Thread: Ship unlocks

Default Ship unlocks

Hi,
    I was wondering if I'm missing something with the ship unlocks as I make my way through the campaign. It seems that loyalty unlocks a new paint-job but only for the inferior of the two ship options. Each team seems to have two ships but one is simply a slightly enhanced version of the other so it seems that what is the point of presenting the inferior one as an option?

Perhaps I am missing something, but it seemed to me that the second option for each team has a few percent bonus on a couple of stats (the red bar) so these nice unlocks go wasted.

Also - do better ships get unlocked at any stage or just new paint-jobs?

Cheers for any advice.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IDReaper

The ships along the bottom are the classic HD ships, the ones along the top are the Fury expansion versions. To unlock skins in HD all you have to do is gain loyalty points with the team. However for the Fury expansion you must progress through the Fury campaign to unlock their alternative skins. After completing a certain number of Fury missions you will unlock the second skin, then the last when you complete the Fury campaign.

Also don't let the stats fool you, the HD ships are still very much top notch performers and I prefer many of them to their Fury counterparts. It is all about feel, .5 extra speed isn't really going to make that much difference. I pilot classic Assegai instead of Fury most of the time for example I prefere the handling and the 'lightness' which it feels Assegai lost with it's Fury version.

Good luck hope I could be of some help =D

PSN ID
    PLazarou

Very true, I still prefer using HD ships, despite the fact most of the Fury ones look smarter and are theoretically faster. I enjoy being the only 1 out of 8 players in an online race without the 'F' logo next my ship - it makes winning all the more satisfying.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

echoing the sentiment, I was actually ever so slightly offended when I read "inferior" lol

I appreciate this topic though, because unlocking stuff is the only thing I really have left in the game since I can't play online right now; I was getting annoyed with trying to unlock some of the newer ship skins without any success >_<

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

Am I mistaken, or does the computer choose Fury ships if you do too?

If that's true, then you don't gain anything by choosing a Fury ship in single races or tournaments, because your rivals get the same advantages.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@Xavier: Very true.

@PaleKing: The differences between the HD and Fury crafts start to count if you
    and your opponent move their craft on its limit. In general, on a perfect race,
    Harimau+ and Icaras+ are way faster then most other crafts. Currently I use
    AG-SYS, but I know that I can go faster just by using AG-SYS+, Harimau+, or
    Icaras+. However, most races are not decided by the stats of your craft. A good
    racing line, a clean race (perfect laps), and a good pick-up utilization is what
    makes the difference most of the time. I'm pretty satisfied if I was able to
    moved the craft around the track for about 5 laps without doing any mistakes
    myself. And that's also my one and only priority, to keep the amount of mistakes
    at a bare minimum. Doing this leads to many victories no matter which craft you
    are riding! Btw; Welcome to the WipeoutZone!

Nice one, thanks for the replies. It was the difference between the two ships for each team available at the start of the HD campaign that had me puzzled. All the loyalty unlocks seem to be for the slower of the two options. I played Wipeout and 2097 on the PS1 and loved it so was pleased to see the old designs in this version but all the old designs seem to be of the slower version of each model.

I'm sure that you are right when you say that cutting a fine racing line is a bigger factor than a few percent in speed and I've still got a long way to go to accomplish that.

Cheers

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

I would take the Fury designs with a grain of salt... if the Wipeout series isn't dead after what happened at SL, I'm pretty sure the "standard" ship designs will remain as time progresses... I consider the XL/2097 models the most appropriate for each of the 5 teams, and for the most part, the models have stayed similar... except for Auricom, good lord I dont know what happened to them lol Piranha and AG-Sys both lost their double-blade nose but still have the same kind of style.