View Poll Results: Are you for or against "dead or dead rules" ?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it must be the lonely rule.

10 14.93%
  • Yes, but let the choice to the host before start.

49 73.13%
  • No, I want respawn.

8 11.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Implement the return of "dead is dead" rule.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

Post Implement the return of "dead is dead" rule.

I ask you if you are for or against a new option in the race online.

The "dead is dead" rule. Like in WipEout Pulse, a contender eliminated can't respawn, he scores 0 point.

I remember Paul Tweedle told us we could hope this option in a future update of the game.

Big advantage : a contender eliminated could look some adverts since others finish their race !

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I voted for option 1, because personally I feel that is the way it should be. Realistically I don't think it ever will be like that again at least not online so option 2 sounds more likely.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

lol, yeah cool idea ! I voted choice 2 however, it depends of the adds in fact

I took option 1.

But i would shout at my TV when I got destroyed because of a lapped bomb haha

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I voted 2. But I would only consider using the option if lag effects were lower and weapons a little less powerful. As it is you can sometimes be eliminated on the first lap even without a single weapon hit. That wouldn't be much fun.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

I'm the loner that wants respawn. As long as the weapons and collision damage do that much damage, I really don't want my race to be over on lap 1.

Edit: I now actually read Saturns reply. I agree with the reasoning, only I don't want to give anybody the choice

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phaeton_pl

I voted 2, it sounds fair.

I agree with Saturn that damages caused by weapons should be smaller. Damages caused by coliding with other ship should be 10x smaller.
    Also "pushing off the track" by other ship should be exclusive for eliminator mode.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

I voted 2. Sometimes there's so much collateral damage being inflicted that I'd hate to sit out a whole race because of fatal damage right off the starting line. But it would be good if you could get in a room with a bunch of people you know that don't fly everywhere haphazardly then it would be good. Or at the very least have ship to ship contact not count against your health.
    Last edited by crawdad62; 12th November 2009 at 07:04 PM.

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

Great idea - I voted for 2. Hopefully we'll see this implemented in the near future

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I originally thought that respawning would be a bad idea in WipEout, but with all the chaos it is almost necessary. That isn't to say it would be a bad thing, though. The few days that the game had a strange glitch I did infact enjoy getting eliminated for real. It would be good to be able to have all the old options for a bit more variety, we already have no barrel rolls so why not permanent elimination? So I voted 2.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Since the only rule now is respawn, they can't really put the toothpaste back in the tube, so option 2 is the most realistic.

When I think about it, though, "dead is dead" should be the only option, because death as a concept is not only final, but unavoidable in the sense that it is always present as a possibility to anything that lives. To be able to turn it off and on like a switch, I think that takes something away from it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    il_mago_di_Doz

I voted 2, but I think that Weapons should be a little less powerfull in that case. And last but not least.... Give me better hints about mines and bombs: half of the times the hints don't work.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

For the moment I'm with 3

As it stands according to my stats my K/D ratio is 1:4
    coincidentally I am elim'd one in every 4 races which I reckon is actually quite a lot, not sure though.

I can also imagine getting REALLY REALLY angry when elim'd if I knew I wasn't coming back...moreso than I already do

I'm not against the idea at all, but I think the weps may need some tweaking.

...if it were implemented: imagine getting eliminated by a lapped bomb from the guy in 2nd place or even by a lapped racer

--> broken controller x 4

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

It would make me killing people actually worth something.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Exactly, just like back in the Pure days.....*wonders off into a daydream*

It's not as satisfying anymore putting in the effort to knock someone off, used to be a great thrill.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

no respawn would probably lead to a whole new level of griefing, i think respawn is for the better and keeps things fast and involved

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Quote Originally Posted by billychanxtr33m View Post
    keeps things fast and involved
    Yeah you're probably right there. Can't imagine it would be very popular across the board (even though I'd still like the option) since it's hard sometimes to even find a room that doesn't have PA on.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

This would be nice indeed, just like offline. You die = you're out, go back to bed.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Lonely Rule!
    8 D

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    ...if it were implemented: imagine getting eliminated by a lapped bomb from the guy in 2nd place or even by a lapped racer
    That's sort of the point. It brings in another dimension of skill, allowing someone who's not even a skilled racer to beat someone who is by surviving the dangerous environment.

There were no eliminations at all in the original Wipeout, though. I wonder how many would prefer that?