Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    long discussions nobody wants to read. xD
    Yep

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Default Moderator Message

Dan Locke has frequently dismissed the rules we have here and amassed a number of infractions since joining. The latest one I gave him for the post ahead of this one was worth more than a standard unnecessary quotation infraction, IMO, so I gave one I felt was deserved. This resulted in an auto-suspension, which, having checked further, I believe will last about a week, and I think seems about right.
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 11th June 2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: .

I did like this quote exchange

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ProblemSolver
    How do you measure 'better'? What's the metric?

"Walls hit divided by minutes of playing time?"

that is actually a pretty good measurement

Was'nt this thread just about wanting to use a keyboard to use on Wipeout HD though because someone likes using it better, and says they control better with that device. I don't think it needed to turn into this sort of argument. When I get done making it, we can see how it works. It is unfortunate it will not work on pure/pulse, because that is where it would wipe the floor with a regular controller due to the pitch issues, but for HD, I am thinking similar results if not a little better for the same person skilled in both controls. Some people cannot get used to the keyboard though, and many, many people don't want to get used to it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SpaceFolding

I thought I'd never see the day where someone would find the controller to be anything less than ideal for Wipeout. Unless if you grew up playing WOXL on PC with a keyboard. The first thing I did when I bought a PS3 and WOHD was changing the steering to D-pad, and the brakes to L1/R1. Voila, super snappy input! I'm not going to argue, because I've seen PC FPS players play using inverted mouse before.

many would say the dpad is less than ideal for wipeout, especially the older versions. It's just what you like really, I don't see any disadvantage of a keyboard to a dpad with buttons. you can have 5 finger on buttons at all times, covering everything except look back, so the ability to be more responsive is there. Most find the keyboard annoying though, I know that, and it is bulk

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Curious question, what did you mean by "If the keyboard turned out to be superior and you improve your times with it, then people can easily dismiss those times"?
    What about the negcon, widely considered to be necessary for getting good times? :S Mind you, some have proved that its not so necessary

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

I don't suppose that means I'd be aloud to use a DS3 attached to a PSP for Pure/Pulse at the next convention would it?

I swear if you used a kb for WOHD you wouldn't have enough fingers cos both your thumbs are taken out of the equation. Tried WOXL with kb and i couldn't for the life of me sort out thrust, shooting, airbrakes AND pitch. Beyond me, by miles

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

@rdmx - In this case I just felt like DL seemed to be stating that the game was unplayable with a DS3 and that a keyboard would solve all his problems, i.e. be vastly superior such that the game would then be playable for him. To me that sounded like quite a big leap. Such a leap would then make me question how good he actually is. I think if a person wants to improve, then eventually they will always be looking at their times and ranks compared to others. If he changed to keyboard and all of a sudden the game was much easier to control and his rank improved by 50 places or so, then how would he know how much of that was the keyboard?

I do realise that this all falls apart a bit in some ways, as lots of different people use different types of controller. It's very true about NeGcon. For me it would be the same case to some extent. If the NeGcon was considered far superior and I didn't have one to use then I wouldn't compare my times with a standard controller to those achieved with a NeGcon. It did have one big difference for me though, in that it was a controller made for the Playstation to control a racing game.

At the end of the day I don't care what DL does in terms of how it affects me, but I spent quite a lot of time wondering about d-pad vs. stick, and tried other controllers which people claimed were better, and at the end of the day I found it better to just stay with the DS3, as everyone else seemed to manage with it and now I know exactly where I stand. So I just wanted to offer that point of view.

yeldar, you could use a sixaxis for the tourney officially, since it has been allowed by sony themselves. I found it to actually not work quite as well, not sure if lag or inputs occasionally not working, or I just wasn't used to it, it didn't feel as responsive as the actual psp controller. It was WAY more comfortable than the psp though. I actually tried out RDC's bluetooth negcon on pure and pulse, and that was pretty good, but I don't think even if I practiced with it that it would be as good as the psp controller. Do you use the sixaxis for pure/pulse?

"What about the negcon, widely considered to be necessary for getting good times? :S Mind you, some have proved that its not so necessary"

About 99% of the records in wipeout1/xl/2097/3/3se are done with the negcon, so it's pretty clear that is the better controller for those games. Not that someone cannot get a great time without it, but the consistency isn't there. I'd challenge anyone to take a analog stick or dpad and race arnaud in wipeout xl and beat him even once in 100 races.

there is no need for the negcon in the newer games, as it is made for the dpad/analog stick. There is no slide to the ships like in the older games, OR mistake pitching. You cannot mistake pitch in pure/pulse/hd, so the issue is just left right. The smooth turning in wo1,xl,64,3 is not present in the newer games. In HD you do not continue to slide, and there is also only 12 degrees of movement. Once you brake in the newer games you have "grip", unlike the older games. Also, bottoming out doesn't slow you down anywhere near as much in the older games

The main reason that the negcon or analog sticks do not have an advantage over the dpad, is that you can sideshift anything, resulting in immediate grip, this was not possible in the older games, as you had to time "early" your turns, and correcting mid turn was difficult.

Yeldar, for someone who played lots of fps on the pc, I could see this being better for them. the dpad would be the arrows. then for the left hand, you would need two fingers on brakes, one for gas, one for weapon(spacebar thumb maybe), and one for absorb. look back would have to be the button next to the index finger. So I think it would be very possible to play well. Especially if you have the same setup for all the wipeout games. Wipeout 3 would need to be a little different with the turbo, but then I would turbo next to one of the brakes, since you don't really brake and turbo at the same time in wo3.

OK, that was really boring, in August after the tourney, I'll make one and we can see how it plays.
    Last edited by JABBERJAW; 12th June 2010 at 04:24 PM.