Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do all icaras players hate using weapons?

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

now your just trying to be clever

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Haydn, point well made... I was shouting Icaras LOL. And yeah, I get what you're saying too... but whatever the case, the Icaras ship is weak, if it starts out back, i'm giving it hell care not

If i'm racing in one though - I got no one but myself to blame if I blow up straight as it is, i'm no sore loser... but if I win in one, I know one thing, I wouldnt have used as much weps as I would have in any other ship.. SO yes, in keeping with the thread title, I agree with you Haydn. That's just me. Are there others? unc already admitted he donesnt like to use them because he need his shield energy for BR's... it's a good point.

What ship you choose to race with, does influence how you play the game. For example, gimme a Piranha, and I'll love to barge you sometime!!! Not with the Icaras tho

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

I understand your point, and agree with most, but lets try and not turn this into BR / Weapons flaming, somones already put "community bitchoff" as a tag

I have griefs.... well, not 'griefs' as such, more annoyances at peoples misconceptions but can honestly say at no stage has anything 'ruined my experience'

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by ACE-FLO View Post
    What ship you choose to race with, does influence how you play the game.
    exactly what im saying, weather it be barging, shooting, or racing with no weapons
    Last edited by OBH; 13th July 2010 at 04:38 PM.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

I'm sorry but nobody can be 'skilled' enough with random weapons to dominate a room time after time; the level of skill that the weapons allow for isn't anywhere near high enough. It plays a certain roll, but not a great one. You want weapons tactics, play Blur. If we were talking about that I'd wholeheartedly agree with you Kigo, but in Wipeout, no, sorry. It's not that there's no skill involved, it's just more common sense than anything else. People who don't use weapons can avoid weapons too.
    Anyway, they are deliberately NOT buggering up your race, what's there to complain about?

Coming first in a Icaras because you think you use less weaps so you can BR? You can BR just as much in any ship. In fact, in an Icaras you'd need to absorb less to get more BRs because your shield % goes up by more per weapon than any other ship, so even though your shields are a bit rubbish, it doesn't really make much difference if you get shot because you can get back to 100% more easily. The only time it will make much difference is if you either in the melee at the start of a race and get unlucky, or if you're hovering around the 10-15% mark, in which case you won't be BRing at all.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Do all Icaras players hate using weapons? > I don't know about that, I'm not an Icaras player. However I'm fairly certain I would use them if I used Icaras.

Now I'm gonna address a few points made in here (but only once)

Are there ships that allow you to win more easily? > No. I don't believe so. What makes the good players win more easily is the fact that they are better players at the time of the races. The end. I won with Goteki and I think everyone will agree that this ship does not make it easy. But I still use it because of the reasons I chose it, and also because I'm one of the few left. I don't win often, sometimes being 3-4 against the best players, but then these players are better than me and so they win. Sometimes though I win against them, and I was better that time, this is simply how it works.

Do weapons require skill? > Yes. Someone who knows how to use weapons more effectively will get more hits than people who don't. Knowing how to use weapons can grant you a victory. Yes indeed, it can. Some people have a problem with that, I can understand. But the name of the game is WipEout, and there are weapons. So in races where they are active, it's either use them strategically, or learn how to avoid them, but you cannot say that using weapons to win is a weakness. It is a strength to know how and when to use weapons. Using weapons is a mind game, you have to think how to put your current weapon to it's best use. If you can't, absorb and roll the dice when you pick another up.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

@D777

A calm, collected comment amidst the passionate ranting, from a rare dying breed of goteki pilots

i think icarus players dont use weapons as much as others because icarus is the favoured ship of TT and SL looking at the leaderboards so these players who are good with them have a plan of just flying perfectly around the track and have no need to shoot cos their are nobody to shoot also they need energy to absorb for their million and one BR..
    But the crap icarus players probally use lots of weapons cos they are losing cos they should of stuck to an easy ship..

i like icarus but its too hard for me to use in phantom..im just not good enough..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Default Moderator Message

I just deleted 46 posts from this thread because it was ridiculously off topic and went off topic from only the 2nd post. If I saw no attempt in the post to be relevant to the question about the relationship between Icaras and using weapons, then I deleted it. That means a lot of people will have wasted a lot of time writing a lot of stuff, some valuable, some not. Unfortunately everyone will just have to deal with that, and if they don't like it, then the answer is simple - stay on topic.

I'd love to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume everyone will get back on topic eventually, but in this case, very few even tried to steer things back. This is happening in an increasing number of threads, and often it's the same individuals involved. I feel thoroughly disappointed about this, and henceforth, if things start going off-topic in such a way, especially when certain people are treating the forum like their own personal chat-box, then I'm just going to delete their posts. End of.

EDIT: Make that 47 posts
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 13th July 2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: .

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    brummpahh

/topic on/

i'm an Icaras pilot and i'm using lots of nasty weapons.
    (sometimes even tactical, lol)
    Absorbing is another favorite of mine, but i just can't
    avoid a little bomb here and there...
    It depends on the mood and the beer-factor

@brmmpha thats cos your only a pretend icarus player...you are a assagia player using a icaras true assagai players like you love to blow things up...

