Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever get carried away...

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

New story y'all:

Playing fury on Elite difficulty Moa Therma, sitting 1st but...
    ...suddenly Pirahna is on my tail hits me with a quake before last corner(still 1st atm) then gets ANOTHER quake beats me by -0.01 Seconds

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Neighbour knocks up i get angrier and go on a rage for some pepsi xD

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IDReaper

Yes, but it takes quite a lot for me to get to that point and by then I am no longer thinking about placing, full agro/revenge mode on =D. Usually my badges will either be fastest top speed or most accurate(cannons ). I've gone into rage mode when that most accurate badge becomes a destroyer badge lol. Otherwise I like to absorb/shield all the time with the occasional turbo.

I'm sure I give more rage than I receive though. I'm as cheap as possible with the weapons in this game and I'll admit that openly.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    haiku_

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    Using bombs with a 3-4 second lead? Really? Really? Pff...
    Pathetic as it is, I do this. I'm so insecure and jittery when I get a good lead in a strong race that I know my nerves will cause me to eat some turn or or fly off the bridge in Chenghou Project. When I score a lead like that, I will leave every bomb and mine I can get.

One day I'll be able to keep my cool in a lead and absorb, but I play some of you WOZ pilots online and you monsters will eat every millisecond you can to catch up if you fall behind.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Yah, I'm pretty much the same way...I get so nervous with a lead that I need all the help I can get to maintain it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

WOHD may be the only game that doesn't make me go mental.
    Because in this type of game the best player wins.
    Sure there r moments where you are out of luck, but in Wipeout HD there is no "camp", "spam", "glitch"( well I haven't seen any really bad thing yet...) or "abuse of whatever". And it is a very punishing game by nature, and I the first things I see are my own mistakes.

Sometimes I'll act like "oh this is ****d up, I take a piss" leaving my ship on the track

I wud just have liked to see a ghost option

i got carried away in my last tornament..

first race i was in the lead cruising along then suddenly i star getting shot at with rockets quakes and al sorts of nasty things and eventually i got blown off the track..i caught up and on last bend and used aturbo and beat them with like a hundredth of a second..Every race afterwards was fought with tooth and nail with leaders changing throughout the race they won a race i won a race it ended with final race with one point between first and second and the whole tornament was decided on a rocket blast on the final stretch..

we both got carried away and it was a battle of wills we both pulled every trick in the book to beat each other...

held nothing back...

it was really fun and enjoyable..i hope he liked it as much as me.

but we both definatley got carried away..

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    Using bombs with a 3-4 second lead? Really? Really? Pff...
    If I'm in front, and you're in the same race - I'm dropping everything I can mate... HD is a nice title, yes - BUT THIS IS FURY, get with it, or die trying is what I say...
    SO yeah, guilty of this myself. I love to Cannon someone to a standstill personally. But hey, If I got a bomb, or mines and I'm seconds ahead - damn straight, in the words of Snoop Doggy Doggy - "DROP IT LIKE ITS HOT"

OH, and if i'm like 10 secs ahead, and got rockets... I'm TURNIING AROUND TO SHOOT YA HEAD ON!

Besides, the badges are quite collectible, you know

ACE-FURY-FLO

Timezone
    GMT -5

Well, I can enjoy the game, even if I'm not in first...

Just getting better and getting the badges are good enough for me!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Therein lies the problem. It wasn't always Fury. There weren't always so many bombs and mines everywhere, or weapons in general. Phrases to describe those kind of races came up because it happened sometimes, but wasn't the norm, and now it is. I think too many these days are relying on these kinds of 'tactics' which embrace those aspects of the game, which I consider slightly broken in that sense since Fury (or more likely the update just before, if memory serves).

It's not only the game itself, we're all better at it and closer in terms of skill these days, which means more weapons in a tighter space. But surely the reason we play online is to test ourselves against each other. Shouldn't it be more about a furious race based on a passion for speed and skill? Where's the test in going to such extremes that you drop all the arse litter you can just to maintain a deficit which only prevents us racing each other in the first place? All it does is make each other furious and drives people away from the online game. I can think of quite a few who don't play online any more, simply because they got fed up with those kinds of races. Some people don't realise it, but it's true, and I for one think that many are getting a bit carried away too frequently. Is it really so important to win that we degrade the racing element so far and ruin others' enjoyment of the game? I say enjoyment, because it's not the losing the race that does my head in, it's the constant loss of momentum in a game which is, in my opinion, supposed to be largely about speed. If not, then why race at Phantom in the first place?

