Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parts that still cause you trouble?

PSN ID
    pildog

Default Parts that still cause you trouble?

Hi, are there any parts of particular tracks that still cause you trouble, however many times you practice on it?

I always have a problem with the "bridge" in Anulpha Pass. I'm always falling off it, which automatically means coming last.

Also the "wibbly" bit of track on Sebenco Climb, just before the start line, keep crashing into the walls.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Ah, yes, the Anulpha Pass skillcut!
    A gleaming track, mostly because of that unique feature. Finally, a built-in (intended!) shortcut with obvious hazard.
    Practice it via TT/speedlap on Venom. Or Zone! 8 )
    Once you've got it mastered at Venom, crank it up to Flash. Then Rapier. Finally, you're ready to tackle it at Phantom!
    Same way you learn any track, the difficult parts are just the most challenging sections to learn.

The chicane near the end of Sebenco Climb? You can shoot right through the middle of it if you line it up coming out of the pit. Or do you mean the final two turns after the chicane before the start line? Hard airbrake right to start it, then a bit of turn left to line up your final run.

Download a nice ghost and watch them run it, you'll learn lots!

I very much agree with Task. Practice is the key, and sometimes you really have to analyse your line and come up with a better way, then just practice it.

One part I feel I many never "beat" though: the S bend under the cat on Ubermall Forward. I`m the slowest person on the internet through there. I even watched Mad-Ice`s video, studied it, and am only slightly better. I could do it ok in Pure, but in HD I`ve only nailed it satisfyingly about three times.

Timezone
    GMT + 8

I'm still having huge trouble with ziko. I would've done close to 1000 laps and the closest i've got was 21.02. That stuff is brutal, i think this is far and away the hardest videogame challenge i've ever attempted. if it wasn't wipeout i wouldn't bother. i think my fingers are just too old to reliably pull off the barrel rolls. I've tried totally remapping the controls like so:

r2: accelerate
    x: right airbrake
    []: left airbrake
    0: use turbo

and using dpad left and right for turning/barrel rolls and tilt for pitch. I can pull off the rolls pretty reliably like that without compromising the rest of my control (i mean i wouldn't want to play zone with that config but the airb's aren't too important for the ziko challenge)

if anybody has any tips aside from the youtube vids and the stuff in the trophy thread then please let me know, this thing is killing me.

EDIT: sorry I reread the first post and realised that the thread is specifically about parts of *tracks*, not parts of the game in general. apologies.
    Last edited by trk_rkd; 23rd November 2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: misread first post

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

pildog, for anulpha, try to do the left turn from inside to outside. try to not go wide while jumping to the narrow brigde. if you go out side, the ship tends to go high. if you go like i said, its really smooth. this is exacly the oposite technique for beating zico. since you have to go high to do the barrel roll. while in the narrow bridge, try to steer the less possible. if you oversteer you'll probably fall.
    for sebenco, try to pitch up a little on the chicane. the ship will go a little high but is a good way to avoid crashing pinball style hope that this can help you.

PS. trk rkd, when i beated zico, my 2nd best lap was 21.19 and out of nowhere i got 20.79 perfect lap. can you describe how are you doing your laps?

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

You mean 31.02 right?

On several of the reverse tracks, some of the corners seem ilogical... I know, thats an ilogical sentence alltogether, but I can't make the switch on some of them. For example, on Chenghou reverse - coming into the tunnel, thats a sligthly blind corner, and I can't seem to get it right. Also on Sol2 reverse, right at the beggining, the hard left-right-left is one of the wierdest corners I ever seen. I just can't seem to make them right, it just doesn't seem right...

This game is wierd...

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

LOL yes !!!! XD sorry
    for sol2 try to do some side shifts it works for me

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

that ****ing turn on chenghou...you know what...damn

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

The last chicane in Ubermall, Chengou's hard left hander right before the ramp and the entire track of Sol2 reverse. I used to hate Sebenco Climb but I've spent a lot of time on it and now it's one of my favorites.

