Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take you to get back to good form after an absence?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

I actually just did my first race in probably 2 months yesterday, I was expecting to be a lot worse then what I did. Now even before I stopped I was average at best, I can never keep up with most of the pilots from this board (Vart, TCK, looking at you specifically). I came first once (believe on Moa R), and a few seconds and thirds but primarly feel in the 4-7 category. I missed a lot of the BRs that I had down pat and Sol 2 reverse ate me for breakfast, but overall I felt I was competing. There were a couple of times that I held first or second and let myself down with some horrible flying, so I know i can still improve.
    Best part of the day was I landed two random plasmas both netting a kill and other then one case of quake + Missile + wall didn't have any rage worthy material. Considering I quit due to the rage i kept feeling (and school) I was happy.

I will never keep up with the majority of you, but for the average or "human" pilots as I like to call them I'm hunting for you now.
    That and I can clean you all but shoqa on detonator so I have my happy place.

i played again for the first time in ages (so did haydn) and i was rubbish!! had a race with people i didnt know and it went ok, raced with ace3cube for one and lost (he is good isnt he) but i shamed myself against yeldar >< it was a one on one and i thought i would race in quirex because ive been racing as them in pulse but realy i just gave yeldar a chance to get a new world record at least before i could just about keep in sight of him but i think it would take some time for me to get back into it.

well this was the only chance ill get to play untill i get a ps3 (and who knows when that will be) but i hope to fly with everyone again soon.

-kieran

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DeepMix

to be as good as i was hmmm maybe it takes me a couple of hours or days, it depends which game, if is wipeouthd then maybe a couple of days

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Oh, man...I haven't played in months. I imagine if I started playing daily again, it would still take a couple of weeks to really get back in the groove...at LEAST.

Hello to everyone, by the way! Miss you all!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Hi L&P, what have you done in the meantime?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Hey PS! I've been catching up on all the other games that have been sitting on my shelf. Played through Heavenly Sword, Bioshock, Mirror's Edge, GTA IV and Mass Effect...now I'm working my way through Tomd Raider: Underworld. Still have Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Dead Space, Gears of War 2, Saint's Row 2, Resident Evil 4 and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed on my shelf that I need to get to, as well! Man, I have a lot of work ahead of me...whew.

Good hearing from you!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@L&P: Lucky guy! Well, I have to play catch-up on catch-up before catching
    up on other things. xD I even have to play UC2 ... damn. Anyways, my next
    game in line will be FF XIII. After that Heavy Rain, GoW III, and GT5. Something
    like that.

On-topic: I haven't played for weeks (six or seven) but I got virtually no issues
    to come up speed again. My first run was on Metropia Reverse ZONE. To my
    surprise I was only about two zones away from the global record, first run. lol
    Got a nice tunnel vision. Sweet. After that I played a 12 random tourney,
    lost only one due to elimination.

Quite interesting, staying away from the game for awhile may even improve
    one's racing skills since some fixed trained patterns (steering, visions etc.)
    aren't that strong. So you got a chance to readjust things.

Playing WipEout HD Fury again showed me once again what an awesome game
    this is!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Nice! Like you, I'm really looking forward to playing Heavy Rain, GoW III and GT5! Should all be fantastic games!

And I'm not surprised you were able to just jump back into WO after not playing for 6-7 weeks and dominate right off...you are a WO freak!

Timezone
    GMT -5

Heavy Rain, really looking forward to that.

@topic: I made a simple graph for people to follow

Attached Images Attached Images

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quoting myself;

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    ... On-topic: I haven't played for weeks (six or seven) but I got virtually no
    issues to come up speed again. ...

Quite interesting, staying away from the game for awhile may even improve
    one's racing skills since some fixed trained patterns (steering, visions etc.)
    aren't that strong. So you got a chance to readjust things. ...
    Yesterday was my first online sessions since weeks. According to my own advice
    I did something new. I did something I wanted do try out for quite some time
    now, i.e. using the dpad! Weeks ago I used the dpad for about a few days to
    see whether I could beat my stick-records. Not a chance. Not even remotely.
    Back then I somehow recognized that one can perform BRs faster and that the
    craft can be kept more stable while performing a BR. Anyways, I never really
    forced myself to use the dpad until yesterday. I thought; c'mon, lets use the
    dpad online and start all over again. I started playing from about 5am (GMT+1)
    to 3pm (!) and lost almost all races for about 6h. xD I even got some PMs
    from some guys asking me why I didn't hit most of the item pads anymore :rofl:
    I also have to say that I've changed my DS3 button assignment as well. About
    7h later things got started somehow. I really noticed how good the BRs work
    when being performed unter pressure. I was like; shiiit. For example, the
    possible BR on the Amphesium Reverse after the first turn down the straight was
    most often a pain with the stick. About 8h later I could perform this BR with
    about 90% success rate while keeping the craft stable (straight). Likewise
    with the BR before the mag strip. And from this point on I started to win
    races. I got somehow attached to the dpad. After about 9h of play time
    (straight!) some very good players joint the server (like fgdk, themother****er
    xD, ...). I was even able to beat them in some weapons off races using the dpad.
    (Weapons off? Yes, my hands started to hurt like crazy, I couldn't fire or
    absorb any weapons any longer xD; yeah, this was the reason I switched to
    weapons off, if anyone was just wondering). However, I reached a limit. Some of
    you may know the pain you receive once you're releasing the controller after a
    tough race while having played already for too long, right? xD So I stopped
    playing after about 10 hours. You have to remember, I haven't played for weeks!
    :rofl: Anyways, I wanted to know whether it's worth to use the dpad or not.

