Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phantom Online

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

Default Phantom Online

I've been staying over my step-dads house a lot lately so I've been on WipEout HD under his alias (xTHORGODx) and there's been quite a few times that there's literally no phantom races going. I create one and sit there for a 10-15 minutes with no-one joining and then just turn it off. I'm actually a little bit upset than in a few months more and more will have stopped playing and it will become a battle to actually find a game.

Anyone else feel like this?

Rezatron is offline Banned for aggressive behaviour toward members, moderators and admin. Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rezatron

I sure hope not, because I just started playing Phantom online today (played you in a few races I believe). Sunday nights usually aren't that busy anyway, usually you can find 1 or 2 high quality Phantom rooms in late afternoon/early evening during the weekday and Saturdays.

What I don't understand is why alot of people here don't play anything other than phantom, like you said you would rather turn the system off rather than join a Rapier or Flash (omg Flash total noobz) room. I don't understand that, there are a good number of great pilots who stick with the Flash and Rapier classes almost exclusively.

Venom on the other hand... if you get hit with rocket in a race with a semi-competent pilot it's pretty much all over.

I disagree with the Wipeout HD in game guide, Rapier and Flash can be for professionals too

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Rapier & Flash are just as hotly contested as elite phantom.

Just as easy to screw up as well, as the timing for each needed action is different for each class.
    I've lost count of the number of times I've gone online into a flash or rapier race after doing some phantom SL & TT's and have been either turning or applying air brakes too early.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I haven't played online very much, but my experiences for phantom are as follows :

3 - 2 - 1 - GO!
    - Left
    - Left
    - Left
    - Me and two other people overtake someone (lap)
    The others finish 30 seconds after we finished. Then they leave the lobby.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    PSMuF

After playing so much Phantom to get the trophies, it just feels wrong playing something else. I've tried several times going for a lower speed class, and then realise its just so... slow...
    Then again, I feel like I'm crawling along the track even in Phantom when I somehow play another craft than Piranha. Got too used to it I guess...

Phantom is definitely the only speed class you'll ever see me play online

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Unhappy

There are times when there are no public Phantom games going, which can be annoying. If that is the case I'll go onto speed lap or time trial and check every so often to see if a game is available. The main thing that means that there are less Phantom games is that most people who were playing it a few months ago don't any more, so there isn't that much we can do about it.

If I'm ever online I will join a Phantom game, but that isn't as often as it used to be.

problem with phantom is that i find if you havnt played for a while you really get rubbish at it.where the other speed classes you can jump right back in and the loss of skill is not as noticible.
    i have not played wipeout for quite some time.i would have severe trouble competing in phantom.wbut on the slower speeds i would be able to give a decent race and my oss of skill would not be so obvious and evident.
    well thats how i see it.

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

I never seem to have trouble finding a phantom race online. In fact it's very rare when I don't find one

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Amorbis View Post
    There are times when there are no public Phantom games going, which can be annoying. If that is the case I'll go onto speed lap or time trial and check every so often to see if a game is available. The main thing that means that there are less Phantom games is that most people who were playing it a few months ago don't any more, so there isn't that much we can do about it.

If I'm ever online I will join a Phantom game, but that isn't as often as it used to be.
    ditto

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

There's always Avalon...

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    NightArh

now I know who is good pilot xTHORGODx we had nice races few days ago inspite of my sad piloting xD

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

I always seem to bump into XTHORGODX online - we always have some nice races

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I think that once you have got to the stage where you have played a lot of phantom online,got about as good as your even going to get in TT & SL's and finished all the trophies, it's inevitable that you are going to give the game away, for a while at least.

The reason for this could most likely be the slow rate of new DLC,well it has been for me.
    Fury didn't really do it for me I'm sorry to say,after waiting for 9 months then only getting 4 tracks that I consider wipeout [I don't consider Detonator,Zone Battle and Zone proper wipeout,these portions of the game have a virtual thick layer of dust on them in my console],and to tell the truth,apart from Tech De Ra I didn't like the tracks we got.

Maybe if SL took a different approach to DLC.
    Like bringing our smaller,but more frequent DLC you wouldn't have so many people leaving, then "possibly" returning again .
    HD/FURY has lost around 30-40 top phantom pilots in the last few months which is a bit of a worry,I know this because most of them are on my friends list.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

I think the proverbial nail just got smacked in the face, big time.
    I'm with bw

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

I'm really surprised to read this - I'd assumed HD online was still really busy. I was considering getting on HD so I could race online a little more, but I think I'll stick with Pulse after reading this thread - there's Phantom races every Sunday night at least.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Don't get me wrong,the boards can still be full,and quite a few of what's up on the boards will be Phantom races,but nowhere near what one might expect, mainly due to the reasons I gave in my previous post.

It seems most online races are Flash/Venom eliminators,and I hardly ever see a zone battle race on the boards,so I consider that racing mode a fail due to lack of interest.

It seems dependent on which days and at what time you go online more than anything else,especially since most Phantom pilots are Euro based.

PSN ID
    Lightlord

Bear in mind Modern Warfare 2 has come out and a fair number of players are playing that more than anything else right now its a busy time of year for good games to come out as well, big releases tends to mean more time taken up with them instead of the tried and tested game we know and love.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

And the whole lobby is a pilot-assist-paradise. I find it simply annoying that most of the races are dominated by pilot assist and weapon hints.

Especially on Eliminator. Isn't Eliminator all about destroying?

Anyway. Phantom races are rare, signed. And I rather leave the online lobby than join a race with pilot assist on, no matter which speed classes the other races consist of.
    Then, ironically, if you join a Phantom race with pilot assist off, they're often really nearly completely filled with 6 to 8 players. I'm wondering why they do not join when one hosts a Phantom race himself, though …

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Whats all this noise about no Phantom races online? What a load of CRAP!

Last night I was racing Phantom races with Zoners and non-Zoners! Y'all talking wet!

SMAD - The HD servers are packed with races, and one in 4 to 6 hosted rooms are Phantom, on average, and usually about 12 rooms open at least, ... People, wanna play phantom? I'll get a royal pasting, but I'm up for Phantom

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

I saw Rezatron hosting some Phantom races last night. I was going to join but I got into a 12 race tournament while waiting around and never got to. I was going to join his Phantom races because they were PA off. I never join a Phantom race with it on. People in those races are all over the place lots of the time. If the Phantom races are on the Fury tracks I will shun them regardless. For whatever reason I just don't have them down. I've raced them just as much as the HD tracks but I don't have them. I can visualize every HD track just by name but when I race on a Fury track I see the name and don't have a clue until I see it come up on the screen which one it is. But I digress...

It's sort of weird when I'm on. Sometimes there's nothing but Phantom. Sometimes there's mostly Venom races. I don't think I've seen more than a couple of Zone Battles the whole time it's been available.