Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forget ship stats, what the ships are really good at.

cant someone ask paul tweedle..i think i got the name right..he is a member here and didnt he help make wipeout..

he left SL maybe he will just give us the list of stats so we can see what the ships are really like and settle the curiosity ..

maybe i can ask but i think it would be better if someone who knows him well would be better....

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Whizzer-Hawk View Post
    Statistically I think Qirex & Feisar are a bit overpowered, but that's just my opinion.
    How are they overpowered? Feisar is the perpetual beginner's ship, and if anything Qirex is underpowered o_O

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Paul hasn't visited the forum since mid Oct last year and has left SL,or what was studio Liverpool before the purge.
    I'm not sure that anybody that has worked on HD/FURY, or any of the older wipeouts for that matter,that are still working at SL would know the answer to this question.

Best bet would of been Darkdrium [now banned]as he tended to get right into the technicalities of the game at that level.
    Maybe Elhabib or Hellfire might have be the next best bet [probably the only others], as I know one of then did some actual tests with the craft on performance levels.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Hey, now, AG-wolf...Feisar a beginner's ship?! I resemble that remark!

Having said that, I also disagree with it. Just because Feisar is statistically the best handling ship, does not mean it's the easiest to handle...especially for a beginner. It's light, floaty, lacks stability and cannot be muscled around the track...it must be finessed around it. Not to mention you're not going to win a single collision war...try to bully another ship and you are guaranteed to pay the price. It's not a ship that's easy to master, for those reasons. I know I've spoken with folks who specifically noted that they can't use Feisar because they are just all over the place with it. AG Sys or Mirage are examples of ships that are more user-friendly to a beginner, as they both handle well while being more stable and easier to maintain proper lines with than Feisar would be. FYI, I'm referring to the HD ships, not Fury.

As far as Fury Feisar, I've put in a lot of time with it and, while it's nice, I've gone back to solely using HD Feisar. Why? Well, the Fury Feisar's increased top speed and thrust is cool and all, but the ship is heavier and more stable now. What does that mean? Isn't that a good thing? Well, it means it doesn't get as much air as HD Feisar, resulting in me being unable to consistently pull of BR's in spots I used to be able to with relative ease...and believe me, I need all the air I can get, as my thumb isn't as quick as you freaks who can BR off of the slightest of bumps. And I mean freaks as a high compliment. One of the spots I'm referring to is over the top of the final hill on Sol 2 Reverse. Even hitting the speed pad right before it, I was struggling to BR...not so with HD Feisar though.

Anyway, that's all I got. Feisar is my ship and I love it. It's the only ship in the game that can forgo the use of airbrakes in some spots where any other ship cannot...albeit with the use of great finesse.

deleted comment cos i got it wrong..

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

personally i think feisars a tough ship to learn as you need perfect lines. Except, of course, tracks like sol 2 and sebenco where the little blue ship is king.

Glad to see Auricom+ got a mention. A great ship topped off with pimpin' looks.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Feisar is the best ship to develop reaction time. As it supposedly "unstable", you have to steer it perfectly to maintain a decent racing line. On the same note its the best ship to reajust mistakes and under/over steer in a second. Its at the same time a beginner and an expert ship. It just does it all And now with 80% top speed, its a divine ship! Put good Thrust and Shield in the equation and you have the perfect winner.

The gravity center is also that; centered. The whole ship turns and react, neither the nose or tail is slippery or sluggish. This is the ship that allows the best racing feeling, that allows you to bound with.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

@ OBH & Kyonshi - EXACTLY!!!

(except that I don't consider the Fury Feisar to be "divine" for me, for the reason I stated in my original post...everyone is different though, of course)

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

Since L&P wants me to chime in because the recent posts are on Federal European Industries Science And Research,I'd as well..
    I must say that I have loved FEISAR since I played 2097/XL on the Saturn. I prefer using the FEISAR Chasis Mark 3 because of its agility(handling),and since I know how to pilot the ships,I am not considered a newbie.Yes,its speed may not be so good,so what?What is the use of speed when your ship has a bigger turning radius and it cannot even maintain that speed?
    Well,I cannot say ant=ything else except that it has waaaaaaaaay superior handling.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I still haven't found MY ship in this game.

