pass there sell buy date
    finished
    retired
    im taking a break
    i found a better game so bye bye wipeout
    im too busy to play
    im bored with game now..

etc...

to write about how taking long periods off playing or simply giving up then returnin to play effects players in different ways..

here is how it affected me..

i played tonight ..first time since end of september.prior to playing today i forgot the tracks and even most of the names.but when i put on the game and played i suddnly remembered every track all its curves even evey pad.almost like subconsious level.everything came back

but on negative side i thought venom looked like phantom to me.so my break has made the game look really quick to me and i turn too late.

i found tracks i was really good at i have lost a bit on but track i was weaker on i have lost nothing almost like i never stopped playing.

what experiences have other players had who have taken big breaks from playing...

thats how my time out effected me.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Im just terrible now.

Thats about it.

thats so weird ..i was just thinking about ..what ever happened to varti ..and you turn up a minute later..
    how are you anyway...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Good to have you back!

I had a break as well for about seven weeks till the end of December. But
    interestingly, the break made me much stronger, I'm much more competitive
    now than ever before. I've set PBs on several tracks (online) and did two new
    ZONE records (Metropia R and Modesto R) within two or three days. It seem to
    me that a given break (long enough) can smooth out a stiff pattern that has
    evolved over time in one's mind, which offers one the possibility to readjust
    certain things to become better in the end. You may perhaps experience
    something similar after about one or two weeks.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

After taking a break I've been racing with ships I hadn't before, like Qirex, Auricom, and even that Assegai with paper-thin shields. I figured if I'm going to suck anyway I might as well do it in a new, interesting, and challenging way.

HD Piranha on Eliminator is badass.

thx ps

i understand what you say and agree with you.dont really understand how but you are right about benifits of breaks in certain areas of the game.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin-jade View Post
    i found a better game so bye bye wipeout
    Blasphemy!

What is it?

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

How long/short a period of time are we talking here?

Back in my heyday (always wanted to say that ) 6hrs felt like a long break

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    I had a break as well for about seven weeks till the end of December
    January has more than 7 weeks

PSN ID
    Mister_Mateo

I "retired" after Fury was released... long time ago. Just played now and then when I was stoned and very bored.

But I guess I'm coming back in February. Old Feisar. Old Tracks. **** Fury.

PSN ID
    MR-RICO84

Unhappy

Just got back into it after getting sucked in to KZ2 online world for about 2 months. I look at my old times and am at least 3 seconds out. My excuse is I use full motion control so really have to be in the mood to sit bolt upright dead straight in front of the telly. Still cant get sebenco reverse for arcade perfect either AAAAAaaaaaaarrrrrrgh wimper.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Wow are there any has-beens still checking the forum that are as out of practice as me? I never even managed to pick up a PS3, I haven't hardly touched wipeout at all in probably the last year if not longer. Pretty much since I put down Pulse and sold off my PSP. Finances but mostly time are huge issues. Lots of people that have stopped playing likely find the same-you only have so much time, and eventually it comes to the point where if you keep playing WO, you have to be satisfied with sucking at it since you don't have quite enough time to keep practiced and in form. I hate to play badly, so although I could probably play about 1/4 or 1/2 hour a day (if I'm really lucky) I just don't. It's not enough time to keep in good form.

Life changes. Priorities change. No matter how much you love wipeout, people and basic necessities tend to stay the higher priority. If you let your gaming get in the way of your relationships life is gonna bite you in the...
    That's my has-been story for the day. Hope you enjoyed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Good read indeed. And true. Even though I have probably more time left, I rarely play PS3 these days. Okay, I found the time to play a bit WOHD last week; but I remember me not touching the PS3 for Weeks. It's fun to come back, though. I don't mind losing too much then, because it's the race that makes fun. And I really like turning WO's SFX to mute, playing a nice tune while rushing over some zone tracks. That's kind of relaxing.

Anyway. I ordered a Wip3out Poster today for my daily portion of WipEout. Now I only have to find a wall to put it on to, otherwise my plan won't work.

I sometimes take a few weeks or even months break as well. I find that it is easier to get back in shape by playing a few rounds of rapier before i move on to phantom speeds.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

I just started playing again over the past month after about a 5-month hiatus. I just had so many other games on my shelf that were being neglected due to my WO addiction. I figured I can ease my way back in and get a couple of hours in a week though, while still playing through the rest of the games that are sitting on my shelf. It's working out well so far and feels great to be playing WO again. After a month of playing, I finally feel like I'm coming back into form and performing like I used to. I'm not totally there yet, but close...at least I'm competitive again.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    il_mago_di_Doz

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    January has more than 7 weeks
    I think pb meant from early november to the end of december

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Who knows ? Zone addicts are living in an other dimension !

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    I "retired" after Fury was released... long time ago. Just played now and then when I was stoned and very bored.

But I guess I'm coming back in February. Old Feisar. Old Tracks. **** Fury.
    Technically, Fury AND HD are all old tracks , since they're all old wipeout track remakes

but on to the subject of taking a break for a while, i wouldnt say im washed up or a has been (still holding my WO 1 NTSC feisar TT records)
    but i dont play as often due to the fact that i have a more mature lifestyle now living with my girlfriend and having bills and things to pay to keep us living where we are. i simply cant dump hours of play into ANY wipeout game anymore. and also, there are other games out there that i enjoy playing as well, not to say they are better than wipeout but they are still fun nonetheless. i do get on once in a while though, but mostly to play offline with my older bro or when we have company at the new place.

cya around someday,
    FrostE out.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Loopan2k

I partially agree with Mateo.

Fury sorta ruined it for me.. Mainly because i liked the clean white/Blue interface on HD. But on the upside there's more to do in zones, so..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@il: Yeah, that's what I meant.

@le: There might be a ZONE dimension, who knows...? xD

@Z: You know that you can switch back to the standard HD interface, right?
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 11th February 2010 at 04:34 AM.