Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forget ship stats, what the ships are really good at.

Default Forget ship stats, what the ships are really good at.

Ive been playing wipeout for quite a bit now....

Im starting to come to the conclusion that the stats on the ships really dont give a good indication to the real properties of ships..

this is what i think about some of the ships at what they really are good and bad at..its only my opinion i cant prove any of it ..its just what i feel.....

i would like it if people put forward their views and opinions to see if there are any similaritys betwen what we all say..

this is what i say

pirahna fury is.....
    fast off the line
    pretty fast on a straight

but its real speciality is on a collision and bash with a ship it appears to really come off the better almost like its really heavy and holds its ground..where in a harimua i always lose out on a collision.

its weakness is stability and cornering like a wardrobe on ice unless you are really used to using it..

Triakis fury

really brilliant on shields
    sluggish
    but holds the track well and very stable and good on racing lines in its only little way.

harimau fury

pretty nippy
    average acceleration
    it wins hands down on control and fine racing lines
    its loses bigtime on bashes with other ships

AG systems fury/hd

is a harimau with better acceleration but they make it bob and bounce more on bumbs in the track so not to make it a better ship.

Qirex fury/hd

a complete all rounder with no weakness and stregnths a good little ship

mirage fury

A good ship in all ways apart from its over sensative to use so therefore to be good at it you need to dedicate time to get use to it.

feisar fury/hd

bigget strength is sharp turns
    biggest weakness is its weak and seems to be knocked all over the place by most ships.

the other ships i couldnt really say as i havnt played them to much..

remember this is just my opinon based on my experience....
    Last edited by Aeroracer; 22nd February 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Think you'll have to specify HD or Fury, or both. There are a lot of differences between them IMO.

lol....forgot..ive done it now

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

I'm pretty sure one of the devs mentioned the ship characteristics/stats once. I think it was vaguely relating to triakis being nerfed in a previous wipeout (pure?) due to one of the hidden stats. Something along the line of there are 4 basic qualities (3 of which are just quantitative shenanigans I.e. Shield, speed & accel (for the most part) and then there are a great deal more other properties which give each of the ships their characteristics (was it 12?)
    I'm making a mess of this...saturn, get your quote on / find that post for me

also agree with sat that excluding zone there should be both versionsof the ships in the list. Some fury ships are VERY dissimilar to their fury counterparts

no yeldar you make perfect sense..

i remembered what you are talking about..and those hidden stats...

basically the stats we see on the ship select screen dont mean zero as the hidden stats really can make a massive difference..

and and two ships that read to be similar by those 4 stats are really completly different in real life..

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

If I remember correctly the SL explanation was craft weight to thrust ratio ,and where on the craft the weight was situated [center of gravity] that effected it's overall handling.

IE: If the rear of the craft swings out or the front of the craft was slower to respond to quick changes in steering.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Well I thought we were forgetting the stats? But here it is anyway.
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...akis+supership

So what are the ships good at eh? Well anything with thrust is good for people to use the thrust and run tactics. AG-S seems a favourite of those who use this tactic. It involves getting ahead early, and then dropping every set of mines and every bomb you pick up. It's an excellent tactic for winning. It's also an excellent tactic for putting a lot of people off playing online. The other problem with they Fury AG-S is that it now has almost as much thrust as the Fury Goteki-45. This, coupled with that 5% thrust meaning nothing when lag gets involved, makes the G-45 almost redundant as it's handling is much lower, except for the fact that G-45 rules and AG-S feels twitchy, slow, sterile and boring to some (i.e. me).

Icaras is good for catching up. It's fast and reasonably nimble and if you can do a lot of barrel rolls and stay alive, then getting knocked off track at the start of the race doesn't have to mean coming last when in Icaras. It doesn't in any ship, because anything can happen, but I find Ica really good for chasing people down. Fury Icaras is good too but not as smooth. Generally they both provide a feeling of speed which a real joy and is absent in most other ships. It's just a shame I get pwned so much in them when online.

Harimau Fury is good for providing a fast option to those who like good handling. It means we are now less likely to see AG-S filled rooms. In fact, all the Fury ships, while being quite annoying in some ways, have brought a bit more balance to the options, and therefore more variation, which is great.

I haven't used them a lot, but I also think Qirex and Assegai have switched places with the Fury update. Assesgai was always really slippery and its centre of mass was around it's arse, so you had to slide its backside around corners. Qirex was always very stable and a joy to fly. Now the new Qirex feels slippery to me and the Fury Assegai less so, although still more like HD Assegai than Fury Qirex is like HD Qirex.

