Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wipeout HD Preview Edition

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

You can't just burn and play it, not even with a jailbreaked PS3. It has already been tested and failed. You´ll need a PS3 with debug firmware to be able to do anything at all with these pkg-files. On the other hand, I don't know if they can be converted somehow to something functional for those with custom firmware. Possibly. Correct that there is no copy protection. The press kit disc can be copied with no problem.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

With the PS4 making its big marketing push, and Studio Liverpool long having shut down, I do hope that now is the time for people with the preview edition to be more open talking about it with interested people. I understand that legally those who were sent the preview edition are likely under obligation not to distribute, makes copies, or resell it, but morally we must recognize the importance to protect such artwork from oblivion or from being forgotten.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

What is a PKG file?

Quote:Files that contain the .pkg file extension are most commonly used by the Apple OS X operating system. The Apple PKG files usually contain installer scripts that are used by a variety of Mac programs for software installation purposes. The PKG files contain compressed installer files that are used to install Mac software applications onto a user's hard drive.

Oftentimes PKG files will also be used to update NeXT installer packages. The PKG file format was developed to help software designers create uniform installer applications. This file format allows for the seamless and easy installation of software applications and software updates.

WINRar, VLC Media Player, and Daemon Tools are all able to open and convert these files into another format.
    http://file.org/extension/pkg#

If you can get anything other than a PS3 to read the disc you might be in with a chance.
    OR
    If you have a PS3 that CAN read it, just find a way to output the files to a PC ..... much in the same way as you can RIP SACD Discs into streamed files that are able to be transferred to a HD, using a Fat PS3.
    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f1...part-2-a-7495/
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 26th May 2013 at 01:06 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    UnleashSonic

No progress on this front I'm guessing? I'm still very interested in this beautiful preview build!

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

I had the preview edition but not anymore... what I do have though is extra rare - the original 1995 wipEout record bag with embroidered psn and wipEout logo's on it - it's ace and I've only ever used it once - when I went to yeldar2097's place last month.

Barring that, it sits in my wardrobe, in its special pride of place

so happy about that!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

My Preview edition is a disc that is printed "Preview March 2008" and it contains 4 tracks and the original zone mode. It is a Blu-ray and it contains a single pkg-file and is only playable with debug software. Did you have the same preview terra-wrists, or did you have another version?
    I might consider releasing it digitally but I have to think about that, and I don't know how many people actually has debug software anyway. The disc was very expensive so I will hold on to that one for now. It is my favourite object in my Wipeout collection.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Yes. Same one. I beleive they were all the same. Did u forget to mention the funky looking usb card? I remember xtrikp wanted the pkg file so I sent it to him. It turned out all the pkg files were exactly the same. He had a press kit too u see.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

The USB card was a part of the press kit. I have that one also. The press kit disc contains 2 pkg-files. One is 997 MB and one is 100 kB. That version is Wipeout HD v1.00 and it doesn't have the original zone mode, it has 12 ships and 16 tracks. My Preview disc contains one pkg-file that is 845 MB. That is the version I'm talking about. 4 tracks, 8 ships and original zone mode.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Ah, well that's news to me. I don't remember what was on it, since I couldn't even play it on my PS3 when I got it (bluray player is temperamental at the best of times - my fault, I attempted to clean the innards of the PS3 and lost a fiddly bit in the process, and ever since haven't been able use the Bd on it)

The only time I loaded it up was on my laptop becuase Xtriko asked me so nicely if I could send him the pkg file or something.... was years ago. Sorry bud, can't be of much help i'm afraid.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

you caneasily copy such a disc you know, it's just 0s and 1s, including copyright and hidden do not copy me data, just need the right tools to do so, would love to archive it on mydesktop (been archiving a lot of wipeout things since sl got shut down)

as for pkg files, not only are they used for os x installer packages, they re also an old format of the unreal 3 engine, containing anything from simple 2d textures up to skeletal meshhes & animations as well as sound, all ompressed
    but i do think it's more likely to be an installer as game pkgs are usually split up so they don't all have to be loaded into memory (thus 1big pkg would use up all system memory), still, one can dive into those pkgs with a hex editor (been there, done that, seen it ^^)

although i would rather simply enjoy seeing this preview build

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

I wonder, is the version in this video the Prieview Edition?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

Yes, it is.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Ooooooh!!
    I love the equalisers on the billboards and start/finnish line! :O
    Ah man they shoulda kept that, so awesome!
    Don't really see how that one failed the epilepsy test but the current one doesn't though, it's not THAT much different :/

Thx for the post Ace3000

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Ruuku___ (three underscores)

I honestly think the current one is harder to look at.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Ooooooh!!
    I love the equalisers on the billboards and start/finnish line! :O
    Ah man they shoulda kept that, so awesome!
    Don't really see how that one failed the epilepsy test but the current one doesn't though, it's not THAT much different :/

Thx for the post Ace3000

Cipher
    No problem! I was just curious as to what elements of the first zone mode were changed for the final retail version. Then I found that video. Honestly, I too think it looks awesome!

Timezone
    GMT -6

Arrow

I wish I could hack my copy of 2048 to use that version of Zone Mode for the HD and Fury stuff. Of course, using the added sound effects and computer voice from the retail version's Zone Mode.

Speaking of hacking extra content into Vita games, which would sadly be impossible... I actually encountered a successful Syncopia Glitch lobby through crossplay a few days ago. I wanted to play it, but every time the track started loading the game would crash, which means the files needed to perform the Syncopia Glitch are absent from 2048's Fury DLC.

...I also wish I could increase the maximum framerate from 30 to 60. Even watching that video on my phone, it looked much smoother than playing on my Vita.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    UnleashSonic

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by terra-wrists View Post
    I had the preview edition but not anymore... what I do have though is extra rare - the original 1995 wipEout record bag with embroidered psn and wipEout logo's on it - it's ace and I've only ever used it once - when I went to yeldar2097's place last month.

Barring that, it sits in my wardrobe, in its special pride of place

so happy about that!
    So what happened to the preview edition terra? And what do you mean by '1995 wipEout record bag'?

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

i sold the preview ed, on ebay, but couldnt part with the bag... that bag is wipeout heritage I took a pic on my mobile, and tried to attach it but my phone is giving me a low memory error... will try again later.

edit: 20140721_173108.jpg
    Last edited by terra-wrists; 21st July 2014 at 10:13 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

^GIMME! GIMME NOAAWWWW!!!!
    Hehe, awesome stuff Mosj! Never get rid of that!

@Ace i'm glad i changed the voice and some of the sound FX though, they are a bit lame in that vid But yeah the overall visuals are really nice

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    UnleashSonic

Quote Originally Posted by terra-wrists View Post
    i sold the preview ed, on ebay, but couldnt part with the bag... that bag is wipeout heritage I took a pic on my mobile, and tried to attach it but my phone is giving me a low memory error... will try again later.

edit: 20140721_173108.jpg

Wow, very nice! Where'd you score that?