Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Novice mode isn't easy enough...

PSN ID
    PLazarou

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    As I think I've mentioned earlier, my right thumb is getting really sore, and my hand is cramping up after a while. Right now, that's the biggest reason I don't play longer than I do; I get to where I simply can't keep going.
    Now that you've turned the acceleration sensitivity to 10%, you should have noticed that the X button requires very little pressure in order to register max throttle. So relax (difficult in this game I know), and don't tense your hand so much. Those triggers I mentioned earlier might help if you're generally finding the controller uncomfortable also.

Rezatron is offline Banned for aggressive behaviour toward members, moderators and admin. Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rezatron

2nd - As I think I've mentioned earlier, my right thumb is getting really sore, and my hand is cramping up after a while. Right now, that's the biggest reason I don't play longer than I do; I get to where I simply can't keep going.
    Change thrust to the one of the shoulder buttons (preferably digital r1/l1). Other than that, this game has a steep learning curve (depending on what you want to do) and the best way to improve is to just keep on playing... and playing and playing. I think you will ultimately find the game very rewarding but it requires a lot of hours.

edit: PLazarou beat me to it
    Last edited by Rezatron; 14th February 2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: msg delay

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

When in a race I find that I stare unblinkingly at the screen and my eyes start to dry out. That leads to a burning/stinging in my eyes. Blink at the wrong time in this game and you're toast.~Patrick
    I love that statement! This alone totally defines wipEout

Keep at it, Patrick, in a couple of weeks you'll be cruising and laughing at your starting troubles!
    Oh and welcome to the 'Zone!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I've been playing Wipeout for 15 years since when we only had the original D-Pad and L1R1 triggers for control.
    I've tried the alternatives with the PS3 controllers and get hand cramps if I have all my fingers spread out around the controller, that's with using the sticks for steering and L2R2 for the air brakes,which judging by what you posted sounds like your setup.

Try using the D-Pad & L1R1 air brake setup,plus adjusting your air brake sensitivity to 70%.[less % = more sensitive in wipeout]you might find it less painful on your hands,plus you might find steering easier with the D-Pad [?]
    You haven't said which racing view you are using ,Close,Far or Internal,which is something else you might want to test out [a lot of the old timers use internal,mainly for the most realistic feeling of speed ,plus you get a more immediate feeling for the different handling of each craft and any air brake adjustments you make]

2 tips.
    A the start you have a countdown,if you slam on the X button exactly when it reaches GO! you will get a boost start.

If you think of wipeout in a musical sense,like playing a guitar, it is easy to pick up and become good at it.
    The tracks are your sheet music [song] and always stay the same,the different speed classes are different tempos,the craft are your instruments.
    A barrel roll is like using a tremolo arm,air brakes like hammer-on's or pull-off's, and side shifts like a string bend.
    Once you have chosen your instrument [craft] and set it up [controller]you then start to learn the song,once you know it and can play it fluently you can the improvise and make it your own.

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

To be honest if youve gone for a ship with excellent handling and your playing it on Venom, that could be a problem as well. I use Harimau on Phantom and I have a tendancy to oversteer with that every now and again, ive got to be quite light with the controls. Maybe try a ship like Auricom to see if less handling helps you take the lines better. You could always change to another better handling ship as you move up the speed classes.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Loopan2k

Just try to squeeze in a barrel roll where ever you can.

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

I completely understand the difficulties that you are having Patrick, as I experienced similar problems when I first played HD. I'd been out of the Wipeout saga for a while, not having played Pure and Pulse and needed to get used to things again.

The best advice I can give is to practice a few races with Pilot Assist on until you learn the tracks and can consistently win.

After that, you'll be ready to take the plunge and turn it off. Your knowledge of the track from having Pilot Assist on will help you greatly here. When turning, use a combination of the analog stick or D-Pad (whichever you find easier,) and the airbrakes. Remember not to press down on the airbrakes so much if the turn is only slight.

I know this may seem a bit confusing and a lot to take in, but keep trying and I guarantee that you wil improve and grow to love this game as I did.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

I agree in finding a slightly less handling ship. The AG-SYS can be quite a bit twitchy little thing and hard to keep on a straight line.

Maybe more stable craft like Assegai or Mirage will suit you better in the very hard beginning? They have the extra bonus that they're a bit faster in a straight line as well

Good luck on your practice, and with PA off, look forward to that achievement it feels like when your hear "Perfect Lap" for the first time!

