Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am a total idiot

PSN ID
    gordo31874

Default I am a total idiot

So, after a while off HD due to work, I pick up it again and decide to make a real run at transedance (only zico and four medal on elite campaign left). I try Chenghou at phantom a few times, with the usual "Christ this is manic".
    Anyway, 10 attempts in, i come through the last chicane in first place. I catch it out of the corner of my eye, but block it out completely. "This is a time to focus" I say to myself.
    I hold it together through the hairpin, but get rocketed going up the slope.
    I manage to regain first with some fancy side shifting (Thanks Saturn and Yeldar for the vids) through the right left and cross the line in First.

Queue me jumping up shouting
    "F**king get in, you beauty etc etc". and throw the controller down on the floor, really really pleased with myself.

Only to hear the tele say to me
    "final lap"

I still had a lap left.

"Damn"

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Hehe, we've all been there. I've done that several times in online races. Sometimes 4 laps online is already too much.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Lawlz - I've done that COUNTLESS times in online races. I drop the controller to run and have a piss, only to come back to disappointment.

And this wasn't during extended races - these were "normal" 3, 4 or 5 lap races...

PSN ID
    stin_wz

LOL!, we are on the same boat!

Seriously I had done that, thinking great finishing line and suddenly, music still keep going and I said to myself....."Oh ****!"

stevie

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@gordo1974: There is a slight enhanced version of the experience you have
    made. Happens online at times. xD

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

I am also ehrm *cough* a culprit to this crime. >_>

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

I'm more likely to be guilty of the opposite (holding on to a boost or weapon across the finish line thinking I have another lap left).

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

I must be the biggest idiot here then, coz I'm guilty of both... no wonder I never finish first

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    ElSuperNova

Haha, Im pretty sure everyone's done this before, in some form or another.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Damn, ive done this myself a few times online, particularly during Avalon. Holding onto first place with a hair strand length, gunning it through the finish grid then the drop the controller out of pure exhaustion, only the hear the pommy chick say final lap.

.......then quickly thumbling around to get the controller back in my hands, but it doesnt matter by the time i do. Followed by a bunch of hardcore swearing. All that effort wasted!

PSN ID
    someguy789

I did that on the same race once
    I'm used to racing on rapeier so whenever I go on phantom I think lap 4's the final one...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I've done this a number of times as well, including online. Usually I just put the controller down for a second before realising something is amiss, and I'm able to still put in a fight for the rest of the race

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

lol same. Online its worse because your rep is at stake.

Put down the controller, the look up at the screen....... micro second pause then followed by a milestone moment including the word ****! then grabbing a hold of the controller as quick as you can. Surprisingly i have come back on a win in a few situations like this, when the weapon pads gives you all the ammunition to claim back the spot that was rightfully yours

PSN ID
    MiguelX69

Ouch, that went bad... It happens to all of us. But remember, wipeout is a sticky game, if you can do it once, you can do it forever!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Vilael

ROFL. Been there, done that.

I don't have much time to play, sometimes I squeeze in time when my mind is really on something else I'm doing.

"This is gunna take a bit to compile, I've got time for a few laps".

Then I cross the finish line and as I'm preparing to get back to whatever it was I was doing, I hear "Final lap".

I had wondered if it was just me that did that!
    Last edited by Vilael; 23rd May 2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Somehow managed to misspell "on"

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

i think we all have crossed that road. and even more so after the feature that lets you decide the amount of laps online. ao many time have i dropped the controller down after the 4th lap of a flash race... just to realize it has been bumped up to 5 laps lol.
    but even before this i used to **** up at phantom as well

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Back on the original PlayStation, my mate and I would always race against each other in Gran Turismo over 3 laps. I won a high percentage of the time, and would pull on the hand brake as I crossed the finish line and pull a 180 to celebrate. This drove him mad, which only made me do it all the more.

He got better at it over time, but there was one circuit he could never beat me on - the High Speed Ring, so one time he sat for an entire day just learning that track until he was perfect at it, then invited me round later that night.

Luring me into his trap, he set up a race at the High Speed Ring and, sure enough, he was several car lengths ahead of me after the first lap. Try as I might I couldn't reel him in, getting all out of shape and losing more time to him by putting two wheels on the grass at one point.

As he came up to the finish line on lap two he slammed on the hand brake and pulled a 180, raising his fist in victory as I roared by on screen. This was the moment he realised that all his practice races had been the default 2 laps and this was a 3 lap race. "OH NO!" he squealed, trying to get his car pointed back the right way.

It was no use him trying - even through the tears of laughter I was miles ahead and still the king of the High Speed Ring!

Such was his humiliation that since then I don't think I've made the same mistake myself.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

LOL Rob, that was an excellent example and hella funny

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

@rob: about GT games i always use that handbrake 180 finish myself, never actually did a lap early but plenty times have i ended up maybe a foot too short of the finishline standing there for some secs before realizing the timer is still running lol. usually nothing a quick reverse cant fix but still humiliating

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Vilael

OMG, that story is hilarious. I'd love to have been watching that one.

Reminds me of a friend of mine when I was living in Vegas (and much younger). He was 10 years younger than me, and his mode of transportation was a moped. (starving college student and all).

Anyway one night he was coming over to my home and when he walked in he was busting up laughing.. it took me a while to get the story out of him.

Anyway, it was late, and dark... and he's sitting alone at the red stop light on his moped (on West Sahara)... and this guy pulls up next to him on a motorcycle with this hot babe riding behind him.

He looks over at the guy, and revs his little moped engine a few times... the guy and his GF laugh and he starts revving his engine...

The light turns green, the race is on! ...and the motorcycle is gone in the blink of an eye, of course... but, not to fear.. just barely up the road, he had run out of gas.

My friend passed by him and his embarrassed female rider as they're on the side the road, pedaling his moped like a madman and laughing maniacally as he passed!

It was just entirely too funny.