View Poll Results: Racing with same online level

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i am lvl20+ and i don't race with lower levels, because i prefer harder pilots

4 9.09%
  • Yes, but only with the real newbies, which are lvls 1-10

4 9.09%
  • Only counts in few cases

11 25.00%
  • Online level is just an excuse for have a decent online community. Also you level up playing only

25 56.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider the online level?

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Default Do you consider the online level?

Playing online these times i realize that those with lvl1, lvl5, lvl4... are really not experienced pilots, or at least not 'expert' hd pilots, and those with lvl over from 20 could be from almost good pilots to a veteran who is impossible to beat.

It's not the only time i quit (before starting) a race because the players has a low level and i know it will be so easy, if i was (that it was in the beginning) in their side it will be frustating to me seeing a legendary pilot winning me for over 10 seconds or maybe more.

Do you consider these low levels (if you have experience in HD) or you think it doesn't count the skill of the pilot?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

It's been discussed in various threads (I'm not sure if it's had its own yet though) and the consensus seems to be that it's more of a measure of how much time you have spent online than anything else.

I always felt it was pretty pointless, but if it makes some more people stick with the game and improve then it's fine with me. The trouble is too many people just trying to increase the rank without racing. That's irritating.

Overall I pay no attention to it in terms of who I race. I won't avoid anyone of a low or high ranking. I also think there aren't enough open games available online these days for me to be that picky with who I race against.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

I don't take care of level of players, but if i see some flags blue white red, I think the race won't be easy.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

No, I pay no attention to a person's level; nor do I think people pay attention to mine... it's still only in the 20s because I barely get an opportunity to play, yet I often find myself racing 50-70s who really aren't that good at all.

And I'll second Kaori's comment- I keep my eyes posted for french pilots, as well as UK and a few other european countries. That's how I know I'll usually have a strong challenge.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    LurifaxFlux

Agree with Saturn that it's merely a measure of time spent online.
    Although people under level 10 are usually newcomers.
    Also, it's possible to be a rather high level through eliminator and still be a terrible racer.
    I never care about my opponents level.

Wolf, I was suprized when I saw you were "only" level 20~ ^_^

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

You have a few very experienced pilots that play under more than one PSN ID's,and their online rank doesn't reflect their racing ability.
    Sinus1 is a case in point,he has about 4 or 5 different PSN ID's.
    I know of a few others like this as well.

You have others that have only recently started to return due to various problems that were caused by previous HD updates,ironically as this topic has reemerged ,I got one guy from New Zealand back playing yesterday,he didn't realize that the bug that had plagued him,and so many others, from allowing them to play with their original PSN ID's had been fixed,he had given the game up ages ago because of it.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 17th January 2010 at 02:12 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

How do you give away a PSN game? Or did that issue still exist with the BD version?

PSN ID
    Amorbis

The level system isn't very deep, so there isn't much reason to freak out when there is a level 70+ player. With WipEout HD having a smaller online community it's easier to remember people, I regard the reputation of someone in the lobby higher than their level. The same goes for the flags of reputable countries.

Of course if the levelling system was more complex people would start to take notice, but the disconnections would probably increase as a result. :/

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DarkSoul520

It never really bothered me. As Amorbis said above, the level system isn't very deep, but its nice to get an idea of how hard the race is before it starts.
    Since their really isn't a huge online player base, you can also tell very easily who plays a lot and who doesn't.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I'm surprised at people saying they look for countries. I've found it doesn't really make any difference... at least in rapier, french pilots (for example) seem as fast as anyone else in most cases.

I'm only on about level 35, but from my experience playing mainly on rapier, I can usually take on most players fairly well. Hardest pilots I can remember are fdgk, TarquinFarqour or whatever it is, and Rezatron. There are a few regular players up to the 70's or so that I find aren't that great, though usually they have at least some skill.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I suppose the flag thing does count more in Phantom, but Phantom attracts mostly people from here in the Zone. I'm not saying that Rapier people are bad, though.

Higher level players do tend to know what they're doing. You couldn't get to level 70 and be atrocious, just not as good as people who spend as much time on time trial and speed lap perfecting their lines. This is something I'm guilty of.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

The displayed level doesn't say much but one can always expect some challenge with lvl 50 phantom racers.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

The only thing I can say is that if someone with a level < 10 joins the room
    it's going to be a very difficult race, possibly bringing you to a stand still right
    at the start or messing up your entire run completely while going into the last
    lap, like it was yesterday where a level 1 guy blocked me to death after the
    lights turned off.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

@ProblemSolver: Thats funny you say that. It does happen but I think WO may be the only racing game where slower racers won't completely ruin your race ^^.
    Ok they will sometimes, but as a Motorstorm PR player I can tell you you shouldn't bother with slow players in Wipeout

I may get a little off-topic but when the issue with newcomers in Wipeout is "this is far too easy, no fun for anyone", Motorstorm's one is "man I must avoid all 6 of them of getting in that corner before me (on my ATV against their Monster Trucks)" lmao

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

I would say this would be a great option, but preferably, my main concern with the online playability of Wipeout is the Quality of the other players... Can't wait for the day when all the other players move just as smooth on the screen as AI in game...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@afuroKy:
    Yeah not all the time, but it is somehow a binary thing. If it happens, then you
    won't likely have any further chances winning the race, esp. when being brought
    to a stand still at start.

If I have a good connection to the host and another player does so as well, then
    our craft's collision is active right from the start. This can become pretty
    annoying while starting close behind, esp. if the one front misses the start or
    even takes a BREAK for one race.

At those guys taking a break; please do at least a side-shift at the start.
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 17th January 2010 at 03:32 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

There have been people at this forum who had been playing HD for roughly 6 months and still didn't know about the boost start.
    It wouldn't surprise me if some of the newer forum members were ignorant of it either,I'm pretty sure it's not mentioned in the game manual.
    The other culprit for this is when somebody is stuck in messaging ,not so bad with chat rooms thankfully, otherwise with Avalon GG's we would all be sitting on the grid.

By far the worse is when the online board is pretty sparse,and you want to race with PA off and you get no takers,so then your obliged to race with it on, and you know it's just going to be a total farce with people bouncing off the walls all over the track.

I think the ability to race with PA off at Rapier & Phantom is more of a indication of a racers ability than a high level number of somebody who can't.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Quote Originally Posted by AG-wolf View Post
    And I'll second Kaori's comment- I keep my eyes posted for french pilots, as well as UK and a few other european countries.
    Oh when he said red, white and blue I thought he was talking about the US..... No not really. Anyway I just go to a room. Seems like lately there's been a lot of lower ranked players on (that's a good thing if they indeed are new) but the skill level has been pretty impressive. There's a bit of correlation between rank and skill but you certainly can't take it as a given.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I tend not to take people under level 20 that seriously, but sometimes I'm surprised.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

Quote Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post
    Oh when he said red, white and blue I thought he was talking about the US...
    You are right in part. Blue white red can show american, dutch, uk, australia or french wipers too.