To anyone who is thinking of telling me to bugger off and play a different game if I don't like the way it is, I say this:
    I could go and play a different game. I could host less popular weapons off races where half the field, particularly newer pilots, leave the game as soon as they realise. I could create private games and race like minded people who feel the same way about the weapons situation (as a lot of folk are already doing). But is that really going to help maintain an already waning online community? In a word - NO.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

It's funny you should say that, I wrote exactly the same thing as you. Word for word. Word

Ok I didn't but it's what I would have said if I had the mental capacity to convert whatever it is that I'm thinking into words...

Very well put Mister S, very well put indeed

+1000,000

Timezone
    GMT -5

Indeed the community is more aggressive, but again, it essence, Speed will prevail and a good racer can Dodge most weapons (Quake is still THAT exception). But for the most part, I race, I Battle, I love to Zone (My specialty!), and for the most part, I enjoy it.

So, I can't say, bugger off or P*** off (UK and US) or anything else negative. Broken, maybe, but in perspective, you can only get mad at yourself for losing if you let it consume you. Getting carried away, always, but be glad to play and if you don't like it, there is always offline mode.

You want to continue online, get a few friends and host. I prefer public until I get some more friends!

Nuff Said.

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Well put SR. I understand what you are saying totally. But don't totally agree, thouigh I can appreciate what you are saying.

For me, WipEout racing has been a bit of a different experience. See, I got Pulse in December 2008, already a year too late - and online all I ever experienced was cambodia type races... worse even, especially the early days, when pilots like Infaxsu and Phurawsity would back quake me... YES - they turn their ship around and fire a quake down the track. I used to come like 10+ seconds behing in n a race, sometimes getting the DNF coz I couldn't finish. Already, those who played Pulse since release, were dropping mines and bombs althuogh they were blatantly half a lap ahead... I learnt through this school of hard knocks, and became a bloody good pilot I think. This was my WipEout education against other REAL pilots. Ask MSSA today what he thinks of weps ON races in Pulse, and he'll still say the same thing - "weps off rules" and I know what he means, it's real racing without the combat...

For me though, I've known nothing else but full on combat racing - all I ever did in my first two months of online Pulse was DNF and come last. Seriously. But I stuck with it, and thought - if they can do it, I can do it. Damn straight I could. Yeah, initially I hated not being skilled enough to dodge well placed mines, ort anticipating a bomb drop from someone ahead of me by a fraction of a second - while tryiing to maintain my lines - I learnt all this online in Pulse... and started to feel likie I had arrived. And I bloody well had, too!

Anyway, come Sept. I CFW my PSP and it hasn't worked since, totally effed. SO I got a PS3 and HDFury on Bluray Disc. This, in October 2009. So, Again, I come to the party late and am once again a noob. And what I discover abnout pilot mentalities regarding weps is shocking to me. The seasones pilots of HD since its release have a massive pet hate for FURY. This I find annoying. I go online and all peeps wanna do is host the same damn HD tracks over and over - and they wanna complain about weps and cambodia. WTF? I'm bloody well pleased that the PSN update for wipEout allowed for heavier weps deployment, leading to Cambodia online - I'm used to cambodia now, have been living there since Pulse so it's my comfort zone. Am I the only one here who likes heavy weps races? I'm not talking ELIMINATOR - that is not my discipline - I am talking racing to win (if it is possible) and blowing up anyone who tries to beat me.

I aint gonna lie and say, yeah - I'm happy to come last - for me, after 100's of hours spent on pulse on and HDFury combined, over the past 14 months or so - I want to win some races in a hosted session. This game is competitive, probably the hardest racing game to master because of the nature of weapons integration into hi-speed gravity defying tracks.

I'm nowhere near as good as you guys, I don't practice offline - haven't even completed the grids yet - not even half way through - don't feel I want to either... time constraints only allow for me to fulfil my need to race online with my Zoner buddies.

I had no idea what Pre-Fury HD was ike, so to me HD-FURY is the standard, not a fragmented game which came in two parts. Or a game which is frustratingly despised bacause of the heavy weps races due to a update for the game, When I got the game - it was already full on FURY with weps carnage ...