Here are some things I've noticed while using the dpad in competitive racing
    (compared to the the stick);
    1. performing BRs is a huge advantage
    2. stable / smooth trajectory while performing a BR
    3. overall less steering => higher average speed
    4. better cornering on tight turns
    5. pitching can be performed more accurately due to the
      decoupling of the dpad's axis
    6. steering inputs can be performed much quicker, physically

Despite I can be quite fast with the stick, I now think that I can go even
    faster with the dpad, in general. The biggest drawback of the stick, for me,
    is the BR thing. BRs work like a charm with the dpad.

That the dpad works quite well is also a result of the fixed (low) velocity
    when compared to ZONE. However, the 'digital' behavior of the dpad becomes a
    disadvantage on very high speeds, since one cannot steer and control the craft
    fast enough with a (mostly) digital input device. But this isn't to say that
    you may not be able to run 160 zones on Syncopia using the dpad. It's just very
    unlikely. Mathematically, controlling a craft in a digital fashion would yield
    the optimal solution to an associated so-called control problem. This is against
    common beliefs and was found out by 'mathematics' back in the 1920 -- at the
    time where some mathematicians started to build functions space and relations
    to relate those spaces against each other to gain solutions to very difficult
    problems. Just in case you are interested; the mathematical topic that covers
    these kind of things is called functional analysis -- a wonderful branch of
    mathematics.
    Back on topic. Did you know that the US Space Shuttle is entirely controlled
    in a digital on/off fashion in space? That is to say; the valves are either
    open at full thrust or closed. Or have you ever been wondering about why a
    rabbit runs away in a zick-zack fashion while being hunted? It all comes down
    to optimal control. But we humans are simply not fast enough to perform such
    things, such that we can control it while performing it -- the action. Btw;
    just in case you wanna escape the police, do it in a zick-zack fashion! Yeah
    that's the best why to get away from someone who is right after you. Just ask
    the rabbit! Funny as it is, this techniques was already used in World War II.
    The superiority oft the German submarine, their maneuvering skills, are in part
    due to these insights. Most of the mathematical basis for functional analysis
    was founded in Europe, esp. in Germany where David Hilbert formulated the
    theory of the very important Hilbert spaces. Here is a quote from Wikipedia;

"... David Hilbert (January 23, 1862 – February 14, 1943) was a German
    mathematician, recognized as one of the most influential and universal
    mathematicians of the 19th and early 20th centuries. He discovered and
    developed a broad range of fundamental ideas in many areas, including
    invariant theory and the axiomatization of geometry. He also formulated the
    theory of Hilbert spaces,[1] one of the foundations of functional analysis. ..."

I wanna add that there were so many other great mathematicians (I can name
    most of them) from France, England, Poland, Russia, and Hungary -- just to
    name those few countries who played a big role in the foundation of functional
    analysis and still do!

Back to earth....
    Am I going to play with the dpad from now on? Yes! I think I need to play for
    about one or two months at a 'daily' basis to max out the dpad. But
    unfortunately this is not going to happen since I haven't that much time to
    play the game for the next few months. But I hope someone may find this
    information here quite interesting and may as such get something out of it.
    For the time being I'm going to play just once in a while to chill to some
    fine music in ZONE mode.

