Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Online Etiquette

Rezatron is offline Banned for aggressive behaviour toward members, moderators and admin. Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rezatron

Default Online Etiquette

I'm sure most of the members here good online etiquette when playing WOHD and running a room. Nonetheless, what are some things you have noticed others doing online that has pissed you off?

Most of the things listed below i've only noticed noobs or unintelligent ignorami doing. This thread was created in hopes of reducing poor online behavior yet most of those responsible surely don't visit this forum...

1. Starting a race while others are picking a ship resulting in using a ship you don't like/aren't familiar with (and playing poorly as a result)
    2. Changing speed classes and starting the game immediately (does not give players time to change ships or exit the room)
    3. Changing game modes and starting the match immediately (does not give players time to exit the room/change ships)
    4. Drastically changing speed classes (like from Venom to Phantom) or number of laps and quickly starting a race
    5. In a race, players that target the 1st place ship after they have been lapped (potentially ruining World Records)
    6. To a lesser extent, picking the same track over and over again (or simply picking noob favorite Moa Therma, enough with that track! :-
    7. Quitting a tournament after the first race

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Techincally only one of those is actually in-race, of which is perfectally resonable. Of course you would try and target the leader, if you want to win, duh.

Don't have a issue with the other points made, as people I race with are awesome dudes whos stick with phantom anyway.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Targeting the leader is all bine and dandy but imho if you get lapped you ain't gonna win so kindly sod off and stop shooting me

Thankfully most of the people I race with aren't lapworthy

Rezatron is offline Banned for aggressive behaviour toward members, moderators and admin. Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rezatron

You need to reread 6.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Flying around the track in reverse and firing at on coming craft [in a non eliminator race] because they are getting their butt kicked in a tournament is the worse of bad etiquette IMHO.

Switching from standard racing to eliminator or zone is a PITA if you can't get out of it,if you want to change race types start another room.

@reza:
    One or me?

Ontopic: Leaving your PS3 for more than a few minutes while you're still in a room. Not only are you hogging a place/getting in the way during the race,
    you will also inevitably end up as host and poor bastards like myself looking for a cheeky race here n' there will join your room only to find that you aren't actually at home (to fulfil your hosting duties)
    because you went out to buy milk and/or cigarettes. SORT YOUR LIFE OUT YOU ANONYMOUS CRETIN (says the addicted WOHD player... )!!

For someone special: ...And while your at it (sorting your life out), don't ****ing quit the race on the last lap if you're not going to win (ESPECIALLY if there's only 2 people in the room).

...and don't quit after the first corner just because I overtake you...

.....do not subsequently send me messages accusing me of sharing my connection with half of china, resetting my modem at the start of the race,
    having a permanent turbo cheat and beating up little old ladies in corner shops. apparently this can be proven merely by further implying that everyone who you beat has a "real" connection while anyone who beats you is a chronic cheater.

....do not then ask me what my favourite games, songs and films are once you have lost the argument. What's the point?

Sit down, shut up, sod off, you tosser

/rant

Last edited by yeldar2097; 23rd September 2009 at 03:47 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rezatron

Meant for djKyoto, we posted at the same time.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    Targeting the leader is all bine and dandy but imho if you get lapped you ain't gonna win so kindly sod off and stop shooting me

Thankfully most of the people I race with aren't lapworthy
    I'm telling you - THAT WAS MY ROOMATE! I stepped out for a piss because I hated that track - and he picked up the controller. By the time I said no wait - he nailed you.

I felt bad, until I found out you set a world record that race - even WITH being shot.

Now... I'm actually kinda glad he did that. No way in hell I'd stand a chance against your record if you subtracted 3 more seconds from it.

lol - at our second comment Yeldar - I already know who you're talking about - and it wasn't even prompted in the least by your actions - he started that when I was racing him and DD - and then when I raced you and him. He really loves you guys, it appears.

teehee. I'd completely forgotten about that actually

I bet at least IH8YOU will know what I'm talking about with regards my rant

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Quote Originally Posted by Rezatron View Post
    Meant for djKyoto, we posted at the same time.
    I don't really care. If by some way the host keeps picking the same room (which they usually never do), I just join or make another room.