Also, with regard to dropping mines and bombs when pilots are seconds ahead - | have no problem with that, and see it as fair play. SOmetimes I am lucky with weps pick ups, other times - it's others... and that's the nature of Fury imo. AS for lapped noobsbombing and mining me if I am 1st, is cool too - I try and anticipate that and adjust accordingly should they "drop it like it's hot" - for me, 1st place is still a dangerous place to be in this game - YES - and that's what makes this game so intense and exciting... for me this is the essence of FURY, and I love SL's vision, and update because of it!

Had the game 5 months now, and though I love the game to bits, I don't like some of the attitudes which zoners have towards weps on races - to me it seems almost hypocritical at times. E.g - someone is hosting weps on races, and complaining in PSN message that it was cambodia and they hate weps races with a passion - yet, they carry on hosting Weps on races wtf? I stay in that room and try and take full advantage of that. That's me. And I aint no uber faast pilot either, just someone who is along for the ride, and wnats to enjoy himself while he is there to race - no matter what happpens on track.

Peace to all
    Last edited by ACE-FLO; 7th March 2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: missed something

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    All it does is make each other furious and drives people away from the online game. I can think of quite a few who don't play online any more, simply because they got fed up with those kinds of races. Some people don't realise it, but it's true, and I for one think that many are getting a bit carried away too frequently. Is it really so important to win that we degrade the racing element so far and ruin others' enjoyment of the game?
    True, it drove me away from WOHD before I even bought it (which I haven't).
    The thing is, if the weapons are there, you've got to use them - it's just the game. It's not that I hate weapons being there, and I appreciate the tactical side of them, it's just that they're so ridiculously overpowered that they ruin practically every race. So I'd rather not play. If I ever get a PS3, I'll be mostly a TT/SL player on HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by ACE-FLO View Post
    Ask MSSA today what he thinks of weps ON races in Pulse, and he'll still say the same thing - "weps off rules" and I know what he means, it's real racing without the combat...
    Yes I will!
    The only thing I like about weapons-on racing is that I can absorb and do more barrel rolls!
    You did become a great player btw, mate, and not only weapons-on. I remember you pulling under 1:55 on Talon's W weps off once.

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Get HD-FURY Smadders - I miss playing you the most out of everyone mate - we learnt together if I recall correctly. You, me and Hax , those were the days of innocence

Timezone
    GMT -5

Tough Words above, but still, a great race is still a great race... But without weapons, that will take skill. Some people just don't have it. But it's a race all the same....

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Ive always enjoyed pretty much all modes woHD has to offer. Each requires its own measure of skill (and luck). Some say weapon races is all about luck, but then again 'weapon off' races requires its own luck. (starting from last place in a room full of 'zoners is one hell of an uphill struggle).

I can understand why weapons drive people crazy sometimes, but so long as you actually use them, it all swings in roundabouts and youll eventually recieve just as much good luck as you do bad luck

The things that always got me riled and shouting are things like -- popping in the air on TJ when youve smashed into an invisible wall, lag kindly making you hit a bomb that wasnt even visible, lag making you hit a bomb despite you being a tracks width away from it, the normally very useful announcer lady not warning me a quake is coming when ive been holding onto a single shield for just that reason, or my all time favourite swear-a-thon -- Racing in 1st against Japan when from out of nowhere i fell through the floor in the tunnel on SC Rev, and continuously fell through one spot respawning endlessly and unable to move

Im very competative, and a pretty sore loser, but at do try and remind myself that "its only a game"

Well, finally someone gets back on topic. Thanks, OBH.

PSN ID
    Sphereshift

Doing Phantom Elite on C. Project. Have tried now seeeveerral times. Last lap and my chances to win were very high. Got an autopilt. And it did what? Carried my craft off the track, race lost. Not to mention all the other things. This is just unfair and stands in no relation to the others tracks on this difficulty settings which were all really doable without too much anger. But now, I go crazy after a certain period of time and turn into a crybaby ; ) But I will continue until it is done..in no other game I would try this. This game will be my personal doom (for my nerves,haha).

Edit: I did it..finally (With Mirage). Uff.
    Last edited by Autechom; 11th March 2010 at 12:24 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Well, I almost always lose, so that's not an issue.
    What pisses me off is that being last, I eat tons of mines and bombs... and when you're last, it's not fun to get even more delay like this :'(

PSN ID
    Sphereshift

And it´s so wonderful, playing Syncopia in Zone mode.It happened 4 times in Zone mode that I wanted to correct the direction of my craft and performed a barrel roll. So I lost 60 shield points. That sucks...
    Last edited by Autechom; 14th March 2010 at 01:22 PM.