Edit: Do not misunderstand the phrase; "The superiority of the German
    submarine, ..."
    . It should be read as a pure technical thing.
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 4th January 2010 at 08:47 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

unfortunately this is not going to happen since I haven't that much time to
    play the game for the next few months
    You already were used to the d-pad if you had played instead of typing that huge post
    Last edited by leungbok; 7th January 2010 at 06:47 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Tru dat is.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

eh eh guys, that's game is a b***h anyway. And if it's a real challenge to get back to good form after an absence (even a short one), the worst thing to my mind is the feeling to not being able to improve my times anymore. I've never really stopped playing hd since its release, but it's like I've reached my physical limits in the speed lap competition. Seems like the woman who used to tell me "new lap record" broke up with me ages ago lol. About what you said PS, I believe there's no better settings compared to another (d-pad or stick, R1/L1 or R2/L2), I'm saying that cos' I know what are the settings of a lot of aces now, & they're playing all differently. BUT, I do believe too pitch control affected to motion control can help you to execute the hardest moves on the tracks (eg. boost+br in the worst parts). Although I never could make that step myself (still with d-pad only, r1/l1). Anyway, I really feel this game as the hardest I've ever played... Probably the reason why I'm sticking with it.
    Last edited by kanar; 4th January 2010 at 04:04 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by kanar View Post
    the worst thing to my mind is the feeling to not being able to improve his times anymore. I've never really stopped playing hd since its release, but it's like I've reached my physical limits in the speed lap competition. Seems like the woman who used to tell me "new lap record" broke up with me ages ago lol
    Try old tracks that you haven't raced since ages, then, sometimes you may be surprised

PSN ID
    shapealot

well said leungbok. theres loads of old times ive beaten recently, ive been avoiding them because i think im no good at the track or the lines are complicated but im surprising myself. these tracks end being the ones with my best times, pre-fury i didnt even use side shift so a lot of old times were beaten easily.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

well it's worse than that mate, feels like I'm stuck on every tracks, and I'm doing awful mistakes as if I just bought the game yesterday lol. You're right though, sometimes there's a rainbow, finally reached a sub 18" on vin K Reverse recently, but OMG that was truly epic... I've always knew I had to work more than the others to improve myself, I'm really not as talented as some people -like you or PS- here. I've always been a "follower", never found any tricks by myself. BUT, eh eh, I won't give up the fight lol, I've 47 days to improve myself before flying high -and having vertigo-
    Last edited by kanar; 4th January 2010 at 04:03 PM.

Default Moderator message.

Quoting myself; ~snip~

Back on topic. Did you know that the US Space Shuttle is entirely controlled
    in a digital on/off fashion in space? That is to say; the valves are either
    open at full thrust or closed. ls, are in part
    due to these insights. Most o~snip~

Here is a quote from Wikipedia;

[I]"... David Hilbert (January 23, 1862 – February 14, 1943) was a German
    mathematician, recognized as one of the most influential and universal
    mathematicians of the 19th and early 20th centuries. He discovered and
    developed a broad range of fundamental ideas in many areas, including
    invariant theory and the axiomatization of geometry. functional
    analysis and still do!

Back to earth....
    unfortunately this is not going to happen since I haven't that much ti~snip~

Edit: Do not misunderstand the phrase; "The superiority of the German
    submarine, ..."
    . It should be read as a pure technical thing.
    "Back on topic"?
    Apart from the quote of your earlier post that began this new post, and just conceivably this brief remark: "Am I going to play with the dpad from now on? Yes! I think I need to play for about one or two months at a 'daily' basis to max out the dpad", there seemed to me nothing whatever on topic in this entire extraordinarily lengthy message. If you wish to share digital and analog control theory with us, I suggest starting a separate topic for it. I have a great enthusiasm for technical knowledge, but somehow this post failed to answer or to connect to the question, "How long does it take you to get back to good form after an absence?" I do applaud your intellectual curiosity, but this data belongs more likely to either the offtopic section or possibly the Pilot's Lounge for it's discussion of piloting techniques and technology.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Damn! Lance got here first.

I was going to suggest you use one of the other control methodology/setup threads PS. Such as this one, or this one, or this one, or this...nah, maybe not that one.

You could inject some originality into one of those old, much repeated, but rarely interesting questions.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

kanar, you sound a bit 'disappointed' somehow 'cause you can't improve that much
    anymore. For sure, we all have our limits but why not try out something new?
    Speaking for myself, you wouldn't believe how many times I've changes things to
    find out what suits me best in ZONE. It's cool to always try something new.

@Lance: I even had to laugh at myself reading "... Back on topic. Did you know
    that the US Space Shuttle is ..."
    ROFL Sometimes I'm way beyond myself trying
    to visit every corner. Next time I will read the thread's title again before
    hitting submit and change the post accordingly. xD

@Sat: Thx for pointing these out. I've been reading though them all again.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

im sure i would suck if i started playing again but im confident within a weeks time i would be fine again. since ive been playing the series for so long now. . theres a lot of other games out that have caught my interest and wipeout became stresssful competing all the time.

i think if someone begins to think they are obligated to play WOHD a certain amount of time a day or week or have to schedule their days around the game, they need to take a break, theres a real world out there too off the computerized race track.