Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: SL redundancies and the future [if any] of HD

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

What the f**k.

Wow. Can't believe it. Thanks for that sony, you ****s.

i agree with everyone here...
    everyone who worked at SL and is reading this thank you guys ,
    you made us happy with your games (wipeout series, the amazing f1 '97...)
    good luck in your life and dont give up!

PSN ID
    drMannevond

Wow! Just fu***ng wow! Psygnosis has been a part of my life since my first C64. I can still remember being excited about Shadow of the Beast and Destruction Derby. I still remember the first time I played WO2097 and deciding on the spot to buy a playstation. That was the game that made me the hardcore Sony fanboy I was until today.
    To everyone at Studio Liverpool (and Psygnosis) : Thank you for the greatness you have brought to my TV over the years, and I wish you all the best possible future.
    To Sony : F*** **U!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

@PS: I dunno... remember, although they were an arm of Sony technically back in 95, Psygnosis was the one who owned the IP, otherwise the first two games would never have found their way to the Saturn, nor would the N64 have gotten its own game. I suppose it's possible when Sony sorta took full control of Psygnosis (circa WO3?), they may have claimed the series.

When I think back over the past couple years, I think it's funny how so many people lauded their beloved Sony and PS3 when I was one of the sole 360 supporters here on the forum... I got a lot of BS from people, and both Microsoft and the 360 were on the receiving end of a lot of undue negativity- but if nothing else, whether you still think the 360 is garbage or whatever, you can't say microsoft has made any mistakes this generation other than just trying to rush their console out to meet launch demand (resulting in RROD/E74); they've delivered on promises, supported and encouraged their creative teams, continually improved their services and product, and they haven't once removed capabilities of their hardware or scaled things back. Even if you don't like MS and the 360, you have to respect them as a solid and identifiable presence in the gaming scene... and it's a welcome scenario considering how much Sony has fouled things up after the PS2.
    Last edited by AG-wolf; 29th January 2010 at 10:27 PM.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Yeah, AG-WOLF, I can respect that mate! Especially the way MS supports 3rd party games developers... something Sony coulda learnt from

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
    OMG this is terrible news, but as ProblemSolver said, Wipeout still exists,
    let's hope that talented fans of the game will bring the project back to life.
    In the meantime we'll just have to play Wipeout HD for a few years.
    I will hope in this ....
    For Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool:

INFINITE THANKS!
    THANKS TO YOU GUYS!
    For all these years I have been a fan of WipEout since the first time I've played WipEout 2097...I really love this game and it will be a part of my soul for eternity.
    You've created more than a simple game, a real experience and all of you, guys, have introduced a new game conception: a real virtual reality!
    And you, Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool, are the one and only that have created this experience!
    Don't bring down your heads, but stand up your pride!

Still Spread Your Wings, Psygnosis!

This is worst action ever maked by....the hateful one....Sony! WE HATE YOU ALL!
    From today I will never be a Sony supporter anymore: F**K OFF!

EDIT: Oops! A tear from my eye, this is very sad!
    Last edited by XpanDrome2097; 29th January 2010 at 10:38 PM.

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Xpandrome2097 - They not listening they never did listen, did they? Sony are deaf to us, they probably are deaf to all mouths, except for the ones which show them £$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$ na am saying? shame huh!

Quote Originally Posted by ACE-FLO View Post
    Sony are deaf to us, they probably are deaf to all mouths, except for the ones which show them £$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$ na am saying? shame huh!
    Oh ACE, at least a time in my life: f**k money !
    For the staff: sorry for the bad language, but am very sad/frustrated for this notice, is the worst notice ever listened!
    Is a realized nightmare, can't you understand ?
    By the way, am very sad: it's not very different from a goodbye to one of your best friends...

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

We all feel the same bro, all feel the same as you do.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Rain over paradise.

Who ever thought this would happen, esp. after getting such an awesome
    DLC just half a year ago? wtf?!

i am sad for SL..fat cats at sony protect their profits by axing the talent that put them their..

Timezone
    GMT -5

Could somebody give me a tl;dr version of what is going on here?

Lemme see if I've got this right since I'm just now reading up on this thread... Studio Liverpool is laying off a bunch of people so WipEout HD development has gone to basically nil, and somehow Sony is involved? I'm not quite sure what "sweeping redundancies" means. This all sounds awful though.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Redundancy = Layoff in Euro-Speak.

Sony more or less owned Studio Liverpool (formally Psygnosis) - and from what I now understand, gutted / shut it down nearly entirely. So the team who developed Wipeout HD/Fury no longer works for Sony Studio Liverpool.... and most of them, no longer have work, period.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Ah, thanks for clarifying, IH8YOU. That does suck, big time. I'm so sad this game doesn't have more support, because it certainly deserves it. Hats off to the SL team who have given me high speed, high energy entertainment since my early childhood. Best of luck to you all!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DeepMix

i feel really bad, i didnt saw this new until kyonshi told me about it.... as much as i would like another wo i cant think they will release another one an awesome game much better than most of the games in this generation is dying i think if they would gave it a good publicity it would have sold more and maybe the studio never had closed.

thanks SL thank you so much for all those games u have made, hope all your mates at work find another job, sony is really a !$%$%" for this -_-

i think ill buy the bluray version of wipeout hd fury now more than ever

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Thanks to Psygnosis and Now Studio Liverpool for the awesome games they gave us. Best wishes for the victims of the redundancies, i hope they'll find quickly great opportunities.
    Regarding the Wipeout series destiny, i remember how i was disapointed when the fighter serie "tobal" ends, despite it was the best game from far in his category ! Some historical sony/psx games still remains, like tekken, but now those games are overtaken by the competition. This is not the case for wipeout, the HD version is awesome, it's a snap in the face of gt, forza, nfs...
    I stay convinced that wohd sold very well regarding the total lack of promo.
    I hope that a guy, less dumb than the others at Sony, will take the good decision about the serie !

Timezone
    GMT + 12

This sucks . WipEout HD is everything a downloadable game should be, unlike lots of the crap on the PSN (tower defence style games etc), and its DLC isn't blatantly stealing people's money for what should be free.

Sad days. My best wishes to my boys and girls of SL.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

It may perhaps be a good time for some of the former members of SL to write down
    how it was to be there as long as their memory is fresh, how the studio and
    WipEout HD has evolved over time, problems and solutions you guys were going
    to face and have solved better then initially thought, or just tell some
    interesting stories nobody knows. It would be quite pleasing to know how
    everything came together, and it would kinda serve the documentation about the
    Wipeout universe and the people evolved. In 10 years from now, these information
    will be hard to find, if ever.

A new thread within the Off-Topic section about the history of Studio Liverpool
    would keep the memories, about the people who took part in the creation of
    WipEout HD, a life. I would highly appreciate that. Take your time....

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quote Originally Posted by ACE-FLO View Post
    Mate, if only eh?
    I wanted to work at SL. Looks like that ain't happening.....