Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The benefits of Speed Lap and Time Trial compared

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Mod Words
    This discussion has been moved over here to the HD forum from the Speed Lap Challenge thread as it was an interesting topic that I felt deserved its own thread:

Context: It was mentioned that a TT challenge might be worth running in parallel with the SL challenge, so I began by mentioning what I felt were the benefits of doing TT at the same time as SL....

TT FTW. For anyone doing a lot of speed laps, I think time trial is a very good idea anyway. It aids in the speed laps by generating consistency which means fast speed laps are likely to be more frequent. You learn slightly different things from them both too. Sometimes sl is so much about the BRs and boost location that lines lose out, particularly as you often have to concentrate on a good boost at the start of the lap as well as the normal boost location. That's what I've always found anyway, and in the long term I think TT brings the greater improvements.
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 7th November 2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Moved to its own thread.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    Sometimes sl is so much about the BRs and boost location that lines lose out, particularly as you often have to concentrate on a good boost at the start of the lap as well as the normal boost location
    Oh oh, no ! Maybe for a good rank but for a rank 1 to 5 on sl, you really need both (BRs, good boost/BR AND GOOD LINES) ! At least at phantom speed. The
    margin still exist on several tracks. As an example, to reach top 5 on anulpha pass phantom sl (the most practiced track) you have to include your BRs on practically perfect lines. If you can only perform the BRs = rank 25+.
    Rank 1 on TT are reachable with 2/3 mistakes (some BRs missed, wall's hits, lines missed). 99 speedlaps in a row helps to acquire automatism that will be very usefull on TT. Personnaly i feel a much bigger margin on TT than sl, my main problems are the concentration and my perfectionism, if i don't start a TT with a practically perfect lap (like my pb on sl) i restart the race, and doing those starts is very scarce, lol. IMHO, difficulty on TT isn't to have good lines, but to succeed 5 X hard BRs or boosts that are already hard to perform once on sl (i'm sure Pirahpac would agree with that.) So no, mate, your lines can't lose out for a rank 5 to 1 on sl (phantom)

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

margemargemarge

TT = Hard for conentration + skill
    SL = Hard for skill + skill + patience
    Don't take this too literally I'm just being an arse

They are both hard, but yeldar like TT best because the youtube videos are longer
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 7th November 2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Deleted words that were left in SL challenge thread.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    Oh oh, no ! Maybe for a good rank but for a rank 1 to 5 on sl, you really need both (BRs, good boost/BR AND GOOD LINES) ! At least at phantom speed.......etc
    For top ranks yes, you need both lines and barrel rolls, in both TT and SL. I think we'd both agree that an absolutely perfect TT is far more difficult than an absolutely perfect SL. I also agree with you, that a top 5 TT is less perfect as a TT than a top 5 SL is as a SL. My point is more about what the brain is thinking about, specifically on tracks where a good boost is required at the start. An example:

Chenghou project reverse - A good boost is needed at the start on this track. A good line around the final hairpin bend and last corner is also crucial. If a player only does speed lap, then there is a chance that they will constantly be cancelling their lap to get the boost back and mostly thinking about the start than about the last corners. But if they mix in TT as well, then they don't have that boost at the start, so can concentrate more on the last corners. It's a subconcious thing that a lot of people won't realise they are doing as they already have so much to think about in either event. No doubt it's also something that players such as yourself and pirahpac won't have to worry about anyway, because you've thought about this stuff a lot and are very experienced. But for less experienced players, I think doing both TT and SL teaches different things about a track, and therefore, in general, a lot of people would benefit from doing them both and not only concentrating on one.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Off course, both (TT & sl) are complementary !! sl is the best way of learning the track's subtilities, trying some tricks and improving his timing response. TT is the best training for preparing multiplayer races (with some sr sessions) and learn consistency
    To be a complete fast racer both are necessary, in another way it's a matter of taste ! Some prefers 100m and others 400m

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Super thumbs up. Comparing the taste element to long distance vs. short distance running is an excellent way to put it.

@Sat & Leung: Does this mean I am weird if I find TT the best way to learn/improve on a track and SL is only for practicing BRs...?
    It's always interesting to see how different players approach different modes
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 7th November 2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Deleted words that were left in SL challenge thread.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Yes, definitely weird !
    Seriously, on speedlap you can go further in learning a track. You can be more precise at each turn and bumps and step by step you can find the most effective lines and tricks. In TT i reproduce what sl learned to me

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

No yeldar. I'm the same. I don't like speed lap as much because I find I just give up as soon as it's not perfect. This is probably because I am aiming for a higher level of perfection. It's largely approach and preference. If I prefer TT outright then I will do it more. Therefore I will learn more just because I spent more time on it. I do still think TT has benefits though. In TT I can look at the best of 5 laps each time and see what kind of margin I have. In this way I know whether or not I can keep improving. It spurs me on and I improve faster. Then I can take this over to speed lap and do a lot better (generally) at it than I would have done if I just tried speed lap from the start. In speed lap I will just have lots and lots of invalid laps that don't help me at all. But this is me. This is how I do things and isn't necessarily how others approach it. For others speed lap will be better and more fun. It all depends how you approach each event and process the feedback each gives you.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Sometimes when i do a TT and if i perform a fast lap, i tell myself : "Damn, this lap would have been a winner in a sl session, s**t !" .
    I'm like Kanar here, i search for the ultimate lap ! And it's also possible to try some crazy tricks barely do-able on 5 laps
    But both are great for big adrenaline rush !
    And about consistency, after hours on speedlap, you can know every inch of a track and in fact only one lap can appear quite long in fact, with several sections that you have to think of ! So consistency can be improved to in practicing speedlap (but it comes faster with TT).
    About TT, i'm quiet and concentrate during the four first laps, and i start to be very very stressed when the 5th lap begins, more stressed than on a great start on a speedlap

