View Poll Results: Do you let go of accelerate of wall scrape on difficult corners

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wimp out and let go of accelerate

6 23.08%
  • I cant drive properly and scrape the wall

20 76.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall scrape or decelerate

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Question Wall scrape or decelerate

I thought id expand on my post in another thread to find other peoples opinions on this. For the people who find the hairpins and sharp corners hit or miss when it comes to getting around them, which do you find a preferred tactic. Letting go of accelerate briefly or trying to get the best line possible and making do with a little wall scraping.

Myself I never let go of accelerate, I think the speed lost from wall scraping is not as much as letting go of accelerate.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I think the Chenghou Forward hairpin is the only particular case where it's necessary for me to scrape the wall intentionally , as it's just plain slower otherwise. In other places I might mess up, but I could do either just out of instinct.

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Chenghou is also the main culprit for me (although occasionally the hairpin on Talons Junction and the S-bend on Ubermall also cause me problems). But where some people try for it knowing 95% of the time they will be hitting the wall, others dont take the risk and choose to hold off on accelerate for a second. It would be interesting to see what the preferred tactics are for other Zoners and what the factors are for this. Im guessing its the more experienced players that take the hit and the newer racers that hold off......

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I started out in FEISAR. I also started out trying to avoid the wall on CP. After being pummelled off track by everyone else multiple times I figured I must be doing something wrong. So I stopped trying to do what I considered right and just let myself hit the wall. It was much safer, although I still get knocked off occasionally.

I think I let off on Talon's too sometimes, but I don't really know the Fury tracks too well. If I do it right then I think I can get away with airbrakes.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the vote turns out.

Rezatron is offline Banned for aggressive behaviour toward members, moderators and admin. Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rezatron

What about the final turn on Sebenco reverse at phantom speed? I can't hit the last 2 speed pads if I do a barrel off the bump without decelerating, is it possible? Maybe it's just faster not to BR and hit the speed pads, haven't tested that yet.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I try to avoid the walls as much as possible. In fact Chengou Forward's hairpin may be the only corner where I have to hit the wall with the rear right part of the ship + release the accel. most of the time.

I know that FEISAR can get through this corner with 100% of its thrust. I was amazed when I did that.
    lol FEISAR pilots must get like "PERFECT LAP - PERFECT LAP - PERFECT LAP - PERFECT LAP"

good example Rezatron

Woopzilla is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Content Contributor
    Phantom Pilot
    PSN ID
    Woopzilla

I used to occasionally let go with Goteki 45 mostly at the Ubermall S-bend and Chengou. The Talon's junction one I didn't find so bad... it has quite an easy flat strip before it and you get quite a bit of time to prepare for it. The chengou one on the other hand is slightly sloped on the approach/exit (I think?), so it's a littler harder.

But since I switched to AG-Systems I just slam on the airbrakes and hope for the best, no more letting go of accel.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Unless I have 1hp I'm not going to decelerate.

On Chenghou you can take the hairpin without hitting any walls and without
    decelerating, with AG-SYS and FEISAR, both confirmed ... it looks rather
    spectacular when you do it ... but I think Icaras ship hitting the wall would go
    just as fast if not faster.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IDReaper

I actually tend to tap X whenever I feel I need to cut a tight corner sharper or avoid a wall scrape. To me it feels as though sometimes it is worth tapping accel for just a second to get that crisp ultra close apex. Sometimes the better turn makes up for any speed loss.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Aside from that fluke with the hairpin in Chenghou, wall-scraping has always slowed me down far more than letting off the gas for a microsecond.

on-track pitch isn't as pronounced as it was in the original PS1 games, but I've found toying with it in sharper corners, combined with side-shifts, can help me get through tough corners without having to let off the gas or dive into a wall.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Rezatron View Post
    What about the final turn on Sebenco reverse at phantom speed? I can't hit the last 2 speed pads if I do a barrel off the bump without decelerating, is it possible? Maybe it's just faster not to BR and hit the speed pads, haven't tested that yet.
    Tis possible in most ships to BR, hit the pads and miss the wall without lifting off. Not sure about piranha or auricom, haven't really tried. Triakis can but it's pushing it and the margin for error is quite small so it's not really worth it.

Basically if you have >60 handling you're sorted
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 1st March 2010 at 05:55 PM.

PSN ID
    gordo31874

It's a matter of principle.
    Never let up.

Quite apart from that, my thumb is cramped up from some long pressing down on the X
    Last edited by gordo1974; 1st March 2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: apostrophe!

i didnt bother to vote as the options were presumptuous
    players who wall scrape dont always do it cos they cant drive properly.

for example first corner on chengu...if i get a bad approach in a race i will deleberatly hit the wall and bounce off and use a turbo or use the speed pad because taking my finger off the aaceleration takes longer..

plus side shift is always available to deal with scraps too if your line is out.

i think i took my finger off thrust once in all my playing an it was on amphesium on the hair pin and it was only cos there was no wall near me to bounce from i was just way to wide of anything..

Phantom Pilot
    PSN ID
    Woopzilla

I think the options were meant to be taken humorously, since you either do one thing or the other... but both are taking a stab at the person choosing.

I never actually thought of deliberately using wall hits, though I've noticed that the corner at chengou isn't all that punishing if you mess up.

I've also just remembered the first sharp uphill left turn on Sol 2 R. In the Goteki I would occasionally have trouble pulling off the barrel roll without slamming into the wall, so I let go of accel for a split second. As stated before though, it's a lot easier since switching to AG-SYS.

lol.i know..... but im in a bad mood cos my ps3 is broke so im looking for a forum fight.....who wants a some ...ey

i didnt know you could do BR on sol reverse on the bend..pity ps3 is broken or i could try it..

Phantom Pilot
    PSN ID
    Woopzilla

Here's a video posted by SaturnReturn. At 0:25 it's seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKUjB0erF3A

You can see he scraped the wall a tiny bit there... I would usually grind hard into it.

I've improved and changed ships since then though.
    Last edited by Woopzilla; 1st March 2010 at 06:51 PM.

cool video...i loved the br on the first straight leading upto the big u turn never new it existed niether did i know you could br on the corner..the player in the video is very skillful imo..

thx for the link woop

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

@jasmin - Thanks for the compliment. Although are you seriously trying to tell me you haven't watched any of my videos before?

yes i have watched some of your videos but i didnt know it was you till just now it says chiliharvs i thought it was just one of those french super players who do those impossible stunts on the tracks.

well i had an idea you were fast cos i see your times on the boards but you look better on film..its also good cos you are in a race too so its much harder to do the stunts than offline in SL..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

In his video, the most important part is at 1:33, he does the BR the hits mines
    and then facing a wall, about to grind it, but then directly uses the sideshift,
    saving him precious time. It must become a reflex.

Also at 1:36, he hits the right wall in order to avoid the bomb, and then
    another SS to get back to the track.