Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to Vent!!!

i downloaded wipeout 1 off ps3 store..

wow its hard espicially in the fast ships (quirex and auiricom) and on the fast speed class..but it is rewarding when you can fly without crashing as crashing really slows you in wipeout..

i do not like the fact that crashing in hd is ok cos it makes the game less pure.but then nothing is perfect so i just acept it...

As this thread is about needing to vent here is my vent....

a minority of top players who are serial quitters they give up as soon as they get shot or crash some have even quit cos they lost the turbo start to the first pad..but they have no problem playing when things are in their favour.when i mean quit they just put the game pad down and sit on the track.I cant believe how much this happens with certain players
    imo its poor sportsmanship.
    and im not talking about my controller battery died mid race..thse are just pure quitters who quit cos things didnt go in their favour..

novice players quit but i can accept that as they sometimes enter a race and did not realise they were out of their depth..

and i can understand players who quit midrace cos the race rules were changed and they did not realise and wouldnt have played them if they knew.

i never quit in a race i will always try my hardest out of respect for the other players so when they win it was a worthy win not given to them .

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I don't like a lot of the corners in HD either; not only are they sticky, but I reckon you hit them before you actually make contact a lot of the time as well. Try and stick as close to the wall as possible on the long right hander in Tech De Ra reverse - I see sparks coming out of thin air if I go too close ot the wall! Frustrating as. Though at this point in time I've mostly come to grips with the locations of these areas and remember to give them enough room.

@ Wipeout 1: I dl'd that off the PSN to see what it was like as well, and I just couldn't come to grips with how the ships handled. It was more like how I remembered WO, and it was totally weird. Stopped playing after about 30 minutes and haven't touched it since xP

wipeout 1 is better on the playstation. the psn version is some sort of odd hybrid of something, it doesn't really feel like the pal or ntsc version. the ps1 version is really good with a negcon though agwolf is quite good with a dpad.\

"Only reason I can keep up with people is because I live on youtube (thank you kind people ). Problem is, not everyone does.
    ...Something like that, I'll stop now; need someone who knows what they're talking about to re-iterate my on-the-fly ramblings "

keep up with people, you are the best one on the records tables from what I have seen, consistently 1,2,3.

That is cool you did that test, 8 seconds per race, wow, alot there.

I would also prefer the scrape until too hard, then "clunk", People would stop blasting walls (in some areas) and still get fast times. I would be a recipient of this said "clunk"

I do agree on some turns though that it does "suck" you into the wall way too easily with a minor touch. this stoppage should be reserved for hard hits (but hard hits everywhere though)

EXPERT MODE ANYONE ?

Ok I just checked my 2097 records and they don't even come close to the records on the site But I played a few races and it came back so quickly, man I love that game!

I wanted to clarify the HD difficulty, the game is STILL A HARD GAME. It is incredibly difficult to get near yeldar saturn, ect. You really need to know what you are doing, and then actually be able to do it. I was just saying I like the difficulty style of xl more, being you need a perfect race to have a great time.

The guys who are playing 2097 should give XL a try, it is a different game. 2097 is close to flying, where xl is more like floating, and a little smoother. I would also say it is a little easier because of this.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

@Fasty : I terribly understand your feeling!!!!!
    The top for me is on the mag strip... I'm really often attacted by walls and stuck to them 'till I'm almost stopped...

@Jasmin : Wipeout 1 was very hard. I got it after 2097 more than 10 years ago and I remember I struggled seriously to finish that game... you can't touch a wall and can never leave the others several seconds behind you...
    But hey, the tracks were a lot better, and A LOT longer!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    karsten_beoulve

My 2 cents; I'm an older player and i like wipeout, wipeout2097 and wip3out a LOT more, and i consider them easier and more rewarding to play to play.

i think the main problem with HD are BRs. I can do great lines and all, but no way i can do all the sick BRs... that leaves me always a lot behind, since this game is quite havily BR based.

in any case i never leave the pad or rage quit. you know, you can always try new lines even if you're in the last position!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Guys like Yeldar, Pirahpac, Eric7dm, Dark-Phantom, Unctuous are not bad at performing BR, but they win because of their good lines ! In no weapon races 6 BRs maximum are possible, and more often 3 or 4 because of ramming and wall hits, what do you think that makes the difference if it's not lines ?
    Also, there's the possibily of creating NO BR races, in that case you'll never be lot behind with your great lines !
    Last edited by leungbok; 8th July 2010 at 10:18 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Indeed, I never saw "NO BR" races online!!!!
    I thought several times to create one but I fear nobody would join

I'm not a "anti BR" guy, but sometimes, just to change a bit, I'd like to make some old-school races.

