Thread: New gear got Fusion running at 1080p & 3D!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Default New gear got Fusion running at 1080p & 3D!

I bought two new pieces of gear, the first a Yamaha RX-v1071 surround amp, basically because it has two HDMI outputs, so one can run to my projector and the other can run to the new Sony 46" 3D TV.

Previously everything was hooked up with various adaptors and switches as things got added over the years, now there are a LOT less cables, and everything can be switched with the amp, even just turning it on I can have it switch the TV & PS3 on automatically, cool.

Anyway, I was reading the manual and saw that the amp had video upscaling for any connection that is not HDMI, so I hooked out the old PS2 via component cable [Thought I might as well give it the best signal I could] and optical audio out into the amp.
    WOW! Fusion upscaled to 1080p really well, apart from the drawing in of the far back distance as you play, it looks as smooth as HD, but obviously not as detailed.

In for a Penny, in for a Pound......Mmmm...I wonder what the 2D to 3D video processing of the Sony TV can do with this signal.

Pretty darn good is the answer, sure it's not as a pronounced 3D effect as HD is, but then again, it doesn't suffer the horrible ghosting HD does either [I wish SL had put in a tune-able 3D control in HD, like Uncharted 3 has, so you can turn 3D effect down]
    Bright, outside tracks like Florion Hights and Tamtesh [?] look and play amazingly well via this setup, it's like getting a new Wipeout.
    Which is just as well, as I had a look at the only memory card I could find with a Fusion save on it and it says only 46% game completion.....I think this game might finally get finished.

Sadly I have to report that trying to do the same sort of thing with both WO 2097 & WO3SE is pretty much a waste of time, even with trying lots of different video scaling/ smoothing effect configurations, the fact is these older game are just to pixelated and blocky to do anything with.
    I guess back when they were new, the limitations of the best video output at the time [SVHS] hid much of this, so we didn't notice it, but play these games on a modern LED/LCD and all is revealed.

Anyway, just thought I'd report what I found, worth a try if you have similar gear.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

You’re absolutely right, WipEout Fusion looks beautiful in HD, played it with an Emulator in true HD (no upscaling) and it really feels like a different game.

Same goes for the PS1-WipEouts: You can easily – and I mean really easily – run them with emulators like ePSXe in true HD, even with computers that aren’t current-gen. That may work with the 3D effect. Good luck