Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SL redundancies and the future [if any] of HD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

I would be really interested in this as well.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

They've essentially got rid of most of the senior programmers, producers, and other assorted members of the development team there.

AFAIK the lead on WipEout HD, Matt Brooks is still there, but they aren't going to be making any games for the foreseeable future.

Development was destined to be moved to a new, purpose built premises that would house the folk from Evo and Studio Liverpool anyway, so with that on the road map it's pretty much the end of development at Studio Liverpool for ever.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I said it in the other post in the off topic section.

I reckon the evil twin has had a lot to do with this.
    I can well imagine SCEA has said,look these games aren't popular in the USA so let's close the SCEE based studios down that make them.
    Then we at SCEA can make more mindless FPS ,just what the world doesn't need.
    Except in the USA obviously.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

SCEA had **** all to do with it.

Mick Hocking, boss of Evo had everything to do with it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Here's the Bio of the accused.
    With photo,so you know who to punch.

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Hocki...410084540.aspx

sad news...
    i hope wipeout series dont die and will be treated as it deserves!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Saddest day ever for all the playstation fans. One of the best development studio in gaming industry wiped out, this is just awful. Hope there's a billionaire around, who's reading this new... Gah. The Wipeout franchise can't die like that. That makes no sense.

Thanks Sony, you f****d up my day.
    Last edited by kanar; 29th January 2010 at 12:29 PM.

PSN ID
    il_Nik - il_nonno_nanni - francygirl - no_stame_tocar

Thank you for all you have built for all of us (Studio Liverpool)

Timezone
    GMT -5

I just realized this....

Dear Sony - you killed off the last reason for me to own a Playstation console. So you can keep your PS4, 5, 6 or 20 - and shove it up your @$$, as I've got no use for them now.

What still makes me want to kick them in the face - they never - once - ever - EVER - EVER - EVER aired a single *@($ing advertisement here. Seriously - WTF were you guys thinking?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

If that really means the end for WipEout … well then … it rocks! – NOT.

At least they still have their jobs. That doesn't save the franchise, but at least the people who brought WipEout to (new) fame.

EDIT:
    I Though that the people are "only" moved to other Studios. Seems like I got something wrong here. That's even more shĂ*t. Well done, Sony, well done. You fĂșcked it up.
    Last edited by Sausehuhn; 29th January 2010 at 08:41 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by kanar View Post
    ... The Wipeout franchise can't die like that. ...
    It won't. The codebase, owned by Sony, isn't lost. We may probably now have
    to wait for about three to four years to hear any news of Wipeout again. Luckily,
    the game is solid the way it is, despite some additional patches would had been
    very welcome.

I just question myself what will happen to all the WipEout HD 3-D stuff shown on
    certain trade-shows?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    il_mago_di_Doz

Are we sure that the wipeout serie is definetly dead?

In that case I could just quote this man:
    Quote Originally Posted by IH8YOU View Post
    I just realized this....

Dear Sony - you killed off the last reason for me to own a Playstation console. So you can keep your PS4, 5, 6 or 20 - and shove it up your @$$, as I've got no use for them now.

What still makes me want to kick them in the face - they never - once - ever - EVER - EVER - EVER aired a single *@($ing advertisement here. Seriously - WTF were you guys thinking?
    EDIT: I just read now your post ProblemSolver. Three to four years are definetly tooo much for me...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Wipeout will never be dead, its concept is pretty clear and can be refreshed
    any time. Three to four years is a long time, granted, but there are so many
    other sequels where people waited the same amount of time, or even longer,
    to get their hands on again.

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    Just to clarify - of the people from Studio Liverpool who have ever posted on this forum, none now remains an employee of Sony.

So that probably brings to an end the interaction we've enjoyed with the developers over the years.
    So I hope some of those come over here again and tell a little about how it was
    to develop for WipEout HD.
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 29th January 2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spell

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Meanwhile Sony has just posted a $1.1 bill profit for the Oct -Dec quarter.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTOE60Q0B620100127

Very hateful notice.
    Am very sad for this ...

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    It won't. The codebase, owned by Sony, isn't lost. We may probably now have
    to wait for about three to four years to hear any news of Wipeout again.
    Mmmhh, am not very happy if a new WipEout will be released from some new minds...because I think that only the actual (or "past", brrr...) staff has the right ideas to make this game unique and flawless.
    Ok, probably am a fanatic, but this is my idea.
    Is Wipeout dead...?Mmmhh, I hope to be wrong...

Dear Sony....now you can create all the next-gen playstations, 4, 10, and 50000....but...I will be impassive.
    This is a very bad notice...
    Last edited by XpanDrome2097; 29th January 2010 at 02:35 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

The next Need for speed is developed by Criterion, so same thing could happen to wipeout... But as PS said, it won't happen tomorrow. And I'm wondering which one of Sony's internal studio could handle that.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

When I first heard news of Wipeout HD, I went all the way to the Apple Store so that I could download the 1080p trailer and it looked like there were angels here on Earth setting everything right. The world made sense again. People were making great things and one of them was called "Wipeout HD."

I didn't pay attention to the PSP at all so I didn't realize that there had been other Wipeout games since Fusion. Over the past year and a half I was getting used to the idea that Wipeout was alive again, but I tried not to get too attached. The signs of a downfall were there, starting from the cheap price and on to the ads. Those sorts of decisions could not sustain a franchise.

To any outgoing employees who worked on this masterpiece, and not involved in the purely destructive business decisions outlined above, bravo. You deserve every accolade. Wipeout HD is one of the most beautiful works of art ever created and will be a source of fun for me and so many others for years to come.

If you are looking for some extra money to get you by in your transition between jobs, I would buy your copy of the preview version of Wipeout HD that included the original Zone mode sent to magazines and other members of the gaming press. There may be a lot of Wipeout HD paraphernalia that you guys might want to get rid of and I'm sure you'd find a lot of members here would happily give them a home. But let's make sure that preview version is not lost!
    Last edited by Koleax; 29th January 2010 at 03:17 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

OMG this is terrible news, but as ProblemSolver said, Wipeout still exists,
    let's hope that talented fans of the game will bring the project back to life.
    In the meantime we'll just have to play Wipeout HD for a few years.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

wait, what? this is NOT really happening right? FFS, i only just got the ps3 a few months back, and only for HD FURY... the leaderboards not updating was shite as it was but i bit my lip and carried on, hoping a future update would fix it... Now i'm led to believe that no update will be forthcoming. And to top it all off - now this. No more wipEout games... not for a long while... (if ever )

... i'm gonna get an xbitch live 360, i'll even swap my ps3 for it. Least xbox don't leave its customers feeling like mugboys

EDIT: Sorry, i ranted off a bit... i'm fine now, but still a lil upset at this whole new situation.
    Last edited by ACE-FLO; 29th January 2010 at 03:30 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

The Xbox community is buying into PS3 now the slim has come out and you want to change to Xbox because of one game.
    A bit extreme isn't it.

I hope some official statement comes out of somewhere regarding wipeouts future.
    This sad event is all too abrupt to leave a fan base like wipeout's in the dark

By the way Xtrito has a review copy of HD given to him as a wedding present,but it doesn't work in a standard PS3 apparently.