Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Internal" view

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    Dark-Twisted

Question "Internal" view

Anyone tried the internal view for a good amount of time?
    Usually the view from the very front of the thing you're racing in hasn't been a turn-on to me in any game, and I was expecting no different in Wipeout, mainly because of the speeds you're racing at.

Change is always a bit of fun though, so I gave it a go on phantom class, while doing my 99 laps on Metropia, and I was surprised at how easy it was... in a way it was easier, while making the game feel faster and more exciting, and I got really good... is there something wrong with me here? I might start using it more often.

Your "Internal" view: opinions?

[EDIT] I apologise for my n00bness, this should reeally be moved to The Pilots Lounge :/ mods help?
    Last edited by Dark-Twisted; 19th January 2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: mistake :/

PSN ID
    drMannevond

I'm with you on this one. Internal view feels faster, more intense and personally I find it easier to line up for cornering.
    There's not enough internal view pilots in my opinion - so keep at it

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    LurifaxFlux

Quote Originally Posted by DrMannevond View Post
    I find it easier to line up for cornering.
    I never thought about that but you're absolutely right, the external camera is always a bit delayed in turning, and internal isn't.

I never gave internal view a chance, it feels really wierd for me, but maybe I'll try it out some time.

Internal view has a different effect in different game versions, as for example between HD and WO3, so perhaps this thread should be left here in the HD section.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I've attempted to get the hang of internal view on HD a few times. It really does feel faster, more engrossing and more intense. Sadly, I've always failed. I can handle a few races but not much more. Controls feel too twitchy, whichever ship I use, and the faster speeds tend to give me a headache.

I did a comparison while doing some TT once and my results using internal view weren't bad, but they weren't nearly as good as close external view. With internal view, even when I felt I'd done a really good lap or session, the results just weren't as good as I expected. This might be due to a lack of dualshock at the time. I couldn't tell easily whether I was scraping walls, which will always be a handicap, unless you never scrape walls. I hadn't spent a massive amount of time on it, so I didn't expect amazing results, but as I said, it always felt like it went better than it actually had.

Something that I'd be intrigued to know is how certain things appear in internal view compared to external. A major thing would be the effect online when you get near a ship and get turned around from a laggy collision. I have a feeling that the effect doesn't appear nearly as drastic on the screen from internal. But without being able to see both at the same time, it's hard to tell.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    LurifaxFlux

The biggest disadvantage with internal view IMO is that you basically can't see anything while doing a barrel roll.

Lance: Exactly what do you mean with different effect?
    I tried WO3 with internal view (not cockpit), and the only difference I could see is that there are icons instead of visual effects for shield etc...
    Last edited by LurifaxFlux; 19th January 2010 at 07:37 PM.

PSN ID
    drMannevond

@SaturnReturn : I'm planning on taping the Nordic Session this Sunday. Anything outrageous that can happen during a game usually does in those tournaments.

@LurifaxFlux : Yeah, br's can be tricky with internal view, especially knowing if you get enough air or not.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

In my humble opinion internal view should be the only way to play HD. As others mention, the sensation of speed is pretty wild at times and that is really what this is all about.

I actually just tried SLing a bit on Talons Reach (rev) on internal and I got within 0.15 sec of my PB, I had to stop because I was slightly dizzy and sweating like an athlete On more BR intensive tracks I just lose it completely though.

I really wish I had started out in internal, but now I'm too set in my ways and every BR ends in a total mess

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    Dark-Twisted

Trying it out was amazing, but the problem I have is that even though it is something really good, I still won't have that edge I have on external view, but the second I switch back to external my skill level goes down a mile, I just start crashing into walls etc, and after the while it takes to recover I don't feel as good as I was at the game :/

Timezone
    GMT -5

Meh, I've never been a big fan of the internal view, it feels like I have blinders on the side and I can only see straight ahead. I like to see what is happening all around my vehicle, so farthest view ftw!

PSN ID
    drMannevond

That's true. Knowing what goes on around you can be a lifesaver, but that's why I have surround sound, so I can hear people sneaking up on me

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

My best view is external (close) but internal is WAY more fun.

I don't do as well when I use internal view but I tend not to care since I'm having fun, as opposed to just racing for the sake of it and getting far too competitive and angry when I lose

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

I can't stand "internal" view; it's really more of a bumper-mounted camera than anything else. Wipeout 3 had a real internal view, but it still rolled disorientingly. It should have rotated the cockpit window while keeping the track steady - that's how it is in real life, at any rate (you keep your head up when going around a corner on a bike). Who thought that turning everything sideways on the corners was a good idea? Those are the places where you need the best visibility.

/rant

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I've always used internal view on all the wipeout games.
    If you want to have the full immense effect of speed and danger,then it's the only way to race.

It has it's draw backs and advantages.

It's a shocker for BR's I agree,but with familiarity you sort of get used to it,but never quite,you basically just aim for a point in front of you and hope for the best,but if you get nudged by another craft just when turboing,or clip something while BR'ing you'd be very lucky to know where the hell you are when you land.
    Multiple BR's linked together, like you need to beat Zico ,can be a nightmare,you might as well be piloting a washing machine.

Getting hit with a long salvo of cannon fire at close range can really mess you up,imagine driving during an earthquake,the whole of your surroundings just become a rapidly shaking blur, it's hard to hold it together when that happens.

Certain tracks can be a nauseating experience,particularly if you end up having to do a lot collision avoidance, Sebenco forward is by far the worse for this, and either of the Modesto tracks come in a close 2nd & 3rd.

If your racing in the new Fury craft that tend to bounce around more than the HD ones,well getting a 3rd in a Phantom race on one of those tracks against the top pilots here is a pretty good achievement in my books.

It seems to me that in internal view you do have a slight advantage on seeing what is ahead of you,so threading your way through a crashed craft/multi craft pile up, or avoiding bombs/mines can be a bit easier [Mines on the Anulpha overpass you can usually scoot pass either side]

But then you don't have the advantage of seeing what's coming up immediately behind or to the side of you [seeing the other pilot in the cockpit of a craft coming up on the side of you,when your in internal view is something everybody should experience in HD,you feel like waving to them,it's very realistic and a lot of fun]
    As good as the HD HUD is,and it's the best proximity alert system design yet IMHO,near or far view still has the advantage.

If you ever get the chance,try playing HD/Fury in cockpit view through a projector,that's how I play it,sure it has it's draw backs,but hell it's a LOT OF FUN.
    And that's what it's all about in the end.

PSN ID
    drMannevond

@blackwiggle : Amen to everything you just said.
    Internal view maximizes the fun for me, and if that comes at the cost of missing a few br's so be it!

PSN ID
    novide

since wipeout 2097 i'm playing with internal view. maybe i would be faster with external view, but it's more fun with internal view...

I always play every racing/driving game with the "internal"/nosecam view, never cockpit or external unless no other option is offered, example: F355 Challenge which only has cockpit view available. It originated in arcades and had a front and two side videoscreens and used cockpit view only to increase the feeling of realism for an actual Ferrari on real-life tracks.

I use the headcam in all modern driving games (forza, dirt and GT) also with no driving assists and recently useing manual!!

but since WoFusion came out i have used the external views for wipeout

PSN ID
    drMannevond

I decided to test the external view in wohd today, and here's the result :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMDbNzHxVOY

I think I'll stick to internal

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I'm just as bad in that view.

I like the music,but I think this would of been a more appropriate choice considering the outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uOpk8NwFL8