Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken left stick

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

Default Broken left stick

Last time i had to buy a new controller due breaking a part of the plastic round the left analogue stick...

Now i feel that the left stick of my new controller is already loos'ning up, it plays like ****.

Am I the only one breaking controllers playing WOHD?

In the end it's more expensive than buying games

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I bought a new Sony dualshock 3 last week, and although I don't use the stick, I use the D-Pad, I do think the new controller isn't quite built to the same quality level of my 1st generation sixaxis.
    The plastic seems a cheaper quality and cosmetically almost like a very good copy of a Sony controller.

It works fine [actually a more sensitive D-Pad ], but then it's only new, hopefully it has some longevity to it.
    The left stick breaking is not uncommon, there are plenty of Youtube videos that show you how to repair it, that's if what's wrong with yours is the same problem.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I've broken two L1 buttons and it is very frustrating. As BW says, they don't seem to be built very well. The L1/R1 buttons push against a very flimsy-looking cantilevered bit of moulded plastic. For me it's just not good enough for a controller that costs so much. My first controller seemed to last a long long time, but then the next one broke really soon after.

The latest controller I bought felt dodgy from the start. The L1 button just feels like it already goes too far into the body of the controller. I probably should have sent it back, but it's hard to tell whether something is right if you were previously playing on a broken controller anyway.

At the EWC I found Mad-Ice's controllers also have broken L1 buttons. Somehow he still seems to be able to not just play with the broken controller, but perform with it. Crazy!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tug_14

As usually , a french pilot did it before

joke gentlemen... ^^

but a french did it before !!!!!!!
    sorry sat , i stop

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

We all know pirahpac is responsible for a lot of firsts in the game, but I very much doubt that breaking a controller is one of them.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    brummpahh

when you get a new DS3, you can treat the sticks
    internals with teflon-spray. Then they will have a good
    chance of eternal life. The original lubricant is
    gone with the wind in 4 weeks...
    Last edited by brummpahh; 30th May 2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: misspelling

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

Yeah I have seen the video's on youtube, but don't feel like doing sort of stuff myself :s

R1 buttons broke?? Do you guys use r1/l1 for sideshift or what?

Brummppah, spraying with teflon spray works good you say, but where do I have to spray them? From the outside in or do I have to remove the ds3's cover and all?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Yup, loads of us use L1/R1 buttons for airbrakes. I think most people prefer it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

DualShock 2 was **** already. Only the very first generation on DualShock was well built.
    Right now the left stick of my second DS3 (yea the one I intentionally paid 60€ for -_-) is coming loose...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

+1 for never breaking a controller
    Last edited by amplificated; 31st May 2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: I missed the "e" in breaking somehow :(

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Been using the same DS3 since they first came out, including a good 500-600 hours of Wipeout. Broken the L2 button but that was because I missed the sofa and hit the wall

Personally I feel that the DS3 is more solid than the Sixaxes/Sixaxisisisis (?) that I have but that may just be a weight thing. Sixaxis always felt a bit flimsy and light to me. Maybe the older DS3's are built better...or maybe it's my girly-ass soft hands. Handle your pad like you'd handle a woman

afaik IH8YOU's DS3 no longer has either stick because he sawed them off
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 31st May 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    brummpahh

@R3BU5ER ... hi m8, well you'd have to open
    that DS3, which is trivial, but closing it again
    is tricky sometimes...
    So if you feel uncomfortable about this - let it be.

Just in case you wanna do it:
    - disassemble until you can remove the plastic sticks
    (just drag 'em a little)
    - spray directly into the hole, where the tiny white
    stick is located (no worries, no chance of a shortcut,
    because the sensor is located outside the stick enclosure)
    - reassemble
    I'm using "Fin-Super" an industrial brand.
    I guess every comparable other brand does the job too, as
    long as it does not contain strong solvents.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

after killing 2 dual shocks from overplay on my ps2, i alternate between my two DS3s to try and keep them fresh.

PSN ID
    R3BU5ER

Well Brummpah, thanx for explaining this.
    I will consider it. First I will have to check some youtube movies very closely otherwise I'll only mess up I also have another option...

I still have this first ds3 where the plastic round the stick literally broke, and I bought a second-hand controller one time for 15eu wich I think of it's a fake... It looks exactly the same, only the buttons stick out a little, the sticks aren't smooth at all and the r2 doesn't react properly. (in other words an enormous miss-buy) but the cover is good, so was thinking to replace the front of the 'fake' controller with the broken ds3. But It'll be an even more tricky operation..

Will check it out anyway...Yeah Yeldar, also girls like it rough sometimes But I know what you mean. I am trying now to do BR's gently not to hit the sides with the stick too much. And I noticed when you 'roll' the stick round it also does a BR. But that isn't very quick and accurate...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    Personally I feel that the DS3 is more solid than the Sixaxes/Sixaxisisisis (?) that I have but that may just be a weight thing. Sixaxis always felt a bit flimsy and light to me. Maybe the older DS3's are built better...or maybe it's my girly-ass soft hands. Handle your pad like you'd handle a woman
    I never got a DS3, I have two 6A's and they're working more or less as they did when I got them. Only about 300 hours in WOHD though

I could never appreciate/actually notice rumble in games anyway, so I don't mind that aspect; but the controllers do feel a little cheap and I bet I could break them in my hands if I wanted to. 'Wish there was an option out there for the PS3 that matched the design of the official PS3 controllers, but had much better build quality.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    IoannisVita

i ve never had a problem with my ds3 yet...
    beside wipeout, i play a LOT of hack n' slashes (like ninja gaiden,god of war) that really destroy the controllers!

i have one suggestion for you guys :
    if you dont like ds3 and prefer the classic ds2, you can always buy an adaptor for 8 euros that will make your ds2 work perfectly with ps3
    i have one and it works perfectly.
    sure this way you dont have motion sensitivity, the analog l2 r2 and wireless but you save 40 euro!
    think of it and use whatever you like!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

I use a white PSone-era Dual Shock for WOHD... the thing is like a TANK. I can't use the DS3 for the game because the D-Pad has too much travel- it prevents me from executing a barrel roll properly.

I will say, both DS3 controllers I own feel flimsy (on the rare occasions that I use either of them), and the Sixaxis I originally had crumbled under the weight of my fist in one blow.

Side comment: My launch-model DualShock 2 is still going strong, and the sticks aren't limp at all. :3

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

I guess it's just because I have a woman's touch then

You're right about the PSX DS's, they will outlive us all (and look badass in the process).

Weird about the DS2's though, I've gone through about 6 of those since their inception, mostly shoulder button / O button / Casing issues.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    icarasDragon

I haven't broken mine yet but I can pull the stick 1/4 out of the socket to give it a rough feeling... In fact I did it just then! (and I bought HD a week ago!)
    +1 Aus DS3 Durabilty!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    il_mago_di_Doz

I broke one L2 and a half

I am wondering why we all wipeout pilots are breaking only the left airbreak button?