Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you barrel roll on the flat?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

You are all smart arse bastards!
    I can't do a BR at any of those places if my life depended on it.
    And it's not a matter of not having tried to do it, I, Like many wipeout pilots , must have "Retard Thumb's" when it comes to BR's.
    I suck at them.....I wish they weren't such an integral part of the game

PSN ID
    shapealot

"motion pitch" and fingers of light FTW

Wiggle you play with the dpad yeah? Well that's your problem

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Say whaaaaat? Nothing wrong with d-pad for barrel rolls.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Quote Originally Posted by mikrucio View Post
    Wiggle you play with the dpad yeah? Well that's your problem
    Link to Leungbok's YT channel inc....
    d-pad user extraordinaire

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Of course Leungbok is an incredible d-pad user. But I believe mikrucio isn't far from the truth there. Why? tbh the number of high level pilots using analog stick is somewhat relevant compared to the d-pad samuraï extraordinaire guys. I believe analog permits a better control regarding your lines, not sure it gives you an advantage for BRs btw, as the most difficult BRs require ages of practice anyway, for d-pad user as for analog ones.

Don't misunderstand me; of course it's billion hours of practice first, but after I watched hundreds of vids on yt, something is telling me these ace lines (like the ship always at 0.00001 inch of the walls) have something to do with the analog control in some way. Not something obvious for sure, but it's imho something to wonder about.
    Also regarding motion control applied to pitch, well I believe it's the best setting ever. Leungbok you told me already I could throw up this last BR on Sol2 Fwd, well maybe one day, but I firmly believe it's far more easier to pull out this one with motion control instead of pressing down/up on my d-pad. Timing is crazy with d-pad only, my thumbs are still fast but I'm getting older ah ha.
    Last edited by kanar; 28th October 2010 at 11:12 AM.

as already said but now by me who like you didnt know how to do it well until the other day when i was told to qjon (many thanks to him)

you can do turbo br with the

stick
    d-pad
    motion sensor

just learnt it yestarday and did all types..it works

pitch down and pitch up and hold pressing turbo when u have pitched to your highest point..

timing is key

pitch down for .25 then pitch up and hold.for me biggest thing issue is moving a bit left or right this stops you from lifting off.

if you do it right you can see it and see the ship lift high enough to roll.

good to learn cos there are lots of flat areas in the game u can use it on.
    rather than hanging onto your turbo for your favorite spot only to find a bomb there stoping you from doing your usaul trick.

practice by pitching up and down whilst you are not moving to get the timing
    then practice on AP on the straight on venom then work up the speeds and then do difficult tracks..

hope this helps

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

@ kanar, I fully agree that, in general, the stick is better and more refined, and I wish I'd never stopped using it. But I think that d-pad makes difficult barrel rolls on the flat easier to do in the first place. Overall I think it's actually best to practice with both, as they teach us different things, especially regarding pitch.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

@kanar, i think the motion pitch gives you the extra necessary impulse for some boost-br (in addition to the low button of the d-pad or the low position of the stick).
    @jasmin, boost-br on the flat are really easier on slow classes, but it's a good practice to find the good location/timing for use in phantom !

Boost BR on the flat is something I've never mastered/can't do!, and is the fundamental reason why I don't participate in SL or TT challenge.. No point if I can't get off to a flying start.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

Well,the seemingly only Barrel Roll on a "flat" that I can do is in Vineta K Forward,just after the last tunnel(is that part even considered a flat?I think not)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Javariko

That's not exactly flat, no.

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    @kanar, i think the motion pitch gives you the extra necessary impulse for some boost-br (in addition to the low button of the d-pad or the low position of the stick).
    @jasmin, boost-br on the flat are really easier on slow classes, but it's a good practice to find the good location/timing for use in phantom !
    100% agree..im not good enough to do it on phantom yet as im still new to it..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

@Tarquin - I don't really do SL for the same reason - I really suck at boost starts of any variety, even just on the flat. You don't need it for TT though, so if that's the only reason you should give TT a try. I'm sure you'd get some great times in TT.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Quote Originally Posted by TarquinFarqhuar View Post
    Boost BR on the flat is something I've never mastered/can't do!, and is the fundamental reason why I don't participate in SL or TT challenge.. No point if I can't get off to a flying start.
    yo tarquin, I'm not using boost br on the flat myself, afaik. And I'm a speed lap junkie. Using BSB on uber F only, not mastered the other possibilities and tbh competing with other lines. But maybe I'll check more vids one of these days, & learn more samuraï extraordinaire BR spots.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phaeton_pl

There are 24 different Speed Lap phantom records (25 including Syncopia).
    Only 3 of them are done with BSB, and another 3-4 with BoostBR start.

As you can see it's not neccessary to know this technique to be on top of the ranking. Crazy BR's gives you an advantage on lower speed classes but on phantom lines are most important.

So Tarquin/Saturn you guys are great players, you know tracks very well and you have great racing lines. Speed Lap ranking is waiting for you

hi guys, thnx for the kind and inspiring comments..

Good point Sat, never really occurred to me, I wouldn't use Boost BR when doing TT's .. so i really should jump on that, and i will! Cheers!

this is the one of the very few occasions i've managed to pull it off>http://www.youtube.com/user/TarquinF.../2/ITOD5i9cXcw
    but on tracks like Metropia, Talons or even Anulpha Forward, seems so difficult. I think it's easier on tracks that have a slight gradient just at the start, like Uber and as Feisar said, VinK.

@ kanar.BSB is something i never do either. I think I'm pretty good at nailing most of the br spots on each track tho, could do with nailing the landings to complete the job right enough.
    I'm sure most of my BR's actually cost me time. they take me off my line due to bad landings, but their so much fun lol.. So Phaeton has a good point also, having extremely good lines in Phantom speed is paramount!