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I get that too leungbok. That last lap after a good four laps is really very intense and so easy to mess up.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Speed Lap is great to just chill out and run as many laps as you want (up to 100) on any track. You can play whatever music you want, long or short, and really zone out. Sometimes I don't even realize what I'm doing and I'm awakened by the voice, "New Lap Record" and I think, whoa, how did I do that! Very fun.

The best is when I fly off the track somewhere and get a great new spot to take pictures. I'm playing around in speed lap and all of a sudden I'm spending the next half-hour in photo mode.

I haven't done any TTs outside the campaign, except for one or two. I'm not big on times. I think they're interesting and I'll get to TTs someday. I just don't think they're the best or most important part of the game. Weapons, Zone mode, the thrill of surviving, exploring and fighting your way through a dangerous beautiful environment -- that's what I find the most fun.

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

SaturnReturn - You could make a poll to go with this thread and see what people think of SL and TT that way?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I think that might turn it into speed lap vs. time trial. It's a comparison, not a contest, so I will avoid a poll. But I made a suggestion in the Speed Lap Challenge thread as to how you can run TT without losing out on participants for SL.

I often get that feeling during a TT - @#$%@#$@#% that would have been sweet in speed lap!! nooooooo

Like I said before I learn/improve much faster through TT for some reason. I tend to pay much more attention to the track in TT than I do in SL. Any revelation that I have tends to be during a TT session, at which point I will try to perfect the technique in speed lap. I'm confused
    I shall try to explain why...might urn out to be a fail but meh, at least I'll be on topic for once

With SL I will always try to improve my time by doing what I think to be the fastest way around the track - If I mess up I just BSB () back to the start line --> rinse, repeat.
    Obviously with SL the start is very important and can lose you a lot of time (and some are v easy to mess up). This, coupled with what I said above makes it very hard to follow your ghost in real time so it's harder to tell which lines are faster: if you're behind, ditch the lap, if you mess the start, ditch the lap ---> no imrovement.
    In TT on the other hand, you can follow/run like fury from your ghost for 5 laps straight in real time so it's easier to tell where you make up/lose time in a lap. You also have more opportunity to make up lost time so you will be less inclined to restart 1/2 way through (of course the 1st lap has to be good but you see what i mean).
    In TT you are constantly trying to go as fast as you can but nobody (except elois and bot) is 100% consistent so sometimes if you are behind you will discover a line that is faster than your normal SL line or a line that makes a BR much easier etc...

I hope this made some kind of sense, I was kinda making it up as I went along...Maybe I'll edit it later on.

At the end of the day (yes I am a premiership footballer ) I like both modes.
    I wonder if anyone else does things the same as me? Let's see

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

if i want to practice a track i almost always do speed lap because there is no down time between different runs like there is in time trial. its the same when i want to practice some live fire races, i always tournament instead of single race.
    Last edited by billychanxtr33m; 7th November 2009 at 10:10 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

To prevent from the temptation of canceling a lap if my ghost is in front, i usually desactivate it atm (another reason is the still remaining ghost bug ). Except for the videos, to have more entertainment !
    I just try to catch my ghost for some laps just to notice several checkpoint's time and after i stay focus on the track.
    The ghost is very usefull at the begining to find the faster ways on every sections of a track. After a moment it's just a nuisance which prevent from maximum concentration. At a point, i know what's the fastest way (except if new BRs, boost... are discovered), the only thing is to be able of reproducing what i have in mind, lol. Sometimes even if i imagine exactly the perfect lap, i just can't perform some of the crazy tricks found by Pirahpac, Ak-furtif or others

<<I just can't perform some of the crazy tricks found by Pirahpac, Ak-furtif or others
    (AKA leungBRbok) >>
    Er...what?!?!? I'm sorry... WHAT?! oO

Ghosts can be annoying but bugged ghosts are even worse...unless they are just in front so you can work hard to catch them

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

yeah, even if i succeed on some hard BRs, Pirahpac is the king for insane boosting !
    I never had a bugged ghost that was in front ! They always are slower than my pb, so totally unusefull !
    Last edited by leungbok; 7th November 2009 at 09:03 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

I like TT because its more then one Lucky BR that you THINK you could of Pulled off (As it is the case in speed lap) and in my opinion luck is a larger token then skill in this aspect.

Think about it in SL you have so many things that make it so unrealalistic you can Boost at the start line which already makes it a highly unrealistic time, its all on BR's which CAN take skill but hald of them require hitting some sort of wall to get thrusted into the air, Again doesnt help your lines.

TT at least you have to be consistant and if you mess up once its over, that means You have to make sure your damn perfect every lap with no Screw ups. No boosting at the line means a more realistic time, and LAp Consistancy again... Cant stress this enough.

In Conclusion

TT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SL in the skill rating in my opinion.