Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Syncopia/Pure Four Time Trial Glitch

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Post Syncopia/Pure Four Time Trial Glitch

Well, as some/many will already know, I experienced a glitch in the game on 20/02/2010 where I was allowed to play on Syncopia in Time Trial mode. I said I would explain further here, so here goes...

I started up my PS3, loaded up WipEout and started to do some Time Trial. It was Phantom class on Tech De Ra Reverse. After a while I left the TT to try and get online for some Avalon action. As the WOHD servers were undergoing maintenance I wasn't able to sign in. The screen did not change from the 'Connecting' box. After a short while I gave up, hit the O button and went back to the menu. Now, the game remembers which track and class you were last on, so to get back to TDR rev TT I should have just kept pressing the X button on Racebox all the way from the menu to the loading screen. This is what I did, however, after selecting the track, the announcer said, "Syncopia". At first I thought I had somehow selected Zone mode by accident, but once I was there I noticed that I did not have the Zone Icaras and the HUD was the Time Trial one. Sure enough I was in Time Trial mode on Syncopia. The track was dark and surroundings a deep red/pink, similar to the Icaras's own colours. It was somewhat eerie to be there, especially knowing full well that I was the only one who had ever been there, and possibly ever will. This was amplified by the dark, desolate looking city in the background, which I wasn't even sure wasn't supposed to be there at first. I luckily had my PVR hooked up via component cable, even though I wasn't recording, as my HDMI connection has broken. So hooked it up to my PC and captured some video.

I feel very lucky to have experienced this. I only apologise I'm not a better writer, or I would be able to convey this experience in a far more 'romantic' way.

I know some have suggested before that the Pure Four Zone tracks should be unlocked for racing. I was unsure myself, but I can safely say this track is a lot of fun to race TT on, so I now fully support this idea. There are lots of barrel rolls available, and also obvious shortcuts. These aren't not shown in the video, but you can go straight through the 'wavy bits' on the side of the track. The actual track feels very smooth and has a great flow to it. It seems that the majority of functionality for this is already supported too. I have a ghost save file for Syncopia Phantom TT and the Pure Four tracks now appear in the Time Trial records (which I assume they didn't before).

This makes me wonder if these tracks were initially intended to be available for play outside of Zone mode. Also, what is the city in the background? Perhaps this was going to be a normal version for racing on, with a full background like normal tracks? Or maybe it's actually the backdrop from a different track and I just don't recognise it?

Links
    (Please keep any in depth discussion to this thread to avoid taking other threads too far off topic).
    Video links posted in video thread.
    Images links posted in image thread.
    Ghost save file photo.
    Pure Four Tracks record menu sample images.
    I also uploaded some images as attachments in case the photobucket account ever dies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Timezone
    GMT -5

The city skybox appears to be Las-Vegas from Amphiseum.
    I would like to be able to play these outside of Zone as well, they look really cool. Imagine Time Trial but with Zone mode effects every time you make a lap.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

WOW.

I was thinking the auburn color scheme looked cool, but then I saw the cityscape and moonlight reflecting off the non-zone Fury Icaras. "Romantic" is not the word. I am in love!

Fascinating. You mentioned that background color was similar to the Icaras's. If it is the case that they are dependent, then if it ever becomes possible to reproduce the bug, it may be possible to achieve different effects based on ship choice. I'm thinking of the Assegai blue or Triakis green. However, the blue skyline and auburn depth gradient are so well-balanced chromatically, it looks like it was designed that way, as an abstract dream city called "Syncopia." Extraordinary.

I am very curious to see what this would look like on the other tracks, like Mallovol. Rest assured I will be trying to reproduce this at the earliest opportunity.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

Please, post a message here if any of you manage to start a TT on any of the zone tracks again! Maybe it is possible to just hit the circle-button when the game is connecting to the online servers and then just mash the x-button on the Racebox-icon... I'm at work now and can't experiment with this until I come home...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

It's not that simple, unfortunately.