I should try WO3, I'm just I would try to BR, just by habit

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I think that lines are 80% of what will pull you through in a typical single/online race; but when looking at TT's and especially speed laps, BR's are integral as they can change the lines and boost locations you need to take, sometimes significantly - and there's absolutely no way you could get anywhere near the top times without them.

There are a lot of advanced BR's that are just too risky to try in online races, as you aren't guaranteed to nail them every time. So yeah, online, lines are a good portion of what you need to be good at following; the other things contributing to winning being mostly lucky with pickups, and only a small bit being good at BR's. They're pretty much just icing on the cake.

And as much as I like BR's, there are some that are just insanely hard to pull off! Here's looking at you, BR coming out of the initial left on AP

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Well this isn't really that helpful but here's some data for funsies

Anulpha Pass Reverse - 5x Boost - 25x BR - Icaras - 1.45.08

Anulpha Pass Reverse - 0x Boost - 0x BR - Mirage+ - 1.53.47

Personally I thought the difference of 25BRs and 5 lovely boosties would be much greater than that.... Of course, the difference will vary from track to track and both of these times could no doubt be improved but it's interesting to see. Kinda

I've never been able to take that corner hitting wall I allways slowdown I use to just save autopilot and shield for it lol. Now can take every time without hitting and slowing down. Except foron phantom woul be one in four laps lol

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    karsten_beoulve

Nobody enters no BR races or stays more than a race... so i stopped bothering creating them

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not bitter about Brs, i can do the basic and obvious ones, but i just resign myself not to be high in lap times or winning races against good people that easily performs those hard BRs.

There's a reason for me having a ratio of 120 out 2000 races wins

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Were those TT or SR times Yeldar?

It's just that there's less than 6% difference between those times, so my 80% lines and only a tiny bit being BR's theory is on track so far! xP especially if those are TT's
    It'd probably be hard to test the luck with weapons/items bit though, since it's all random... would probably need 2 people playing against each other and seeing which # of used items were effective to get a result, but I don't think it's worth getting into

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Yeldar: try some 4 TT like this:

0 turbo, max BR, max SS
    0 turbo, 0 BR, max SS
    0 turbo, max BR, 0 SS
    0 turbo, 0 BR, 0 SS

Then we'll have a better idea of what's going on, how much the BR and SS help.
    My intuition is that SS help a lot more than expected by many.

And Fasty: I also hated sticky walls, until I learned how to detach from them
    using a sideshift, at first I was still wasting time because I did the SS too late,
    but now it's become a reflex so I'm almost instantly going away from the wall
    when I hit it. Do the same.
    Last edited by Connavar; 8th July 2010 at 01:49 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

I actually found Pulse to be worse with the "sticky walls". Coming from Pure -- the first Wipeout game I could actually be good at -- and then seeing my speed drop to zero instead of glancing off the wall and moving on was pretty tough.

Viewing the action from the pilot's seat was of course impossible because you had no idea how much ship there was between your "head" and the wall. Maybe if the edges of the ships were clearly indicated (with some kind of red-and-white striped warning strip on the side) and it had a good contrast with the wall, it would be easier to tell how far you are from it.

Quote Originally Posted by amplificated View Post
    Were those TT or SR times Yeldar?
    TT

Yeah I'll do that test in a bit Conna. Although it will make a massive difference which track I choose of course....maybe I'll do a few

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Do this on the 24 tracks of the game, make sure to repeat the process 3 times
    to average the times and reduce the errors, this should give you 24x4x3 = 288
    times, with this we can plot a graph.
    Ok thanx bye!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Yeah I think yeldar could do it. xD

-_-;;