Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: World-Wide Peace?

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Loopan2k

Default World-Wide Peace?

Ive been thinking about this for some time now. Is World-wide peace possible? Looking at how we already have progressed in life, and of how much further we have left to go. What i have realized is this;
    *note: Keep in mind some of this may seem obvious, but im trying to get everyone to understand, so please read through it all, thank you**

Early on in Human existence capital punishment was considered as the normal. 200 years ago even, the country of France would allow people to get the noose right in front of the public.. in the town squares. It was acceptable back then and although some considered it as cruel, most looked at it as lesson and later grew an immunity to the sight of a person dieing. This created a stuborn/hardened group of people. These stuborn people, who in their mind were considering capital punishment as the right thing to do, later went on to teach there offspring's the same thing. Thus a trend continued, generation to generation. Kid's who were taught to be tough,then grew into parents themselves.

Why did this killing happen? Because people did NOT know what they were really doing, they didn't see that killing is bad, not good. World wars eventually broke out, and millions of lives were lost. However, slowly people are learning that this act of war is wrong because it's hurting the human race. You can see this in the world of today. Communism is almost gone, and country vs country conflicts are using words instead of guns.

So why is this? why didn't the world do this a long time ago?
    Because technology hit mainstream during WWII. Television was just starting to get popular, and provided a much need sense to which radio could not provide. Modern Civilians for the first time could see what war looked like. No matter if they were American, British, Canadian, Russian,etc.. they all saw a peace of the human race dead. At that hit home to the rest of the world.

Thanks to Technology, and time, we are understanding our faults. From hangings in the middle of the street, to just tickets/fines.. we are understanding how important we all are. Whether we know it or not, we all have a little instinct in us that cares.

You may be thinking, "but there is still murders, stealing, terrorism, suicides, we haven't changed!".

On a bigger scale we have changed, However on some levels like murders, stealing, terrorism, suicides, that change is not yet "complete". But like i said in my first paragraph there is still an up bringing of stuborn and bad kids, through bad parenting. BUT that ALSO is changing. Each generation of parents are adapting to the morals of society. 50 years ago you would hit your kid if he/she did something wrong, now a days that's not anywhere near as common. Sher there are the few cases of child abuse.. but like what i have been explaining about history, It takes time. Time to let the bad behaviors and prejudices of the people filter out. It may take 100 years or 1,000 years. But one thing is for sure, if there isn't that odd person who calls "jenga" on the planet, world-wide peace will happen.
    Last edited by Z°ⁿε; 13th February 2010 at 04:09 AM.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

your optimism is quite endearing to my humanity, sure, but the world is as it always has been and will be... quite ****ed up...

Yeah technology has leaped forward and TV showed us WW2, as a lesson in modern history, but technologies also turned to weapons of destruction... hmmm.. ok leave that argument alone for a sec, and consider this even - technologies have also bought us console games like CoD MW2, simulated war in the name of entertainment... generally i've found there to be 2 negatives to every positive when it comes to most technological advancements in the past century...

it's a shame that we won't learn, all at once - it's not possible, unless, ... unless a flood of biblical proportions or other cataclysmic event which threatened the existence of humanity, forced us all to put aside our differences and do a beautiful thing in the midst of chaos... unite. Just my 2 rupees worth

Timezone
    GMT -5

Indeed. Not going to happen unless major event from outside planet Earth made some way to make us bond together as species. Not necessary threat event, but a possible case. Could also be major scientific discovery, breakthrough in energy creation or first contact with alien species. Even then it is uncertain.
    Unfortunate but that is how it is.
    I agree ACE-FLO.

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

thanks Drell, welcome btw

the possibility of world peace gets dimmer the older I get. One thing I find really standing in the way, of world peace, is mans rather insatiable desire to own things, people, places and power... Greed, for want of a better word, is becoming more apparent the further up the corporate ladder I climb, and I'm only 34 mate... take the real movers and shakers, the politicians, media moghuls and others, now these are the people who shape our thoughts, lead us to form opinion,.. and that my friend is real power...

For example, being a Muslim, I fiind it seriously annoying that Islam is outrageously misrepresented in the west. And it is the media which paints a pic akin to 'Islam = religion of hatred and terror' lol... whatever. Think for a sec, do you really believe that 1.4 Billion people would want to be a part of such a religion? no, ofcourse not - but the media won't stop drumming it into your heads that Islam = terror lol, the scary thing is that propaganda of this nature is already kinda seeping its way into the mentality of any one with a TV set, and some with CoD MW2 enjoy taking out (so called) afghan rebels...

i'm ranting, rght? ok, rant done.

problem with world peace or anything really is that half of the people in the world cannot think logically and half the people in the world do not know true right from wrong if they did we wouldnt need to have the law.

people try to force their ideals of how things should be onto other people ..it is not right its just their oppinion.

labour party in uk does this ..tells us what is right/wrong to say (political correctness)...i think hitler called it fascism, not saying their like him just they use his method of thinking.

religon causes problems and fighting..
    i was christian
    now i am muslim
    i have read bible and Qur'an and have discovered how ignorant many belivers are from both religions ,the crap they preach about the other when in reality they know nothing and fail to see the truth.
    bit even though religion causes many problems with the ignorant people all faiths have the non religious people cause just as much problems as there world view is simple greed ,me me me..i only live once i gotta get what i want and screw over others ..not all ,but many think like this.but not everyone can be a life winner so many are left empty and bitter who cause misery for others..
    all of this creates issues in the world...

solution is put all people in the world on E's so we all love each other and dont see the world for what it has become..

edit...@ace...yes when i was at school i was brought up to believe all muslims are wife beaters and ass rapers and they are a hatefull people who want to kill all of us and take away our freedom....well that until i met muslims myself and discovered they are not like this but in fact kind generous forgiving and thoughtful in general..

