Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some help on taking a part and reassembling electronics

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

Default need some help on taking a part and reassembling electronics

Is anybody else familiar with taking things apart, looking at them writng down "what's is this and that", and putting the thing back together. :-?

Well I'm a little stumped. On what I am doing.
    One. a Philips CD Player
    Two. A Magnovox VCR/DVD
    Three. A computer, it's monitor, and a couple other things.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Don't open a monitor unless you know what you are doing. It's extremely dangerous.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

yeah I had been fixing, taking a part and assembling electronics since I was kid in fifth grade playing G.I. Joes.

This is my first time working on Computers!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

I don't know if you get what I mean. High voltage isn't something to play with. :-? In fact, if you toched the wrong thing (even with the monitor unplugged) you could easily die.

If I recall correctly, Infoxx used to work as an electrician. He'll probably tell you the same thing.

Dude, don't go breakin somethin ya just bought

PSN ID
    infoxicated

As the man says - it's not worth messing with it - little odds and ends, radios, rc cars, **** like that - yeah - rip it apart.

I took apart my rc R2D2 when I was little to see how he worked. (strangely there wasn't a very small midget inside!)

Monitors are a different ball game, though - full of nasty stuff, not even counting the electrical dangers.

yeah i say leave it be,i used to work in a tv/vid/satelitte repairs store ,we allways had fun with new recruits by chargin up a line out tranny (which was the storage area for ac to dc conversion plus step ups) so in comes 240V @13amps to the high tension 10kv dc 1.5amps,when the guy picked it up and ooops touched the wrong part,blam that huge store of dc would throw them across the room.

the moral here is dont do it,it looks fun untill that point comes when u mess with something that looks harmless but is really a human killer.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

You were crazy? :roll: :-? I just only hope the guys were correctly isolated and all that. If a few Amperes go past your heart you'll taste fibrilation.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon
    Dude, don't go breakin somethin ya just bought
    No! the monitor or computer equipment I am going to be using is nothing new! This is from my first computer a year ago and I still have everything but the CPU.

The monitor, the printer, the keyboard, and the speakers. I'm just going to tinker around, study, see what I can and can not do to it.

See if I could use some of the parts in creating something new and unique.

If I could do the same thing my best friends Kris Keith did for his room.
    He took a Boss speaker system and wired his neon lights and sound equipment to his computer together. And it all worked! And Chris Seegers, Daniel McCall, David Ray, David Goodwin, and Robert Collins they all take computer apart different computers and create something with the parts.

I wan't to see if I can do it. :-?

my friend Mike (different Mike) is really smart with computers, possibly smarter than BaPinney, he builds computers and will try and use any scrap part he can find, i help him with that too (looking for parts). He can fix just about any computer all self taught too. I'm learning from him what components my computer should have etc. Anyways i g2g, working on my Grad Project for school. Cya guys later.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

What people seem to fail to understand is the fact that inside a computer tower you won't have more than 30 Volts, while in a monitor or TV set you can easily have 30.000 Volts which is quite higher and thus quite more dangerous.

My advice is: play as much as you want with microelectronics but be extremely careful with high-power electronics.

I will insist no more.

my friend mike has special tools to do it with. Thanks for the advice though

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

30 volts of electricty against 30,000? :-? :-?

That's a good warning. I'm preparing myself for my AIT class at tech. Automotive Technoligies and Mechanics. And the first thing we have to learn about is the Electrical systems of a vehicle. Which is completely different than what I am doing to now.

Damn, your already in the Pantom class lol, anyway, just becareful and don't hurt your self, i burn my self often on accident in my Food Prep class in school.

ahahaha we used to have those kind of things in Technology class, the things that charges up and when you touch the little pointy part you get a "kiss".

Saw my freind touch it, he was twitching and went "eeeeeeeeeeeeeooo-o-o-o-ooo-h".
    Then he was high on adrealine for the rest of the day.

btw, about the topic of opening a monitor.. dont, I dont have much experience about electronics more than messing with my computer, and even then Im really cautious, but I do got a fair deal of life experience.. and humans are more fragile than most think, dont try any hazardous stuff withouth experience.

Default they both bite

how do you get experience without experiencing?
    of course you could always get experience of a sort through instruction from someone who's already done it, which works fine for some things, but can't be applied as a general rule unless you're satisfied to never get civilisation past the food-gathering-with-bare-hands stage. sOmebody's got to try something new sometime. but sticking your hand in a monitor, or a monitor lizard, without some knowledge of what you're getting into would be stupid, since the knowledge is there for the taking

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

If you know what you are doing!

That's were I think experience comes from. You know how to do this and that, put this together and describe this.

Most electronic things. I have experiece on working and fixing. Back when I was starting to mess around with thing around when I was 5. Now after the years of doing thing so much. Tinkering, Looking inside different things, knowing what is and what is not. I have some, little but not a lot of experience. I didn't take a lot of class in school on electronics or technology, but I still what I was doing right or wrong. And could understand the material....But never have I worked on something with such how voltage.

There is a first time for everything...Right?

First time for everything?

That maybe so but it does not mean stick your hands into monitors very dangerous: as so many have pointed out allready ..Even trained folk get it wrong as i've experienced .

I was a Jet washer engineer when i graduated from school it was my first job ..Anyways my co worker was showing me how to do a live motor test to see if the thing was usable.
    he went on about this and that then he turns round and says whatever you do don't touch this particular part of the motor when it is running you will get a very nasty shock.
    Ten minutes later this guy (who had been working on these things for over 10 years touches the very part he told me not to touch..

to cut a long story short the guy was hospitalized for over a week..

So if an experienced guy can get hurt then that would pretty much tell me not to go near things i know absolutley nothing about ..

sorry if i sound like im lecturing you or patronizing you .i don't mean it in that way

But what ever is wrong with the monitor if it works but nothing comes up on the screen the best thing to do is chuck it out

It will cost just as much as a new monitor to get new guns installed into it which is pretty pointless

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

Your instructor who had been doing his job for 10 years or more. Probably accidently touched it.

Accidents do happen!
    Even to the best of people.

The monitor is in perfect condition. It just hasn't been used in a year and couple months.

I love messin with electronics as long as i know what i'm doing. Which of course half the time i don't and i cut my self or something.