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    You mean Lance is professor X ?
    No, that's me! Or maybe Darkdrium.

Seriously, though, Patrick, WO is a very unforgiving game at the beginning, but eventually you'll start getting it. I agree with the other posters who recommend doing Speed Laps as you get a feel for each course. Speed Laps to get ready, then Single Race against opponents, then Time Trials as you perfect your technique.

Also, I find some courses to be harder than others. I can't place above third on Novice in Sebenco Climb at any speed class... it's just impossible! Yet I can get the gold in Novice in just about everything else, including supposedly-tough courses like Chenghou Project, and even have a few Elite golds here and there. If one course is really frustrating you, move on to another one -- you don't need to get all golds in an event to move on to the next one; you just have to get most of them.

The game doesn't do a good job of explaining how the sensitivity works -- lower is more sensitive. And I like L1/R1 for airbrakes because you can press the button instantly, unlike the analog L2/R2 which take an extra fraction of a second to press down. Or you could assign L1 or R1 to thrust -- I did this in Fusion and it worked great. Good controls that you can handle easily are all-important -- I never placed above 4th or 5th in any race in the original Wipeout, and then I picked it up again a decade later and did just fine with an analog controller. (Still looking for my first first-place finish, though!)

The EG-X and Assegai handle very well IMO, but if you're getting banged around, their shields might not be enough. The Feisar is good for beginners but is slow; it can be frustrating to see other ships always out of reach ahead of you. Find a ship you like, with controls you like, and start practicing!
    Last edited by Xavier; 15th February 2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: HTML tag fix

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

Ahh, I remember my first time playing WipeOut. It was the Wip3out demo on the cover disc of one of those PlayStation magazines. Hated it! No matter what I did, my ship (the taxi! would turn right into the side of the track and scrape along for a bit before exploding. Worst game ever! Then at some point something just "clicked" and I managed to steer pretty well, even doint the bendy bits underground on that demo track (which name I have forgotten) without hitting the walls.

I usually play with the left thumb leaning forward on the left analog stick, then just gently push it to the side as I turn. Try that if you aren't allready; placing my thumb on top of the analog stick is too "wobbly" for me, and I dislike the directional buttons because they are too far apart. You might want to set pitch to motion control if you do this though. Playing like this, I usually "steer" all the time, even when going straight. By that I mean I never let go of the analog stick, I always keep it pushed forward. Soon you will find that your thumb sort of automatically controls the ship along the track, kinda like driving a car. You look at the road up ahead, and your hands control the wheel and you don't "think" too much about it.

Learn to airbrake at sharp turns (not so useful at venom maybe, but get into the habit of using them and learn to control the pressure). Sideshifting is also useful for avoiding walls in those "oh sh!t" moments (double tap the airbrakes). Hitting the walls means a major drop in speed, so try to avoid that at all cost. You can also sideshift while turning. Do a few laps and just practice these things, then incorporate them into your racing; it's a lot easier than it sounds.

You don't have to push X so hard, just find a comfortable position and let your thumb rest on it (that's why you set the sensitivity so low; even if you just gently touch it you get max effect). You can always set the thrust to some other, more confortable, button. If you are new-ish to console controllers you will likely need some time to get used to them. If you have very big or small hands you might want to concider getting a different controller.
    I have small hands and struggle with the xbox-controller. I get pretty bad pains around the knuckles at the base of the fingers from reaching "around" the controller all the time.

Don't be afraid to blow up the leading ship *wink* Rockets, quakes, plasmas, BOOM, right up the rear. Don't forget to wave as you fly past them. Oh and drop some mines in their face if you've got them.

Also... relax! I am at my best when I am relaxed; comfortable sitting position, elbows resting on something, trying not to think too hard - just go with the flow. Observe and react, don't over-think it.

Umm, that's what I got for now. Let us know how it goes!

Timezone
    GMT -8

Quote Originally Posted by Z°ⁿε View Post
    Just try to squeeze in a barrel roll where ever you can.
    Question: What's the deal with barrel rolls? Well, besides the fact that they're fun, is there a practical reason for doing them?