PSN ID
    Wellington86

Yeah I agree, the hairpin on Chenghou forward is always a problem. I can do it cleanly but I often fail to, and sometimes when I am doing it cleanly I get ploughed into by someone not bothering to slow down for it.

Other than that there's the last part of Ubermall, as Lunar mentioned, which I can do much more frequently than the Chenghou hairpin but still isn't 100%, and the sharp right turn after the totally blind left turn on Metropia reverse fails at least once a race.

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

Chengou requires a bit of "un-learning" compared to other courses. Wherein turning exactly as you're turning with the corner on most tracks, Chengou requires you to turn early. This applies to both directions as far as I've found. The famous 130 degree corner being a prime example. Turn too early and you'll hit the corner, turn too late you end up in the wall. I can't do it consistently with all ships, but it can be done with all of them. Sideshifting is also extemely important too.

Hope that helps a little.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I have a hard time going around most of the turns on Chenghou Project. The second turn on the forward track is a nuisance and I usually take my thumb of the accelerator or slow down a bit before, then taking the outside of the track to the inside. The really long turn after the two ramps is another pain and I usually end up over the wall on the slope or going around tightly and going a bit too high.

Other than Chenghou project I'm O.K-ish on most turns. Metropia reverse's blind corner is hard but taking the outside makes it a bit easier. The last corner of Übermall forward, the zig zag section, can catch me off, the section before the hill on reverse usually makes me go off the edge >.<.

I would like to know a more consistent way of pulling the last huge leap on Moa Therma, the one which skips almost all the starting straight. Or is that cheating? I'd like to know a more professional opinion.

PSN ID
    pildog

Thanks for the suggestions, but the problem I have with this game (as with most online games) is keeping my skill-level consistent. Just this afternoon I did a few games, and in the first I was fine, in the second I was all over the place and hitting every wall, even though it was one of my favourite tracks. I need more practice.

By the way has anyone a favourite route on the split in the track in Ubermall? I usually take left, there really doesn't seem to be much benefit to either route.

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

I do. I always go to the right. Right on the forward and right on backward.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Quote Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post
    The last chicane in Ubermall, Chengou's hard left hander right before the ramp and the entire track of Sol2 reverse. I used to hate Sebenco Climb but I've spent a lot of time on it and now it's one of my favorites.
    i used to hate sol2 reverse, but evertually things click.
    suss out the right line for the 2 nasty twirly left handers, and hit a barrel roll off the speed pad on the right hander before the last corner and your times will quickly tumble.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Quote Originally Posted by xtriko View Post
    pildog, for anulpha, try to do the left turn from inside to outside. try to not go wide while jumping to the narrow brigde
    If you're alone that's a good way, but when there are other ships nearby, you might collide one that wants to go left ... so you also need to practice the landing on the bridge from the right.
    Personally I fell many times online on that bridge while trying to land on it with a barrel roll.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

I always go left on Ubermall regardless of direction. It freaks me out because a couple of times I've had Auto Pilot and it'll go right. At least every time I've had one and used it there. I'll hit it and when it takes the right side I get an uneasy feeling

Timezone
    GMT + 8

@Heavy Metal: yes, 31.02, not 21.02, sorry. I'd be very happy with 21.02, although I suspect it would arouse some suspicion on the boards.

@Xtriko: I'm basically just doing the method people have used on the youtube videos. I've pulled off the triple barrel roll once or twice but that's it, I think when I do beat zico it'll just be with the double.