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Jasmin, lol, history is a mother****er aint it? Muslims are just people at the end of the day, and they live by the rules like everyone else. Infact, in the UK, Indo/Pak Muslims are the single most successful minority ethnic group contributing to new and successfull business startups in the country... fact...

makes me proud, ... but it may be short lived. I'm off topic and a mod gonna have words if i'm not careful.

World Peace, glad someone bought it up (Zone) bet at some point we all thought about it eh?

EDIT: Jasmin, hope you was kidding about the E's... unless you mean E as in wipEout

EDIT: Yeah, you mean as in wipEout... thanks for the add btw
    Last edited by ACE-FLO; 13th February 2010 at 03:15 AM.

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

I disagree and feel that there will never be world peace. Human beings as a species are considered power-hungry and greedy, always wanting more.

Wars have been going on for as long as the Earth can remember and although technology has advanced and could help prevent wars, I feel that it will never stop them completely and is a bit of a double-edged sword (i.e. technology can also aid in wars.)

It'd take an absolute miracle to bring about world peace and I although I seem cynical, I'm almost certain that it won't happen.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Yes, of course there will be world peace eventually. We peace lovers simply have to finish killing off all those violent evil people that are ruining the world.

*please note the irony of the above statement*

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

It's a fundamental aspect of human nature that we'll never get along perfectly. Accept it.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Loopan2k

fundamental? No, im sorry. It all depends on how you were raised as a kid. There are people in this world that don't steal, kill, fight. Sher we all get angry, but some people learn how to deal with it. I think the only reason why we think what we think, and do what we do, is all relative to how we were raised. The world is getting more and more peaceful. It's just a matter of time.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

As long as we draw boundaries there will be no peace on earth.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

without boundaries we would have no means to measure peace.

boundaries are not the problem ... its our incapacity for tolerance and diversity that drives us to violence. But often our differences are just a cover for the real problem ... squabbling over resources.

Peace comes with feelings of safety and security ... and considering the current rate of consumption, growth of the population and the physical limitations of the planet ... peace may be as scarce as clean water in the future.
    Last edited by TorquedSoul; 14th February 2010 at 11:54 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

There are boundaries that are imposted by nature, for example, everyone needs a
    certain space to live. You either defend its boundary or you will die if the
    enclosed space gets too small, no matter what.

But these are not the boundaries I'm talking about, I'm talking about those
    that were drawn by men, whether they do have a physical form or not. And that's
    why I wrote; "As long as we draw ...". In essence, there are many artificial
    boundaries that do cause many many problem for no reasons. One can now start
    to give them names, like you and others have done.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

I dont disagree entirely ... but I think we may have a chicken and the egg argument on our hands.

What is the motive for drawing the artificial boundaries?

I think most of our current boundaries are just extrapolations of historical prejudices ... the roots of which lost in history. IMO, the dehumanizing and even demonizing of some people and cultures was done simply to facilitate taking their stuff. And what we deal with today is just the lingering effects of such tactics. I wish I could say that there are no recent examples from my own country ... but that would be a bit dishonest at this point.

The prejudice grows inevitably as a cognitive response to justify behavior.

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    fundamental? No, im sorry. It all depends on how you were raised as a kid.
    Erm. No. I disagree... to blame everything on bad parenting is a pretty weak argument. People form opinions, from experience, not from the opinions of others... Even if those opinions belonged to ones parents, you can only beleive it to a point. Human nature is such that, if I said "Hey, there's a garbage dump behind that hill. Don't go there, it stinks!" You'd go there anyway.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I walked across the road behind a garbage truck once...it stank and I almost died. I can therefore say that I most definitely would never ever ever walk up a hill.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Quote Originally Posted by Z°ⁿε View Post
    fundamental? No, im sorry. It all depends on how you were raised as a kid.
    Don't give me that garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Z°ⁿε View Post
    There are people in this world that don't steal, kill, fight. Sher we all get angry, but some people learn how to deal with it.
    So some people control their baser instincts. But you'll never see the day when everybody does.

Rialto, Inland Empire, Southern California
    Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    someguy63-

I can sum up all of this in four words:

This world is B******t

PSN ID
    SenGoku-Shunsuke

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Locke View Post
    So some people control their baser instincts. But you'll never see the day when everybody does.
    Is that any less reason not to try for peace though? Why quit at the first hurdle? In the words of some famous avant-garde crack-pot "Give peace a chance".

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

Sure there is no reason not to try to make the world a better place. Unfortunately some people who consider themselves 'pragmatist' claim that to be fair in an unfair world puts you at a disadvantage. These pragmatists dont want to be a sacrifice to someone else's ambition so they eventually start employing the same negative tactics. This is your fight 'fire with fire' crowd. Unfortunately they cant tell who is employing the fire against them after a while so they themselves become the firestarters. All while chanting their "Out of my Control" mantra.

Those that hold to their morals and ethics are often marginalized and lack the ability to drive change. Peaceful change requires large numbers ... and its hard to find that many people willing to make that sacrifice ... all because they fear putting themselves at a disadvantage.