Drama.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

I experienced most of these issues in sub-phantom speed classes. In phantom,
    and while playing against some high birds, there are virtually no issues at
    all. Personally, I usually change races quickly since most of the top pilots
    are rather sticky to their craft and wanna go to the next race asap. But if
    I see that someone is about to select another craft I do extend the time.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Yeah I kinda get annoyed when I join a room and the host keeps on picking the same track over and over again.

I'm not one to talk about online etiquette though, I'm usually online to enjoy a few minutes and if I stuff up on my own accord or if I suffer a particularly brutal attack I usually end up leaving right away happens too often as well, lol. It's just annoying and probably a bad habit from my attempts at elite phantom AI where I'd immediately restart if I got hit early, *shakes fist*. But I usually only play single race, wouldn't do that if I was in a tourney.

I personally like it when the host starts as soon as possible though, I don't think the ships are so different that it matters all that much unless it's phantom, where I find it definitely helps to be in a ship whose particular quirks you're familiar with. Sometimes the host waits way too long, and that's way more annoying than being able to play the game with a ship you're slightly less okay with. Playing > waiting, especially when the results aren't that important, which I find is most of the time. For me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by djKyoto View Post
    I don't really care. If by some way the host keeps picking the same room (which they usually never do), I just join or make another room.

Drama.
    I think he meant re-read 5th rather than 6th, as that was the only one addressing the in-game issue as you pointed out, and while you said it isn't that big a deal to go for 1st to win, Rezatron was referring to people who have been lapped and are going for the 1st placed player just to stuff them up. It's almost like griefing in a team game I guess, not very sportsmanlike... never seen it happen personally, but then again I don't think I've lapped that many people either
    Last edited by amplificated; 23rd September 2009 at 06:40 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

lol

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Yeah I sort of made post awhile back. It really was about the racing. I was pleased when I read this post because it had to do (at least at the start) about running a room. And I agree with all of Rezatron's opening post. I hate everyone of those. Most of the time I'm using Feisar or Harimau so ship changing really isn't an issue. Or a room where the track never changes.... I'll just leave after a couple on the same track where I know that's only going to continue. But all in all that list happens and it certainly bothersome.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rezatron

Quote Originally Posted by amplificated View Post
    I think he meant re-read 5th rather than 6th, as that was the only one addressing the in-game issue as you pointed out, and while you said it isn't that big a deal to go for 1st to win, Rezatron was referring to people who have been lapped and are going for the 1st placed player just to stuff them up. It's almost like griefing in a team game I guess, not very sportsmanlike... never seen it happen personally, but then again I don't think I've lapped that many people either
    Yes exactly, thanks. To add to that point, a pilot in dead last should not be dropping mines and bombs IMO. Nothing worse that losing time on a great run due to this. I've even been eliminated once when I was in 1st place and hit a bomb dropped by someone in last place 20+ seconds behind...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

If my room isn't full, I count ten seconds to wait to see if another player joins. If someone does, this counter resets. This until the room is full, or no players join the race, then I start.
    I also wait until everyone has selected their ships, though it can sometimes happen that I start the race just as someone enters.

@Rezatron ..i agree with all your points cos they are plain fact and not really open to discussion apart from moa is good track as well as the others unless of course the player just picks it over and over and bore everyone..

only other thing that annoys me is....cant thinkof anything..

luckily most of the above dosnt happen to me cos i play nice phantoms players off this site and they all play with pride nyway

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    afatsuoM

I agree about the host of a game. When being the host, please wait for players to change ships, or to leave the game when de mode or speed changes. Just a few seconds is enough.

But I don't agree on the last player not using weapons when being lapped. If I'm last, I'm probably slower than the rest. Then the only way to make te race "more challenging" for all the other players is to attack them, regardless of where they are on the track. It's part of the game. I allways drop mines and bombs in last position.

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

@afatsuoM, i sure we'd all like to thank you for that, cheers