View Poll Results: What Do You Thinkt The Next Wipeout Release will be?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • A New Wipeout in 2D

10 20.83%
  • A New Wipeout in 3D

4 8.33%
  • A New Wipeout released in both 2D & 3D

8 16.67%
  • Current HD/Fury remade in 3D

3 6.25%
  • DLC that upgrades current HD/Fury to 3D [use optional]

9 18.75%
  • DLC for HD/Fury [just more tracks to current]

11 22.92%
  • DLC for HD/Fury that will be 3D only tracks

0 0%
  • I'll be dead & buried before any new Wipeout release

11 22.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think there will be more HD/FURY DLC or HD3D

Timezone
    GMT -2
    PSN ID
    AurigaAB

New DLC would seem to be a great way to sell a 3D upgrade. But as for what would be a good theme, I really don't know... A "classic" DLC with older tracks and such wouldn't help bring the nostalgic/regular fans into the game (we're probably already playing HD & Fury), and has no value for newcomers. Racing is covered in HD and battle modes in Fury. What else is there to WO other than that? New modes could stretch the core of the game too thin.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a new themed DLC, even less for a whole new game in the series in the near future. But the nature of downloadable content is still in the air, so who knows...

If SL tacks a couple of new/old tracks on the 3D update, I'll be happy to fork over it-- even if I have no use for 3D.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

I would even pay $10 alone for an DLC that gives me the ability to color and
    texture my craft. I've already mentioned this a couple of times, the lack of
    personality within WipEout HD isn't very pleasing.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

+1

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

How about custom colors for exhaust trails? I'd be into that, $2-3 easy, but I'd pay $5.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

Well lets look at it like this.

-Making the tracks for HD/Fury is very intensive due to the requirement that they are avaliable for 1080p res and below. This is one reason why we got pulse tracks is because to make a brand new track from scratch would take way to long. I don't remember where it was mentioned, but this has been said. This makes an old track DLC unlikely.
    -Ships can't be nessasarly too difficult to make, fury added new looks and changed stats (although I sometimes question the stat change as real or just fake). A new team is not out of the question, and new skins for existing ships could be made. As for a custom skin lab, I'd love it but I don't think that it is possible in the 1080p code to make it viable.
    -This 3D thing is coming, and since WOHD/Fury has been kinda a PSN experiment as well as an amazing technology demo of sorts for 1080p games, further expansion to show the PS3's capability is possible. That said, this would further make any additional content like another DLC after it VERY difficult to produce.

I'd love just more 2D content, ships, tracks, skins, anything (WO "More Stuff" DLC ), but Sony needs someone to make the 3D future for the PS3, and who better then the first party developer that can make a full 1080p game?

Timezone
    GMT -6

So im guessing if 3D stuff starts getting released on ps3 im going to have to get a new tv (again) right? i mean, i dunno about alot of you, but its hard for some of us to just keep up with all this new technology, financially. I was just able to afford a new 52" Sony Bravia (W-Series) last year, and now to keep up with my games im going to have to upgrade again?! man, this is all too much too soon.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

There's no way I'm upgrading televisions. I suppose if I were in the market to buy one soon I'd wait around for a 3D capable one but I just bought one too and I'm really not sold on the whole 3D deal anyway (I must admit to not seeing it in person). I realize they got to push tech but I think I'll sit this one out.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

It does seem to be the case that the "default" TV size is much bigger than it was for decades up to now -- I've got a 21" 1080p monitor, and while the graphics are beautiful, the defaul font sizes are tiny!

ProblemSolver and Elhabib, I completely agree about ship skin customization. With online racing being such a big part of WOHD, it seems almost unfair to prevent people from creating their own looks for their publicly-viewable ships.

Wipeout has a consistent aesthetic style, though, and I wouldn't want to see people doing just anything to their ships. Maybe limiting the skinning in some way so as to retain the distinctive WO look might be best?

You can identify teams by their livery colors, so maybe those should be fixed; how about at least using some of those distinctive Wipeout fonts to let users put their own names on this ships instead of the tired old (well, to veterans, tired) slogans? Since it's a race, shouldn't the ships at least have numbers on them? WO1 had them; I'd love to slap my favorite number on the side of my ship. (F-Zero GX offered this and it looked fine.)

A downloadable ship skin customizer is definitely something I'd pay for.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

It's kinda mysterious that Studio Liverpool, a talented bunch of first party developers, don't have an announced project.

* The Formula One license is no longer held by Sony, so that's out.

* WOHD is pretty much the only "next-gen" futuristic racing game on the market for home consoles but appears to have only so-so sales to date. It is unclear what motivation SCEE has for creating a full "WOHD 2" game.

* The PSP is pretty much saturated with racing games, including two full-fledged WipEout games. What motivation is there to release a third?

From various interviews, I have the impression that SL may be involved with creation of middleware, network code, 3D display and the like that is shared with other SCEE developers. Doesn't seem like a full time job for a talented studio, though.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

F1! Man I loved that series. I had entirely forgot about it. Wasn't Colony Wars from SL also? I remember when I got my PS1 I played that all the time.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Rollcage and Destruction Derby also by Psygnosis.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Oh god please something with green hills and trees. I'm begging you.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I wouldn't mind some more natural tracks either, most of the current crop are extremely industrial, with the ones that aren't only being mostly industrial.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

I agree... if there are any more tracks, I would like them without so many lights and a bit more natural environment... Like racing through some foggy wet mountain tops or something...

The track's surface doesn't have to be as industrial either...

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

Indeed, trees would be great, as would a course that slaloms around mountain peaks -- Valparaiso was a lot of fun in the old days, as was that one in Fusion set in a mountain range with waterfalls. Even a nature-industry fusion like the setting for F-Zero GX's 'Green Plant' would be fun to pilot through. I loved how there were fallen leaves strewn around the course that would fly in the air when you flew past them.

there isn't a choice up top, so i will add it here:

-Tree's DLC

signed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Oh yeah Xavier, I miss Valparaiso so much. On topic, finger crossed for some more HD dlcs, I really hope the 3d update will be the occasion for Sony Liverpool to add content for this masterpiece; fed up to see those Tigron bilboards, they're seriously late for the next fx-350 season lol. How many dlcs that dumb game named Pain got lol, wtf. Can't imagine no more dlcs for our baby... I would like also a technical update, particularly for the online universe; a better predictive code, and of course better management in contacts between ships. Seriously, ramming costs sometimes more energy than a rocket in the ass , what's the point gah.

Rialto, Inland Empire, Southern California
    Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    someguy63-

Exclamation More teams?

I think that there will be at least two more teams for the next DLC: Tigron and Van-Uber because there are signs for those two teams in Metropia and Venita K respectively regardless of their tardiness.

It seems clear that these two teams might return to the game.

also for another dlc, I also agree that several retro courses should appear.
    Last edited by OneAVGNFan; 26th January 2010 at 03:47 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I'll do like nostradamus (or Paco Rabanne ) :
    "hmmmm...i see...i see... 2 new teams, tigron and van-uber, 2 totally new tracks, in fact 4 with the reverse versions, vohl square and arc prime, an online time trial mode, the pure's zone tracks playable on all modes..."

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I really hope for a new Wipeout! Totally new tracks, with more natural enviroments, longer tracks, made for pure racing, less weapon based and online Time Trials with 1 turbo per lap, maybe even getting the pitlane back. Less bumpy tracks, smoother up and down floathy feel with big and long jumps. Shattered tracks like Spilskinanke and Manor Top. Faster than phantom in HD and more speed sensation like in Pulse. Weather settings optional with day and night scenes too.