Thread: Do all icaras players hate using weapons?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Talking Do all icaras players hate using weapons?

Apologies if theres a thread like this, but i couldnt find/remember one.

Naturally different people prefer different race modes, whatever it my be, but has anyone else noticed the large majority of players who dislike using weapons during multiplayer races are icaras players?

Im not having a go here , It makes perfect sense really, its the fastest ship, its low shield means much absorbing for BR fuel , and being the SL/TT king many players will be very much accustomed to racing with no weapons.

The bit that confuses me the most however, is im surprised how many people flat out refuse to use a weapon at all!!! Weather it be they feel guilty, or believe they are fast enough to not need to use weapons.

While Id totally agree with anyone who says winning a race with no weapons is 10x more difficult, personally ive always believed weapons require far more skill than they're generally given credit for (bar the infuriating bombs & mines of course), and as ive never really wanted to use icaras, ive always needed to be aware of this crazy fast ship that in the right hands is very, very difficult to beat with my mediocre racing lines alone.

But yeah, I was wondering you guys think of this? icaras and non icaras players alike. Think im talking rubbish?
    Last edited by OBH; 13th July 2010 at 10:41 AM.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Yes

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

While I hate using weapons, I don't use the Icaras online at all. I do like using it in SL though!

I think it's possibly players that like SL moreso than just the Icaras itself who dislike weapons.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

@amplificated
    I always presumed liking SL/TT & Icaras goes hand for most people?
    Why dont you like them online out of interest. My guess would be the shield.

@yeldar
    yes you agree, or yes im talking rubbish?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I don't use it online because I think most newbs think it's "the win ship". So I prove I can beat them with anything else, even if it's all unsaid or even made up in my own mind
    Which ship you use is a bigger deal in the slower speed classes, and I just about never race in Phantom - rather, mostly rapier; but lately, I haven't been playing online at all. Actually, when it comes to Phantom, I don't think ship choice matters much at all really... Depends on technique followed by the luck of the draw with items, and to a lesser extent, the track. I guess on Sebenco, the Icaras would be less favoured than a ship with more shields and better handling.

Online is also a handy opportunity to rack up points for other teams since I've probably made over a million points if it counted that high for Icaras

Shields don't bother me in the slightest, I hardly ever get actually eliminated in a race no matter what ship I use, and BR's always take up the same % of energy. The tracks aren't nearly as demanding in rapier as they are in phantom.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    haiku_

Here let me give you the typical narrative of an Icaras pilot that isn't yeldar2097, wizardplay, w5lx, danteric, or concrete_d but somehow still manages to place top 3 often enough:

"Oh no I am not at the very front of the starting grid I have no hope of grabbing the first pick up and I since I don't have the thrust to get me out ahead in time. I guess I will just rely on the first speed pad to keep up with everyone!"

"Whew, glad I hit that pad and am in the pack, oh wait now everyone has weapons and I am getting missiles, rockets, and quakes up my ass. Oh cool now a bomb too."

"hm what a predicament for my poor Icaras craft as I am 2/3rds through the first lap and am at 50% health from getting my face beaten in and rammed into every objectg that happens to be vertically sticking up from the track."

"finally, I am hitting some pick-ups, I better get my health back up so I can start using BRs every chance I get to try and make my way back to the podium".

So it's not that I hate using weapons, it's that I never have the opportunity because I am usually using them to heal because my hello kitty colored ground rocket can't take first lap punishment from the harimau's, AG-Sys, and goteki's of the world. I'm willing to admit I am still doing something very wrong as my best times are usually in the top 200 and occasionally I break the top 100, and I play with some of the best of WOZ pilots often enough and see them finish in the top 30 using Icaras with plenty of weapons.

As an aside to this long and uninteresting post: I am considering moving away from Icaras because of this recurrent experience of getting rammed and shot up too much. I beat the entire HD/Fury campaigns on elite gold with AG-Sys and maybe I should go back to that or Harimau. I'm honest enough to admit that it's the Icaras top speed that gets me on the podium so it's addicting to keep using.