~Patrick

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Default Moderator Message

This thread has covered a lot of ground that has been answered before and is more along the lines of other recent threads than the title suggests it should be. Please use the search function. Also read Hellfire's FAQ here:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6308

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/938148/57613

Also, as it's not lead to any actual discussion about whether Novice AI is actually too easy, I'm probably going to merge it with another general beginner help thread, just as soon as I find the right one. That way all these tips, difficulties and frustrations can be shared in one place.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

Default ...

I too have been revisiting my first time playing WipeOut since recently getting my friend into it. "Ooo what do I do? What do I set my sensitivities at? What ship do I use? When do I sideshift?" There is far more distance and material than I ever remember covering. I suppose I got too riled up in him enjoying and relishing in his first victories, awesome recoveries and whatnot to realize he had Pilot Assist on this entire time. And suddenly, he's playing the game for the first time again. Ugh!

Remembering the tracks, where the BRs (barrel rolls) are, making your lines; It is frustrating! I'm sure. It was when I did it, and it is as my friend's going through it. But like Temet says, be proud you're off Pilot Assist. Sure training wheels were cool, but the two-wheelers are where it's at!

Everyone's storytelling and helpfulness is always a pleasure to read, and something of a treasure in Wipeout HD that can go unnoticed if you let it, by not giving yourself the chance to play with these fantastic pilots here on WipeoutZone. Friends to be made, rivalries, a wealth of things to keep you coming back to this game for more. I especially loved your time capsule of a post Blackwiggle. 15 years is a lot of wipeouting (v.)!

There are going to be two things that come at you during this game Patrick, frustrations, and wondrous moments. And one is never far from the other. You will win races that get your heart pounding and you will explode in first place, meters before a finish line.

Buenas Suerte, and roll with the changes!

yours truly,

HML

just keep playing and it will become easy...in six months you will do elite and win most times..

i was crap when i started and when i finally beat event 3 on novice i thought i would go online to show the world how hot i was ...lol..idnt quite work out..

but i was persistant and i did the whole lot in the end cos as the other have said, practice and read all the top tips the pros have put here...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

Question: What's the deal with barrel rolls? Well, besides the fact that they're fun, is there a practical reason for doing them?

~Patrick
    You get a speed boost, like if you were to race over a speed pad. Oh btw, you are hitting as many speed pads as possible, yes? You are aiming for last place if you don't ^^

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Some people mentioned these briefly, but I figured I'd expand on them a bit.

In regards to control, I am the same as you, if I use the X button for thrust, I generally have trouble. My current set-up for a controller is R1 for thrust, L1 for fire weapon. X for left airbrake, O for right airbrake. Makes it much easier for me that way.

I also use d-pad for steering, but that is 100% a personal preference. I learned WO on the PS1 and can't bring myself to use a joystick.

Keep pilot assist off. At first it's tough, but the PA slows you down a lot and makes it hard to learn how to play the game. Riding the edge of the track is impossible and taking turns tight is also not happening with it on.

Turn motion assist off for now if you haven't already.

Try not to worry about pitching the craft up/down much at this point. Focus on making the turns with airbrake and sideshift for now. You want to learn how to steer before you learn how to fly.

Some general racing tips.
    Novice is not too bad. At first I would suggest not trying to focus too much on using weapons. Use the ones that require no thought or aim. Absorb the machine gun for example, but definitely use Quake and turbo. That way you can focus on just getting around the course.

As others have said, speed lap is good to learn the game on. Plus, I think there is a trophy for completing a 99 lap speed lap session. So there is that if you're into that kind of thing.

Zone is a fun break if you want to just play. Let's you focus just on steering and nothing else.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Quote Originally Posted by Rubix42 View Post
    I also use d-pad for steering
    How do you set that up? I tried several times, but I couldn't figure it out.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

You just use the d-pad. Nothing special needs to be done that I can remember. If there is though, you would want to go into the options menu and tweak the control options.

Although if you have one, I highly recommend trying to play with a arcade stick. The arcade stick offers a very nice degree of control but takes a while to get used to.

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

How are you getting on Patrick, is there any of the advice youve been given that youve found useful?

Timezone
    GMT -5

I don't know if Patrick is finding anything useful, but I certainly am .

The only thing I'm confused about is the Thrust. Some on here seem to say that you should NEVER let go of the thrust, but even when using a feisar on rapier or phantom speeds, I can't make certain turns with just the stick and the airbrakes. I just can't make them without letting go of the acceleration for a few secs. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 22nd February 2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: deleted question with its own dedicated thread