Anyway, I begin a record by boosting just before the line. I go over the very first speed pad just after the line (I experimented a bit with this one, I know some people suggested that going over this pad actually drains some of the momentum of the initial boost but after comparing with my ghost it seems like this helps you - if anyone has evidence to the contrary I'm an eager student, please share). Then I go over all the boost pads through the corner, using sideshift to go over the leftmost one and sideshifting left again when I go over the farthest (rightmost) boost pad to avoid smashing into the wall (using airbrakes would slow me down, natch). I tilt the controller back to pitch up and use my boost in the centre-right of the track, level the controller as I hit the top of the hill, boost again as I go over, land just before the centre boost pad in the narrow section at the base of the hill. Then I stick to the left of the track, sideshift rightwards to grab the speed pad there, fly across the centre of the track to the left side (actually quicker than sideshifting because the track follows a lazy "s" there, ie. the shortest path naturally takes you from the right to the left side of the track). Then sideshift round the corner with the "v" of three pads, nailing two of them. Stay fairly close to the left of the track, sideshift up to the right, *hopefully* BR up on to the narrow strip, go over all the pads on finally sideshift left of the bridge, BRing and landing on top of the rightmost speed pad before flying across the line for a record zico-beating time. Oh wait, no I don't.

The thing I notice is that my thumb really does get tired pretty quickly from the BR motions (i've tried both stick and d-pad). I'm pretty fit, I walk a lot and go to the gym two or three times a week, but, well, none of that really works the thumb muscles all that much (Odd that!). Maybe the BR pros like Flashback Jack have some sort of exercise regime for their digits (erm...). I find that after 50 laps or so my thumb is so tired that not only do I have trouble with the jump ON to the bridge, even the little one off it is causing me trouble.

Maybe I just need practice. I thought zone zeus was pretty tough at first but now I get in to the high 70s/ low 80s every time, although my scores are till pretty low because I don't concentrate much at the beginning (on the leaderboards I think I'm far and away the lowest score to have reached zone 81). Thing is I liked practising for zone zeus: it was fun, I mean I've still been trying to beat my old score from time to time (usually only after a couple of beers, which doesn't help). But once I get zico done I'm never racing piranha or vector again... it's not just that it's difficult, it's not a *fun* challenge either (IMHO). I know there are guys like flashback jack who can pull them off easily but I'm definitely more in the elhabib camp, I find that when I do pull them off (in tricky places at least) it's more fluke than skill, and as a result when I nail a lap record using heavy use of BR there is more a sense of relief or a feeling lucky than there is of genuine reward. Just my two cents. But yeah, any more tips with zico and I'd be very happy. How do you guys barrel roll anyway? Dpad or stick? Cheers.
    Last edited by trk_rkd; 24th November 2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Had to change word "phantom" to "piranha". Oops!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I have a problem with Sebenco reverse on entering the tunnel,it's not making the corner it's getting the line correct to hit those three speed pads .
    Ubermall reverse,well some days I can nail it and others it's like I've never raced that track at all,don't know what my problem with that is.

As for you guys having problems with ubermalls last right,I found that just after hitting the three speed pads, aim for where you know the gap is but can't see and side right side shift till that gap is visible,when your half a craft length through that right, hit left air brake and hold for a moment,that will swing you around the left,then side shift right and that will straighten you up for the finish line.

For chenghou's left or right in reverse,I used to have problems with that until I saw mad ice's latest video's.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xhzhPlqw-A

Have a look what he does on the reverse track just after the second mag strip to take the right hander.
    He goes to the right,starts going left at where the shadow falls across the track,then turns to go around that right hand turn.
    This flattens out the corner and makes it a LOT easier to make.

The same thing applies to most corners like that through the game.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    trentdf

@ trk rkd: theres another spot to barrel roll- instead of hitting that line of 3 speed pads, boost just before and get air off the little kink (you have to pull up). barrel roll while in the air, and land before that hill bit (where i interpreted that you use your boost). that should get you enough air to do another one, landing near the speed pad on that narrow bit. i initially started trying to hit the 3 sp's thinking it would make up for the loss of a barrel roll, but BRing is faster.

- Sol 2 reverse: no matter how many laps i do that left right left (or isit right left right?) ALWAYS kills me. i just can't figure it out. Also that inverse camber left hander in chengou in phantom- at least once a race i'll end up in the stands (i wonder why people don't sit there? )
    Last edited by trentdf; 24th November 2008 at 03:45 AM.