Thread: Circumventing firewalls or blocked ports to play online?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Unhappy Circumventing firewalls or blocked ports to play online?

I know there's an Avalon event this weekend, but I can't connect to PSN (or Xbox Live, or nintendo's service, or pretty much anything) since I'm stuck using the school's internet.

I know they're using port-blocking to prevent people from playing games... do any networking gurus here know if there's any conceivable and productive way to get around this or do I have no hope?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

Are you able to connect to VPNs? If so, all you need is access to some network without port blocking.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

not sure, haven't ever fooled around with VPNs. Any good fool-proof how-to's? I've got classes off and on today, so I'll have to give it a shot later.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

I just stumbled upon AlwaysVPN [alwaysvpn.com]. You should check it out, maybe it is useful.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

I used http://www.your-freedom.net/ when I was in Japan. The free connection was OK for WoW, and their lowest speed paid connection is cheap. You should be able to set your PC up with this, and share that internet to your console, that's what I did with my PS3/macbook.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

That's exactly what I did to get Internet past the 23.00 shutdown down. For some reason anyone with a Sony vaio or a mac already had unfiltered Internet if you used Mozilla.... but yeah, yourfreedom is good - you do have to pay but it's pretty easy to use. Best to trial first just so yo can have a bit of time to set it up before you pay up.