For me, if connecting online is successful, and I exit it out and go back to racebox, it will remember the last mode I was on but not the speed class. So, for example, if I were doing an Amphiseum Phantom SL, it would remember Amphiseum and SL but it would set it to Venom. Can anyone else confirm this? It might be related. Somehow the "remember" settings are being futzed with.

SR, did you happen to actually see the selection on Syncopia, or was still on TDR Rev and you just heard "Syncopia?"

Also, that cityscape is NOT Las Vegas from Amphiseum. The buildings are more bunched up and the sky is clearer. You can't actually see the moon in Amphiseum because there are so many dark clouds overhead. I don't think I've seen that cityscape before.
    Last edited by Koleax; 22nd February 2010 at 03:26 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Quote Originally Posted by multibodydynamics View Post
    Please, post a message here if any of you manage to start a TT on any of the zone tracks again!
    I'm getting bad vibes from that exclamation mark and eye-roll. I tried to reproduce it myself but couldn't. I told others online in the PSN chatbox at the time and they couldn't either.

Koleax - I wasn't looking at the screen at the time, but when I heard "Syncopia" I turned around and I'm fairly sure it was still selecting TDR rev in the visuals. I definitely remember seeing the TDR symbol.

EDIT: Koleax, I have the same as you, i.e. if I successfully connect and make it to the online menu and then go back, then it will have forgotten the speed class.
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 22nd February 2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: .

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@SR: You now got your special-something out of WipEout as well! Like
    Asayyeah said; "A WR which can't be beaten this time : hats off ". Well,
    thanks for documenting the glitch the way you have. Hopefully someone may find
    a way to make it usable for everyone. I've found out that the section process is
    behind it's visual representation. Indeed, the selection process behaves a bit
    strange while selecting something and pressing X quickly thereafter. I did a
    ZONE run on Syncopia and immediately after the track was selected (by pressing
    X) I pressed X again and the icons of all the crafts had a lock as their
    symbols. So it seems like that the selection process can be confused at times,
    we just have to find out how to do it in a constant fashion. Imagine playing
    Syncopia online. I think it's worth to play the Pure4 under normal race
    conditions as well, but the problem is that they do not fit into the story the
    way the are shown. Someone needs to create a story around them. The Pure4 can
    also be a starting point for another racing league, a league that races in a
    much higher speed class and on tracks similar to those of the Pure4.

About the city skybox. Either there was a plan to make the Pure4 available for
    normal racing, which might have been dropped later on, or the skybox is just a
    debugging-skybox. Anyways, the glitch actually shows that WipEout HD does
    include something that shouldn't be there. Up until now no one ever found
    anything like this, no hidden messages, no signs of the developer, no secrets,
    just nothing. I for myself scanned the skyscrapers of Metropia ... but there
    was just nothing. Millions of photos were taken but no one ever found something
    interesting even while placing the camera below the track or wherever. I think
    there must be something interesting in the game, but we weren't able to find it
    just yet. Anyways, the glitch is a good starting point to look for more.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Alright, a few more questions, SR! Were you using the HD menu style or Fury? Were you receiving messages from the live chat at the time that might have slowed down or muddled the menu options loading in some way?

I'd like to think that it's not related to server maintenance at all. It may be that, as PS hinted, it's simply related to the pressing the X-button very quickly.

Although there is something that happened to me involving TDR TT the very first time I booted up the game a couple nights ago. I got this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...s/000_0287.jpg

As you can see, only TDR forward is available for selection while TDR reverse is not shown. I thought perhaps this was it, but I hit X and it simply went to TDR.

It may be worth noting that the entire game had an audio delay from between a half-second to a full second from the moment it booted this time. It was also booted offline.

I was actually able to reproduce this bug once by hitting the D-pad left and right buttons after hitting X quickly, noticing that it's still possible to move the selection even after a selection has been made. I thought that might mess things up a little and produce a bug, and perhaps I was right, but I was only able to do it once out of over a hundred attempts.

Well, I'm off to try to again.

