a haunting experience). And for me, I like the online aspect - offline i don't have the patience for unfortunately.

Having said all that about Icaras being a paper ship - I'm no Icaras hater, I actually love the team to bits (in Flash I ususally fly Piranha or Icaras) Just wanna let that be known. AG-SYS is my baby though

Quote Originally Posted by osama bin haydn View Post
    Granted, if you are good enough with whatever ship you choose, you will be competitive, but dont you think there are some ships you stand more chance of winning / improving with?
    Well you were pretty competitive earlier and you were using EG-X+ which is a POS

Personally no, I don't think ship choice makes the slightest bit of difference in the outcome of a race. Maybe if you're racing with a ship that it far removed from what you're used to, like using Triakis HD in the place of Feisar etc... then maybe it'll be a bit uncomfortable for the first few corners but that's it. If you're good enough to win a race, you can do it in any ship. In SL I suppose you do kinda want as much speed at your disposal as possible but online it really doesn't matter, it's just whatever you prefer to use.

Greenix - Harimau
    TCK - Harimau/AG-SYS
    Kingheim - EG-X
    Haydn - Piranha/Mirage/Harimau/EG-X (loyal isn't he )
    eLhabib - Assegai/Auricom/Qirex
    Wotan - AG-SYS
    Elois - Feisar/Icaras
    Welly - Feisar
    Hellfire - Qirex
    Pirhapac - Assegai/Harimau (I think he was assagai before??)
    *Insert name of famous pilot* - *insert ship of choice*

Not meaning to miss anyone out or get any of the ships wrong, the list could go on forever
    Point is, if you're fast, it's because you're fast, not because of your ship, that's just personal preference

Btw originally (thanks for the reminder LeeRoy ) I think it was suggested that the Green League would be 6 or more laps anyways. From my point of view, if you choose not to use weapons that's fine. If you choose to hammer the fire button even when you don't have a weapon that's fine too. You've chosen to race that way, you don't have to, so don't go bitching when people aren't shooting you (WTF? ) or if people shoot you too much. Don't tell other people in your room not to shoot you unless it's a pre-arranged thing, and don't tell people that it's a non-absorb room if that's been pre-arranged (see Hardcore League).

Some race to beat their PBs (and hopefully everyone else in the process), some race exclusively for the win regardless of how it happens. Either way, deal with it. It's good that we're not all the same, otherwise things get a bit boring innit

Timezone
    GMT -5

Haha, ACE-FLO has heard my speech about this topic before. Weapons do nothing but upset me (aside from green weapons). I'll be racing along in perfect line when I'm suddenly slowed to screeching halt by a lapped bomb or mines. Or I'll be hit by a quake then the people behind me think it's cool to kick me while I'm down and throw rockets my way while I'm still trying to recover.

To me, winning by just blowing the other racer(s) to smithereens doesn't prove you are a great racer at all. Having to rely on weapons as a crutch to win is a serious weakness. I prefer to win by having the best lines which is why usually I'll do two races on each track if I am hosting a race. One with weapons on, and another with weapons off just to make sure that the weapons-on race was not just a fluke. I only use weapons if antagonized first, or purely in defense.

I'll admit I aim for top times on the leaderboard with every race, but that's usually a matter of luck and getting a ton of boosts.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Well if you go back in the early days of HD when it was launched in September 2008 things where different, it was a smaller community, and players that played alot back then, you dont see at all only anymore. Wellington, etc. Things have changed alot for the game, since there is no new content coming out for this game in the near future like another well bloody deserved DLC pack, people have resulted to creating alot of leagues, Green League just being one of them. Still the records obtained from Green League events and similar races are like oil on top of water, it sits ontop, but its doesnt mix the the rest at all. Green League obtained records should have a records table of there own, and shouldnt be recognizes with the other records acquired in online multiplayer.

As for Icarus, i race that ship in elite single player and some online races with the weapons on. Tracks include Anaulpha Pass, Sol2 and Moa Therma. But the default ship for Fury would have to be the Harimau hands down, its made a bloody good transformation from its but ugly look from HD to Fury, now it is a pretty awesome looking ship that is also a good all rounder. If the shields actually meant something online ill probably fall back onto Triakis for online eliminator battles.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Quote Originally Posted by Unctuous View Post
    Haha, ACE-FLO has heard my speech about this topic before. Weapons do nothing but upset me ... I'll be racing along in perfect line when I'm suddenly slowed to screeching halt by a lapped bomb or mines. Or I'll be hit by a quake then the people behind me think it's cool to kick me while I'm down and throw rockets my way while I'm still trying to recover.
    Happens to everyone, not just you mate... it's the name of the game wipEout...

