Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take you to get back to good form after an absence?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    kanar, you sound a bit 'disappointed' somehow 'cause you can't improve that much
    anymore. For sure, we all have our limits but why not try out something new?
    Thanks, but I'm not disappointed anymore, I've already improved 3 SL personnal best between my post and today. I lacked of motivation, so I went to the arena & I spoke to guys like Leungbok, Pirahpac, Yeldar, Wotan, Kaori, Ace3cube, Tug_14... guys who are still motivated to push a little further the limits. Guys who are still interested in playing hd in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFrostE View Post
    i think if someone begins to think they are obligated to play WOHD a certain amount of time a day or week or have to schedule their days around the game, they need to take a break, theres a real world out there too off the computerized race track.
    Gah I hope that wasn't directed at me. Just in case, & to clarify, I LOVE playing this game, not interested in PS2 shmups, or Zelda, or other stuffs. Tbh, I've bought any AAA games on the ps3, & only mw2 or nba 2k10 attracted -a little- my attention. I'm not stressed by the competition. Oh by the way, this is a wipeout dedicated website, right?

I'm just enjoying to play this game, as a lot of people are still playing counter strike or world of warcraft.

I'm really fine with the world out there too, I've a wife, a job, I'll probably have children one day. I'm just spending my tiny gaming time in hd, when you're probably spending more time than me in multiple games (with success, if I remember well, you're holding a lot of world records in a lot of games uh?).
    Last edited by kanar; 7th January 2010 at 10:15 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

Really you want to have children ?
    I'm sure you have already scheduled their WipEout training

Be careful wipers, "kaneton" & "kanar jr" will reach the top
    Last edited by kaori; 7th January 2010 at 07:01 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Oh i thought it was riri, fifi & loulou !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

No but kanar would be their unknow father.

Look that, incredible :
    kanar, you have already children !
    Last edited by kaori; 7th January 2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: sorry, bad quality in first picture, but it's arranged, enjoy

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

no no no Kanar , that was DEFINETLY not pointed towards you. as a matter of fact it was more pointed towards myself TBH . the whole tournaments thing and practicing stuff and trying to keep up was starting to get to me and i felt like wipeout HD (not the old ones) was becoming a task and/or job to play, ask AG-wolf how dedicated i was to that stuff . So i decided to take a nice break and go back to games that i had bought and not gotten my moneys worth on them since they were neglected due to HD. In doing this i have realized that i have just as much and sometimes even much more fun playing those other games than i do with wipeout HD so it was for the best .

BUT NEWS FLASH...MY OLDER BROTHER JUST GOT A PS3 FOR FREE YESTERDAY AND GOT WIPEOUT BUNDLE...SO I WILL BE ONLINE NOW PLAYING WITH HIM BATTLING ACROSS THE HALLWAY IN HIS ROOM HAHA!!

so no kanar nothing was directed towards you at all there, i have nothing but love for the WZ community. RACE ON!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

GAH. So I'm really sorry for my previous rant. Seems like I'm kinda stressed these past few days, already misunderstood Lance in another thread, was wrong too in a pulse thread, & now with you here, so once again, my bad. Please accept my apologies TheFrostE. OMG need to chill out lol.

I suspect from whence the stress cometh; good luck to you in balancing time demands, Olivier.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

One of the Few Reasons I came abck was Cyxel got a PS3 for Christmas. Might as well smack her around a b it and see some of my friends.

I suck now though.

PSN ID
    shapealot

well it looks like im gona find out what its like to take a break for while. i dislocated my right foot pretty bad in gymnastics last night, it sounds daft but i play with my legs crossed on my bed (the sweet spot) which i cant do right now so im gona be out of action for a while. ill try an post a pic later of my gigantic right leg, its impressive lol

put a few pics up in the pics thread, dont know how to make a link so just go there an take a look. the bruising hasnt set in yet so ill post more at a latter date. sorry about the quality they were taken on the PSeye
    Last edited by shapealot; 29th January 2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: double post

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    afatsuoM

Well, finally got myself a place of my own to live (in stead of @ parents place) a few months ago. So I haven't been able to play for a few months. Let's just say it needed some work.

Started up WipEout HD again about a week ago and at first it felt really weird. The "automatism" was gone a bit, so my ship was all over the place. After a few laps though, it was much better, but still not at the level before the pause.

Now a week later, my Zone skills on AP fwd are completely back (even broke my record). But online, I still get pounded. I think another week or so should get me back to my previous level.
    Last edited by afatsuoM; 4th February 2010 at 01:45 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Loopan2k

It takes me about 2 days..
    first day is for failure, and second is to realize my failure.

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Default Ill tell you when I get there

Ive started playing it again after leaving it for more than a few months, since my last ps3 died I needed to redo the Fury campaign again. I did that relatively easily on expert difficulty so I know im not that bad, but im still making plenty of mistakes (well, more than I used too) including airbraking too hard, turning too early and so on. And Phantom has gone back to feeling like its a little too fast rather than just right. Its going to take a little time to get my head round that I think.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

I played some online last night for the first time in a while. ProblemSolver and a few others wiped the floor with me on every track except Anulpha. I was off my best times by 10 seconds or more every race. Looks like I need more than a few laps to put it back together.

about one week at one hour a day from my experience.
    but it really depends on...

length of absence
    level of skill you had to start with
    and most importantly
    ethusiasm...

PSN ID
    MiguelX69

So... erm... I got the game in october, then in november I got the platinum and never played it again. Now in february I started playing it on my new account, and yesterday I've platinum'ed it again. So... even after some months, I didn't lost the toutch.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin-jade View Post
    about one week at one hour a day from my experience.
    but it really depends on...

length of absence
    level of skill you had to start with
    and most importantly
    ethusiasm...
    Yes, in my case too. It depends in how many time.

For now, if it only a week, just two online races. If it's more, then a few days to get the good form.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Took about 75mins to get back up to speed and beat a PB.

Call it 2hrs to allow for consistency.

Only 12 weeks though which isn't that long really.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    AppleJack052570

yea, just started playing HD again after some time away (forgot what a sweet game HD really is). I've only went online a few times ever, and wasn't that good to begin with, mostly play Speed Lap and Zone (still chasing after Zone Zeus, closest I was able to get was Zone 70), and now I'm so rusty I can't even make it to Zone 60 on Anulpha. Guess I just need to get back to practicing more

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    Took about 75mins to get back up to speed and beat a PB. ...
    75mins? Man, you're getting old.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Finally found the formula!
    The number of minutes M necessary to get back to a good condition after an absence of
    D days, is simply: M=17*ln(D)*X
    (usually X is 1, but it depends on your age)

So, if you're away for:
    2 days => 12 minutes!
    15 days => 46 minutes!
    6 months => 89 minutes!
    1 year => 100 minutes!
    10 years => 139 minutes!

All those number, assuming you've mastered Wipeout HD in the past, otherwise the curve
    is drastically different!