Oh yeah, don't laugh at my TDR TT time.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Interesting stuff. I use the HD menu style. I don't think I was in a chat box because I seem to recall entering the chat to tell people about it after it happened, but can't really remember whether I was already signed into it. Maybe others can help with that. PS was there. If I entered the box ans straight away told them about it then I wouldn't have been in the chatbox before hand. Sorry that I can't exactly recall, I was excited at the time. I would have already been signed into the PSN though, just not the WO servers.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

Quote Originally Posted by Koleax View Post
    I was actually able to reproduce this bug once by hitting the D-pad left and right buttons after hitting X quickly, noticing that it's still possible to move the selection even after a selection has been made. I thought that might mess things up a little and produce a bug, and perhaps I was right, but I was only able to do it once out of over a hundred attempts.

Well, I'm off to try to again.
    Going slightly off-topic here...
    Well,I seem to have done it quite a few times when it did the "glitch"(got a "100% success rate"),almost wanting to post this in the curious things thread.I was playing multiplayer with my bro when I found out about this glitch.
    On topic..
    I must say that I really like ZB(Zone Battle)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Default Moderator Message

I moved the posts relating to the Syncopia glitch here to a separate thread so that discussion about it can be uninterrupted and not take over the other thread in any way. I think it also deserves its own thread and will draw attention to it for anyone who may otherwise miss it and who may be able to help recreate it.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Thanks, SR! I thought this deserved its own thread, too.

F.E.I.S.A.R., could you tell me how you were able to reproduce that other bug with 100% success rate? I might be able to mess around with it from then on and it could be related to this Syncopia TT glitch.

Timezone
    GMT -5

There is another.... albeit with a crap time.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

This is great news, and you've done it on Venom and Phantom. Please do tell us more IH8YOU. When and how did it happen? Does this mean you have it all figured out?

I notice a couple of others have their names listed on Flash, and also someone on Mallavol, but with no actual times. Pro Tozo Venom has tonnes of names listed too, again with no times. Maybe this is a sign that these are going to be officially unlocked? Or was it always this way for Pro Tozo?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

yeahhh, i look forward trying all those BRs on syncopia !!

Timezone
    GMT -5

I've been able to do this 4 times now, trying to get Flash and Rapier to work next.

Tried in vain to get the other zone tracks, no joy yet.

Will update soon.

Rezatron is offline Banned for aggressive behaviour toward members, moderators and admin. Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rezatron

*crosses fingers*

I<3YOU if you figure this out

PSN ID
    Reezellthia

Regarding Koleax's bug, I've experienced the same and I'm pretty sure it occurred from racing (zone mode) a pure 4 track previously. Had nothing to do with multiplayer, I may not have even been connected to the internet at all.

Woopzilla is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Content Contributor
    Phantom Pilot
    PSN ID
    Woopzilla

I've had TDR R missing several times as well... although I rarely play Zone. I think I was playing single races when TDR went missing. I hit O to get back to the main menu, went back into the racebox and TDR was back again.

Personally I think it's somehow related to not being connected... because I probably wouldn't be playing single player if I could get online. Though it's all just speculation.

It would be nice if IH8YOU could perhaps share what he is doing so that we could also help figuring it out, a collective effort would maybe yield faster results.
    Last edited by Woopzilla; 28th February 2010 at 02:29 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

IH8YOU explained it to me via PSN messages. I'm still not entirely sure on some of the details but will attempt to summarise here.

He was signed in and connected to online the whole time (I think).
    He went into Racebox and performed a complete TT on Tech de Ra. (He had only got it to work on Venom and Phantom when I last messaged him)
    He went back to the main menu and hit X over online, but hit O to go back straight away, without getting to the online menu screen.
    He then went back into Racebox and selected Time Trial. He mentioned hitting select and X and almost the same time. If you hit select just after X when selecting Time Trial then it doesn't seem to bring up the online friends box that it usually would.
    As far as I understand it, from there he just hit X all the way and it took him to Syncopia.

I think that's it, but he can correct me on anything that was wrong. I don't recall hitting the select button when it happened to me. It may just be coincidence, but he has done it more than once so maybe if people try that method a few times then they may have some luck.