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    stay on topic.
    Really SaturnReturn? You didn't see the relevance of Icaras ships / non use of weapons /GREEN races at all? I find this hard to beleive. When I last saw this thread it was 7 pages long, now reduced to only 3 The bulk of the debate, which had no trolling - but varied and mixed opinions, from pilots whose opinions on the matter (though varied) were relevant enough to stay on topic through the thread, were deleted...

Yes I can see that a few posts were unnecessary but 47? It's extreme man, that's what I think. You'll probably delete this post next, as it's not really on topic. I'm no moderator, and respect the decisions you make mate, but there were a lot of posts that had valid points bought up in them, which would have otherwise gone unmentioned here at "wipeoutzone" where we discuss all things pertaining to wipeout, and then some!

I hope I havent spoken out of turn, just a bit annoyed that I came here re-read some posts and now they are gone. Not even another thread created for the deleted posts anywhere else on the forum.

i would love to back you up ace but unfortunatley the posts were deleted before i read them..so who knows how good/bad they were...
    maybe they should create a crap thread where all deleted stuff goes so players who missed out can go and read..but then on second thoughts they dont need too they can just go and visti my threads instead

back on topic...

when i use icarus i never shoot weapons cos im always absorbing just to stay alive and not die from my naff flying...

my overall opinion of icaras is you wont reap any of the benifits of this fast ship unless you are really hot at the track your playing..from my experience most icaras's lose races and if they win their pretty much unbatable..i never see a average one alwasy one or th other..

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    IoannisVita

so we are supposed to give robotic and simple answers of a yes or no i see, since through discussion its logical to get a little of topic.
    anyway, so my answer to the first question is YES.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Really SaturnReturn? You didn't see the relevance of Icaras ships / non use of weapons /GREEN races at all?
    It was turning into GREEN League flaming a bit....
    I didnt realise there was such a large number of crazy posts in here, but its hardly surprising.

There was an awful lot of unrelated (though relatively funny) bs in here. Dont get too wound about it mate

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    I love weapons (except for overpowered rockets (don't even pretend you don't agree because you're lying ), lapped people shooting me and lapping awkwardly placed bombs)
    I missed this quote before, and to answer, i love rockets i dont like being shot by rockets as im lapping someone, but to be honest, i think i only like them because after having a lengthy break from wipeout.... ive kinda forgotten how much less brutal they used to be I could put the kettle on quicker than i could get back up to speed.

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

NO Haydn, nobody flamed the GREEN league. And it was all relevant, since you asked the question "Do all Icaras pilots hate using weapons?" YES they BLOODY do... they even have their own league called GREEN league and they get unfair times through it... wtf was wrong with that op? If things get heated and passionate here, sop what? that's a good thing,and before mods start running it - no one flamed anyone or anything!

I can see why you feel this way though Haydn, seems every thread you start is a controversial one - and you hate the stigma attached to you with these threads tyou create... this was not a big deal at all . The thread was interesting, had mixed opinions, and a lot of valid points...

But since all that content is now deleted, I'm starting a thread aspecifically about the GREEN league. There. Off topic that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Danterich

now, that i race Mirage lately i gotta shout out that i LOVE MY WEAPONS

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

You sir are a legend

See, in my little head, someone learning the wonders of weapons simply by switching teams says a lot. Naturally your going to enjoy races that are better suited to the characteristics of your ship.

As an example, i bet im not the only one who uses triakis or pirahna in elimination matches?

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Haydn - awesome races bud and for this above comment thank you, weps rule with the right ships in the right hands of course

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Danterich

lol haydn and lol ace

i like green races in icaras(rapier and lower) too...successful pacifist x 917

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I hope I havent spoken out of turn, just a bit annoyed that I came here re-read some posts and now they are gone. Not even another thread created for the deleted posts anywhere else on the forum.
    I've done that a few times recently, i.e created another thread when things went off topic. But people aren't showing signs of learning from that and taking the initiative themselves so this time I just wasn't in the mood for being quite so helpful. There's no infraction for people constantly going off topic, and I couldn't be bothered to try politely explaining it to people who have been members for ages and should already know better.

In my opinion, by the end this thread was just people repeating points over and over about whether weapons on/off, or green races were good/bad/better. Believe me, very little of anything new was actually said. There were one or two points made that could be considered relevant, but they were repeated so many times, and that's partly why there were so many deleted posts. People need to learn when they've made their point and then just leave it there. You only had to look at the multiple times that the argument "it's called wipeout" was made to realise that it had reduced into a pointless repetitive loop. Aside from that it was just banter at the end. I'm fine with banter, but there was just way too much of it.

I started off and I thought, "if it gets back on topic I'll leave all this green league stuff". But it just never did. Given that I'd read OBH trying to get things back on topic, it seemed to me even the OP thought it was too far off, which reinforced my opinion. Then when the OP states that the thread has descended into madness, I thought to myself, "yeah I should definitely tidy this up". By the time I'd read through it all and given any serious posts consideration, the whole thing had taken a **** off long time and I wasn't exactly in the mood for mincing my words.

Finally, apologies to OBH as I'm being off topic here too, but if people are going to criticise me this way then I think I deserve the right to reply. If people want to criticise me in future though, it's best to do it on my profile page so that it doesn't further derail threads.