But does anyone have a certain ship they always use? Or does it change depending on what course/speed level you're playing?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Default Moderator Message

@ksc600: I'm pretty sure there are enough favourite ship posts/topics around. So if that is essentially what you're asking, then to avoid taking this thread off topic and repeating information that is already available, please try a search.
    For example, this one would seem perfect and results from a very quick search:
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...Favourite+ship
    Here is another along similar lines:
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...avorite&page=2

PSN ID
    Whizawk

I find that Auricom/+ has the best feel for me as its lack of turning ability helps the ship on faster speeds which makes anticipation more accurate, it also turns very smoothly. The downside is that it glues to the walls; a bit like piranha and has a big issue with recovery after hitting a wall or being shot. Nevertheless it is a great ship and the unecessary rareness & unpopularity with the ship makes people pull funny faces when they're beaten with it.
    Last edited by Whizawk; 31st August 2010 at 06:10 PM.

PSN ID
    gordo31874

I think I'm still on topic here, as the thread says "forget stats, what are the ships really good at". But, anyway.
    I've always been a furymau boy for TT (mirage for running into mines in single race), but recently I've tried G-45. Now on the slower speeds, flash for example, I really wasn't a fan. Dragging its fat carcass round CP was a bit of a chore and I found Icaras (being lighter I think) felt more responsive. Certainly for TT I was underwhelmed by G-45.
    Rack it up to Rapier though, and suddenly G-45 turns into this little high revving japanese 4 cylinder trash beast!
    I don't think it handles better that Icaras (for instance), but I think it's undoubted acceleration makes it feel more responsive, it really does give the feeling of manically pulling out of corners.
    Anyway, I did a few laps with it on AP, got my times down and then, just to compare, gave Icaras a run. Given the fact that I loved the G-45 pull out of corners, I was somewhat dissappointed when Icaras thrashed the poor 4 cyclinder-rev-up-to-10,000-scream-beast.
    So I suppose, in answer to the question, "what are the ships really good at", I'd have to reply, G-45's no good at TT.
    But it is a right laugh to fly at the higher speeds
    Last edited by gordo1974; 3rd September 2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: smiley

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DebtsPaid

Default My Harimau Review

i've driven the Harimau on and off for a year. What i have noticed..

great starter

loses most shoving matches but great at apexing off another ship

glues to wall if wall scraping

good acceleration on boost arrows

fine handling at high speeds

side shifting seems to take two body lengths (tested 10-80% airbrakes)

for lack of better comparison or explination..
    the Harimau's weight in the handling come from the center like a feisar egx or ag-s

SOO HARIMAU IS GOOD AT.. MAINTAINING HIGH SPEEDS COMPETITIVELY AND HOLDING LINES IN THE CORNER APEX

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

"Harimau" and "great start" in the same sentence does not compute in my book. I used to overtaken by the AG-S both besides and behind me when I drove that. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, but it doesn't exactly excel in the thrust department.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I was using harimau fury the other night. I found it definitely seems to accelerate away from the line better than expected. Not like an ag-systems, obviously, but for a 20% thrust differential, it feels more like about 10%. I was also finding it seems to have a strange momentum for a better handling and fast ship and seemed to shake off hits better than expected. In general the Furymau wasn't what I had remembered harimau as being like at all.

hmmm. me think i like to use FEISAR Harmau and AG SYS. becase they in my opinion have the best handling to speed. also from doin zone alot. ive developed a wierd habit to put my fingeres between the R1 R2 L1 L2 triggers. as zone ships are really sensitive at high speed. i find squeezing the triggers right from the very top allows for the most precise movement as the triggers most resistent, and so i find those 3 ships most resemble the handling of the zone ship.

makes me look like im not pressing the buttons but still making it turn too

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

Furymau is my ship of choice. It has the speed to stay in front and the handling to make sure you make those turns. Downside... It's accel is slightly below average, it's recovery time will cause controllers to fly and the sheilds are made of stiff cardboard. Still if you can get in clean air it's very hard to stop you.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    I was also finding it seems to have a strange momentum for a better handling and fast ship and seemed to shake off hits better than expected.
    Well, if your expectations are sufficiently low, then...

My experience is at the exactly opposite of the scale. When I drive Furymau any weapon hit results in a 5 second dead-stop and it then takes forever to get going again. It could be a result of selective memory, but I call for an immediate, scientific investigation

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Good old Furymau ^_^

It looks stupid but it does the trick. Although having said that, I noticed before I went away that it's not that much better than anything else (contrary to what I used to think). I was getting frustrated at CPRev TT, around 40 (so not addicted )attempts and I kept messing up. Decided to switch it up and had a go in Mirage, EG-X, AG-Sys and Icaras and managed to get within 0.2 of my PB on my first Or second attempt with all of them. It can only be a good thing IMO. I know 0.2 seconds is quite a large gap but nevertheless, it seems Furymau doesn't equal autopwn. I like that, makes me feel like I'm not choosing the soft option