To me, winning by just blowing the other racer(s) to smithereens doesn't prove you are a great racer at all. Having to rely on weapons as a crutch to win is a serious weakness.
    Weapons are not a crutch - the game billed as a "High Speed Anti-Gravity Combat Racer" - emphasis on the Combat! Use of Weapons is in the intended nature of the game, and franchise for that matter - however there are options to turn weps off for the purists out there

I prefer to win by having the best lines which is why usually I'll do two races on each track if I am hosting a race. One with weapons on, and another with weapons off just to make sure that the weapons-on race was not just a fluke. I only use weapons if antagonized first, or purely in defense.
    A good way to race - I like that, and have been in your rooms before - mighty fun! One weps on, one weps off... I love the weps on btw. Cannon ftw lol

I'll admit I aim for top times on the leaderboard with every race, but that's usually a matter of luck and getting a ton of boosts.
    You're very fast Unc - luck is with the pick ups tho isn't it? proving my point (Use of Weapons)... everything else can be attributed to the skillset you have developed with the format

Quote Originally Posted by KIGO1987 View Post
    ...the records obtained from Green League events and similar races are like oil on top of water, it sits ontop, but its doesnt mix the the rest at all.
    How well put is that 6 laps is all good for GREEN league though, that way the oil doesn't affect/pollute out waters
    Last edited by ACE-FLO; 13th July 2010 at 04:22 PM.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Personally no, I don't think ship choice makes the slightest bit of difference in the outcome of a race.
    If 2 yeldars were racing each other an anulpha pass with no weapons, one was Icaras, one was Gotecki, and both had 5 perfect laps, who'd have won the race? How many of you just shouted out Icaras? your saying you think it doesnt make even the smallest bit of difference, honestly?

In SL I suppose you do kinda want as much speed at your disposal as possible but online it really doesn't matter, it's just whatever you prefer to use.
    Youve admitted you do kinda need icaras for TT/SL correct? So what are 'weapons off races' if not a TT with other players? Alright, i know there are other factors involved in a race, but i hope you understand the point im trying desperately to make

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

The emphasis of "High Speed Anti-Gravity Combat Racer" is what the line leads up to: racing! Getting to the finish line as fast as possible is the name of the game! Combat is just a throwaway word there that adds a little spice, but no skill

And there's nothing pure about being BR-restricted either

Weapons are too random say that being able to use them effectively is a skill. It's completely unfair to have one or more opponents blasting you with weapons while you're simply incapable of providing any resistance due to the fact you're getting cannons and that's it. Or being stuck in second by a hair and being unable to get any pickups for most of the lap because the guy in front is getting them all and using them to maintain that lead.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

but thats just not true, either slow down so the pad appears, or go for the speed pads and catch up.

You say its not a skill, yet dont posses the skills to get around your problems.

You know peoples main problem is prolific absorbing, at least wait until your near another weapon pad so you get another

Well it's possible that the yeldar flying with the Goteki would win because he'd shoot into the lead at the start. Yeldar's Icaras is faster, yes, but both yeldar's have an atrocious internet connection so the Icaras-dar will have massive difficulty getting past. If he get's close he won't really be able to get his hands on any weapons so Goteki-dar will be able to BR more and shoot the crap out of the Icaras. Could happen

TT/SL you have as many tries as you want. Weapons off races demand consistency right from the word 'GO'. Consistency is easiest to achieve using a ship you know very well i.e. whatever you use normally.
    Anyways, nobody uses weapons in weapons off races

I love weapons (except for overpowered rockets (don't even pretend you don't agree because you're lying ), lapped people shooting me and lapping awkwardly placed bombs), they make things ever so exciting....and tactical to boot. Using them has it's advantages and it's disadvantages. It's exactly the same if you don't use them, there are pros and cons. Choose whichever set of pros and cons you like and let everyone else race with the ones they prefer.
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 13th July 2010 at 04:29 PM.