Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wipeout HD Fury is the "Best Driving Game of 2009"

Timezone
    GMT -5

It's really bad when the insult is that you aren't even a driving game at all. You don't have to worry about friction on the road.

A car is just a hovercraft that holds itself off the ground with wheels.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

I agree with that statement. You do have to pilot or "drive" the vehicle do you not?

Exactly. Whatever vehicle you're controlling, whether it's a car, a railway locomotive, an aeroplane, a hovercraft, a hydrofoil speedboat, a pickup truck, or a Tie fighter, you're driving it. No matter what type of control inputs and output actions of the vehicle, the object is still to control it to maximum effect. Even if the vehicle is NiGHTS. Okay, maybe I went a step too far with that one.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

So basically you're saying that games like Heroes over Europe and IL2-Sturmovik should be eligible for Best Driving Game 2009?! errrr... NO.

Timezone
    GMT -5

In those games the "vehicles" and their "operators" are not constrained by any type of track (short of avoiding the ground). Also the mission objectives rarely revolve around the notion of completing laps in a minimal amount of time. Now the differentiation would be harder with an Air Racer like NGEN Racing but planes still have a much greater degree of freedom in the third dimension. Anti-Gravity Racing may be compared to flying - but anyone who has been shoved over the edge of Sol 2 knows that AG craft have the glide path of a rock.
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 22nd December 2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote. Please see forum guidelines. http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/announcement.php?f=18

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    A car is just a hovercraft that holds itself off the ground with wheels.
    I almost made a foolish mistake there, until I realised you said off the ground. Although I won't bother going 'there' with that one.

They could have just called the category "Best Racing Game" and saved a whole lot of pedantry.

Exactly. They should have defined their category with a bit of thought beforehand.