Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was WHD the only reason you bought a PS3?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Default Was WHD the only reason you bought a PS3?

Others have mentioned this and I know I'm one. I'm curious to see how many there are.

Edit: I'm looking for people who would probably not have bought a PS3, if it did not have Wipeout HD.
    Last edited by Koleax; 29th January 2010 at 07:50 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

This game and Gran Turismo 5.

That said, those games, as well as Ridge Racer 7, MotorStorm PR, Gravity Crash, and GT5P have provided plenty of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Koleax View Post
    Others have mentioned this and I know I'm one. I'm curious to see how many there are.
    Nope. But it was one of the main reasons i bought one and it is currently the only game i play on my PS3.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

No, I bought it because it was shinier than the other consoles. But it's the only game I still play, other than when I force myself through others just so that I don't feel guilty about having potentially wasted money on them, i.e. Prince of Persia recently...actually, even having played all the way through that it was still a waste of money for me.:-

Compared to the thrill of a tense tournament, or that insanely intense last lap of a potentially awesome TT...well that's just it, nothing in any other game compares to the feeling of those, not in my book at least.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

It was certainly the main reason I went for it. I've got plenty of stuff now both on Blu-Ray and PSN that justified it, but there was the factor of PSX/PS2 backwards compatibility that sold it for me on top of the new library. Feels nice to have one console sitting here instead of two as well

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

YES. EXCLUSIVELY FOR WIPeOUT HD FURY... I also own LBP and MGS4 but they don't count as they were gifts from my GF... I dont own any other games, and I only ever play WipEout... SO YAH... I'm that guy also... gut me while your at it

EDIT: just read Hellfires post above mine, and yeah - the BluRay thing was also a factor in getting the PS3, I now own a few BluRay dvdees so I guess all is not lost still sad though
    Last edited by ACE-FLO; 29th January 2010 at 07:49 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

I'm looking for people who would probably not have bought a PS3, if it did not have Wipeout HD.

Yeah, Ace! I even bought two, because my first one YLOD'ed.

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Sheesh, You serious Koleax? Damn, now thats hardcore commitment, I commend you Sir!

Yeah, I used to play Pulse a lot online on the PSP (obviously) but I did something pretty stooopid - I went CFW and couldnt go online ever since, so first thing I did was get a WipEout HD Fury on BluRay disc, and then went and got me a PS3 the next day... that was me mate. Havent even picked up Pulse since I got me PS3... if it broke though, I'd just get an xbox 360 live coz I couldnt justify a spend of £250 for another console that really wont develop/deliver the game I want in future (wipEout), but who knows eh? Someoen out there has got to think its worth investing in wipEout, it's a masterpiece - and that is reason alone to not let it get lost to the archives of computer game classics... rather a modern claasic which always feel contemporary - and cutting edge all in one. That is wipEout!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

ACE, I already told you, just f*cking upgrade your PSP like a classical update and you'll get you online pulse back!

I recently bought a PS3 and it was for WOHD. This is my only game.
    I also bought a PSP (well, 2) some months ago for both WO.
    I also bought "Crisis Core : FF7" and "FF Dissidia" as I used to be a FF fan. Kind of disapointed on "CC" but I admit "Dissidia" is a totally original kind of game so I'm happy to have it. I bought GOW on PSP but it sucks... didn't play it a lot.

Honestly, when I bought the PS3, I also thought to blurays (don't have one yet but waiting for amazon to deliver 2 from US (incredibly cheaper than in my stupid country)) and to FF13. From what I read, I probably won't buy FF13 (I want a world map, more liberty and strategic fights).
    I'm waiting Amazon UK to deliver "Batman AA" also (again, price is half compared to France...). But I won't touch it before I get platinum on WOHD . I always liked the Batman character and the game is said to be good.
    I keep an eye on "Heavy rain" also, don't know what to expect.

If WOHD would have been on XBox, I would have bought a XBox. I would probably have bought a PS3 one day even without WOHD.

That's my story man

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

I did, dude - its bricked! no matter, HD FURY forever... or until they turn the servers off! gah!

the only reason i bought a ps3? no
    one of the reasons? yeah
    i bought a ps3 for the following games (plus the reason i am a loyal sony fan, and i hate microsoft...): final fantasy xiii, metal gear 4, gt5 , wipeout.

oh, btw wipeout pure was the reason i bought a psp at launch (back in sep 2005...)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

"Was WHD the only reason you bought a PS3?" Yes.

I subsequently bought;
    - Gravity Crash - because Tim Wright did the music
    - Noby Noby Boy - because the Katamari games were fun
    - Super Stardust - because I liked Geometry Wars on 360
    - Pixel Junk Eden - amazing when you're drunk/high
    - Katamari Forever - see Noby Noby Boy... Katamari Forever sucks though, every bit as disappointing as the PS3 itself
    and I genuinely don't think I bought anything else for it.

Seriously, if it weren't for Wipeout HD, I would never have bought the PS3. I think it is a terrible product; poorly designed, no fore-sight at all during development, not user-friendly, the list goes on for ages.

I don't even care about the blu-ray BS; I was personally hoping HD-DVD would "win the war" because every movie on HDDVD was on average $10-$15 cheaper than its BR equivalent. I just download all my movies now in high-def.

Edit: didn't buy Stardust after all, but I meant to.
    Last edited by AG-wolf; 30th January 2010 at 02:35 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phaeton_pl

I played Wipeout on my friends PS3 about one year ago. That was my first contact with WO series so flying on Venom with pilot assist on was pretty hard.
    Few weeks later I was impressed with game physics, i've noticed that the game experience gets better with player's skills. I was lost to Wipeout already

I bought my PS3 in March 2009 to play Wipeout HD. It's the only game i have since. (I played other PS3 games but didn't like them)

I was thinking about buying PS3 before but i probably wouldn't do it.

no but wohd was the only reason i played on my brothers ps3.
    a game where the playing complimented my music i listen too.no other game that caters to music as well.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I walked straight by the PSP near the time it launched without a car, until I saw "Wipeout" on a tiny little disc.... I walked out with a PSP and Wipeout Pure - the ONLY title I bought for it.

I bought a PS3 for Final Fantasy 13, Ace Combat (never happened) and Wipeout.

Launch PS3 died - bought another to continue my addiction.

So yes, my PS3 is only for HD. That and Folding @ Home to keep my room warm in the winter...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

No, but 90% of my ps3 gaming time has been spent on wipeout hd.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Definitely. The only other game I've played since I got the PS3 is flOw which is almost as visually (and aurally) stunning as WipEout HD. WipEout4ever!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DeepMix

actually no, i bought it for the gran turismo franchise and some other games, i didnt even know a wipeout was going to be released, i saw trailers and everything, i never imagined i would love this game so much.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DarkseidMD

Yes, Wipeout and the fact that PS3 is a Blu-ray player are the only reasons I even bought the system...and Wipeout HD was far more enjoyable than I had imagined it would be.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by DarkseidMD View Post
    and Wipeout HD was far more enjoyable than I had imagined it would be.
    "Is" !!