Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New WipeOut League for HD, Pure & Pulse

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

Default New WipeOut League for HD, Pure & Pulse

This league is going to be temporarily shutdown until development is finished.

YAWL will be re-opened in 4-6 months once development is finished. I will maintain all existing accounts and data.
    Last edited by TorquedSoul; 31st January 2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: league status change.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I like the site. If it can be used to help arrange matches then it will be brilliant. Organisation is often the hardest part.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

The Event scheduling tool is the main focus. I was in a league last year where time zones got in the way of organizing the matches. which is why I wanted a time scheduling feature that could handle different time zones. BTW, I fixed the the Time Zone entry problem. The registration form wasn't loading it. It was a last minute addition to the registration and I missed a line of code.
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 3rd January 2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quotation, as per forum guidelines. http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/announcement.php?f=18

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

It should be very useful in that sense. Time zones are sometimes quite difficult to grasp and can be a hindrance. I noticed a couple of other things, which I let you know via PM on the site.

Maybe out a little more explanation in the original post to let people know what it is and how you intend to use it? That way they can decide better if they're interested in testing it out.

Also, no need to quote the message directly above yours - check out the forum guidelines.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

Sorry about the quoting. Its a bad habit I have from another forum which is completely unmoderated.

I will update my original post with more details about the site usage and design. Thanks for your help, Saturn.
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 3rd January 2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts. Another bad habit? :P

PSN ID
    Reezellthia

Hi I'm interested in joining. Thanks

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

Reezy, I PM'ed you an Invite Code.

can it be used for pusle aswell??

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

I can configure it to work with PSP wipeout games as well if there is enough interest.

that would be cool because i was thinking that you're website could re-kindle big races for the pulse and pure pilots

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

I'll have to add a few extra form elements to get it working. Shouldn't take more than a couple days.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Hey Torquedsoul,

First, big congrats for your dedication, this website looks excellent. I was wondering if your ELO ranking could suit with avalon. I think it could be a great addition to collect all the datas from the races, & not just the new no-gun records. We're usually playing thousands of races during these week-ends, and this ELO rankings could add another dimension to the competition. The major issue I'm already noticing though, is data collecting; not sure we could take a pic of each race (+ the fact not everyone hosting the event could record what's happening), then input all the datas in your website, + the 20 races limit (maybe we could play sets of 20 races though)... + the fact I have a real life too, not sure I could find time for that but... Anyway I would be glad to have a look at your stuff if you're ok. Again, congrats for the work!
    Last edited by kanar; 3rd January 2010 at 09:16 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

to kanar:

The 20 race limit is arbitrary. I did it to avoid people abusing the system or data cramming. It can be increased if there is a justification for it.

I'll be adding a tournament module later that will help with larger tournaments with hundreds of matches.

Data collection will always be problem for big events. Thats why its important to have numerous event managers inputing data. That way no one person gets stuck trying to cram all the data in. The tools to post results is a point and click tool. Here is how it works. All the participants are in a select box on the left. the event manager just has to select a participant and add them to result selector. and then use up and own tools to put them in order. There is no typing involved. I will post a screenshot of the tool later. I can post results for a match in 15-30 seconds.

Here is an image of the post results widget.

right now all that is recorded is the finish becuase I dont want to burden every league or tournament with data they dont care about. I will however be adding the capacity for league and tournament managers to decide just what data they want to collect for each match, which with WipeOut would probably be things like time for races and kills and such for eliminator. I dont want as a part of the standard framework becuase some people may not care about having that much data.

Data entry was something I focused on also. I wanted people to be able to quickly and easily post results. Not only does it help with data entry ... becuase its all data driven from the database it helps with data integrity also.
    Last edited by TorquedSoul; 4th January 2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: posted screen shot

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

We'll be 2 for sure at home in february, & maybe 3. So we could give your stuff a try, and post results in 15/30 secs as you said. And we could extend that to all the host crew. Just let me know if you're interested in some kind of cooperation. Btw would it be possible to send me an invitation code too, I would be glad to check your website.
    Last edited by kanar; 3rd January 2010 at 09:54 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

I can set up an league for avalon in the system. I have the backend to support granting and restricting event management. so yes you can have multiple event managers entering data and you can pick who is allowed to do it.

If you want to PM me the structure of the avalon tournament/league I can make sure the functionality is available for February. I will review your avalon thread to see what I can get from there. But it might be easier for you to just describe the format to me. As I said it was my intent to let users manage their own leagues. If you want try it you can pilot the tournament and league management system as I develop it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

good stuff mate. I've a giant headache atm, and it's midnight here lol, so I'll pm you tomorrow.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Hey TS, i've joined the website, but is the reply function still active atm? I didnt received further instructions to fully access the site.

Edit: What's an ELO rating system?? Pardon my ignorance...
    Last edited by Kyonshi; 5th January 2010 at 03:20 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

You had a typo in your email address. I manually activated your account. You can log in now.

ELO rating system is the system that is use Chess. This variation allows for the ELO score to handle multiplayer games. The change in ELO after an event will be the aggregate change of all the competitors expected and actual results as they relate to your and your competitors ELO scores . Sounds complicated but its actually pretty simple ... if anyone is interested in seeing the formula I can post it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ONlocke

This is the kind of league setup I have been waiting for!

I want in!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I'm having some troubles in Firefox. I log in and get logged straight back out again. Any idea why?