Piranha HD and Auricom HD were always good for stability, momentum and looking studly and well hard at the same time , but I never thought either of them was quick off the line, which is as their stats would suggest. I haven't really tried Fury Piranha though, so don't know what that's like.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

nerver any love for eg-x... :'( thats ok, it makes me feel special online

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

I'm very interested in these hidden stats. Perhaps we could compile a FAQ where each ship's center of gravity is, including its weight and weight/thrust ratio.

If I am not mistaken, Qirex HD has center of gravity closer to the front, such that it's more likely for the ship behind you to lift you up off the track by wedging its nose underneath. This is generally fatal on bumpy uphill turns, like in AP Reverse, CP, and Sol 2, where it can cause a respawn. If it is not Qirex HD, then it is another that behaves like this.

EG-X makes the best-looking Zone craft, so there's that stat.

nice post saturn..intersting info

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IDReaper

EG-X actually is one of the more interesting feeling ships in the game to me. It is very stable in its handling and when I use it I find myself hitting my lines more consistently. You really have to tell it where you want it to go, it's like a car with no power steering lol. It has a very raw feeling to it. It also feels like the air brakes slow it down less than other ships to compensate for having to drive it with a heavy hand. I also think it feels like it has a lower/centered center of gravity even with the massive rear end. Despite the low shields I find my best performances with EG-X are on mid to high complexity tracks where you can not so elegantly power through tight sections using walls to avoid getting shot. The only downside is the fairly low shields that betray the pilot on the tracks it is best suited to if they start to lose it. It fills the niche for pilots who want a ship with good speed/accel and greater stability.
    Last edited by IDReaper; 24th February 2010 at 02:38 AM.

One thing I notice when racing G-45(F) against Icaras(F or not), and this describes about 99% of my online racing experience, is that if my turn is not super tight on tight turns like the 2nd to last bend on Talon's junction or the first left on Chengou Project, and if an Icaras does a tighter turn than I do, which results in them ramming me, they will slam into me and rape me. On second thought, this might not have anything to do with ship statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by IDReaper View Post
    You really have to tell it where you want it to go, it's like a car with no power steering lol.
    Best...Simile...Ever

+100
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 24th February 2010 at 07:08 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

nice eg-xplaination IDReaper! i find the ship comfortably stiff without being awkward to fly like a triakis or piranha

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I wouldn't say that Fury Piranha is fast off the line, it's quicker than the HD counterpart but it's nowhere near Goteki 45 when it comes to getting a good start. I use Piranha because of the momentum, stiff racing lines and the shields. It takes a lot to turn but it makes getting the line perfect that much better, plus you don't have to be too concerned about using the air brakes as they help you glide around those tight bends. Piranha is a racing ship, it hasn't been built for time trials. Doesn't stop me from trying though.

I think collisions have little correlation with the ship stats, a Piranha will get pushed around by an Icaras all the same. I don't know what the deciding factor in that is.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

plus pirahna+ is good at getting the ladies clothes on the floor

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Qirex HD is good at...
    Lookin' sexy.
    But seriously, I've gotten accustomed to its mediocre speed just because of how much I love the ship design itself. It's really too middle-of-the-road to be phenomenal at anything in particular, but I suppose that's where better piloting compensates. It seems to have a sturdy boost with either the power-up or BR, though. Qirex Fury is much more slippery/twitchy... I would have rather it gotten a whole point increase in speed and thrust, and LOST one point on handling. It's a tolerable alternative if you can get used to the new handling, it seems to hold its own against traditionally faster ships like Piranha and the ones with better accel like AG5 and Assegai...too bad the new design is ugly from the rear (the only angle people wee of these ships when they play lol)

I think it's been said before, but Auricom HD is really stable, heavy, and fast. it takes a strong grasp to make it do what you want, but the payoff is awesome (like Qirex in XL/2097, and WO3). Auricom Fury is neurotic...

PSN ID
    Whizawk

Auricom is a good example of an American muscle car, but the ship that has the best feeling for me has to be EG-X. It's just the way it cuts through the air on the tracks, and handles the bumps - nothing really goes wrong track-wise.

It's so elegant in the way it banks for turns, and handles the intermittent up & down sea-like handling with the bumps.

Nothing else in my life has been so hard to describe.

But here's some examples on what I mean with elegancy & EG-X:

- Refined and tasteful in appearance or behavior or style.

- Displaying effortless beauty and simplicity in movement or execution.

- Suggesting taste, ease, and the attribute of being unusually effective and simple.

That's what I think EG-X's hidden stat is.

PSN ID
    Whizawk

Thumbs down Qirex & Feisar

Statistically I think Qirex & Feisar are a bit overpowered, but that's just my opinion.

Please tell me you're talking about EG-X and not EG-X+. I can't stand the fury version