Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: advanced techniques / curious things - wipEout HD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    QjonPL

Today I (almost) managed to crash together 2 Quakes
    Playing Eliminator on Metropia, I suddenly heard "Quake!", I picked up nearest weapon pad and what I got? Quake ]:> So quick flip and waiting for the incoming evil wave.
    - Eat that! - I shouted when quake was in front of me, I pressed Square and... Nothing happened... The Quake hit me and flew further AND after that MY quake fired up

Hmm... So many quakes in my post...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

My guess is that two quakes pass each other with no effect at all. They just carry on in their respective direction. When will we get a lasso weapon!?! It would be awesome to catch 3 or 4 opponents on a straight section of a track and throw them backwards! I would also like to get a small speed boost since I'm "stealing" some of their momentum. It would be an awesome weapon... Right?
    Last edited by multibodydynamics; 13th November 2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Lasso

The old force barrier weapon from WO3 can be used in a way that's a bit like that, making the ships that hit it bounce back, though the barrier only covers about half the track width. And you can pass through it yourself with no effect. But you don't get any energy from the other ships.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

a few days ago i raced against XBARNSTERX (100%1 of the best i've ever played with!), it was MPSR/MOA<</phantom; we fought a great battle with almost no weapons at all. almost every lap he got AP just b4 magstrip and used it to overtake me in the loop, so he guessed (viaPM) AP is a fantastic way to gain a higher speed during the MOA-magstrip-section.
    he found a new advanced technique.
    un4tunetly it doesn't work on METROPIA-magstrip, not sure about CHENGOU<<.
    Last edited by JFthebestJan; 21st November 2009 at 01:41 PM.

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

Yeah JF they where some great games mate, neck an neck most of the time.
    Metropia doesnt work because ap runs you down the middle missing the pads
    Both mags on moa work fine, not sure about the first on reverse though.
    Chenghou works
    I'll have to check on talons, i dont think it would work there. To be able to hit all pads anyway.
    Second mag on amphi works, no pads
    Same goes for modesto, only a small mag there so nothing gained really.

Anyway mate look forward to race you soon

Edit.. is there even pads on the mag on talons, lol im not sure.
    Last edited by XBARNSTERX; 21st November 2009 at 01:02 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Yeah, there's one down the middle.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

Found out the other night when playing eliminator online that if you pick up a quake when another quake is active you can't fire it! It seems like 2 quakes can't be active at the same time. If you press square, the quake is fired automatically as soon as possible.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

Ive always found using AP on mag strips kinda "scrabbles" the nav system. For a split second, your ship gets all "wobbly" and then straightens out.

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

@abukii, you just need to learn when/where to activate it and when to disengage .
    Takes a bit of practice

PSN ID
    drMannevond

Quote Originally Posted by multibodydynamics View Post
    Found out the other night when playing eliminator online that if you pick up a quake when another quake is active you can't fire it! It seems like 2 quakes can't be active at the same time. If you press square, the quake is fired automatically as soon as possible.
    Aha! So that's what happened when I quaked myself the other day
    I fired the quake, nothing happened for two seconds, and then it fired from where I was when I hit square the first time, which was now behind me. Instant death.
    And about autopilots BR'ing - it's happened to me several times on Sebenco rev, Metropia reverse and once on Vineta fwd. Why it happens I don't know, but I would guess it's the AP 'accidentally' doing a l-r-l while trying to keep me on the track.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Quote Originally Posted by abukii View Post
    Ive always found using AP on mag strips kinda "scrabbles" the nav system. For a split second, your ship gets all "wobbly" and then straightens out.
    If I use AP, on a magstrip, I make sure i'm not turning my ship when I engage it, coz the ship WILL wobble...

... what I do is, use it on a straight section, works much better. However, I believe that i'm faster on tracks without AP, and only use it if I don't know a track properly. And when I do, I pay close attn to the adjustments the AP makes, like watching craft placement before a corner/turn, and the use of AirBrakes. I beleive that the AP always takes the most generic racing line, by learning it, you can make tweaks to your own racing line, and get faster than the AP...

it's how I learned Pulse (+help from many many Zoners) and how i'm learning HD FURY, currently...

hope this helps

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Beware the AP young ACE, 't could prove to be your undoing.
    /oddball

Good plan in theory but there are quite a few places where you will never be able to replicate what the AP can do (not necessarily meaning that cannot be faster but you see what I mean) *ahem* chenghou fwd hairpin *ahem*.

Maybe someone could write a guide (or just do a long post/thread (if there isn't one already)) explaining where AP can be used most effectively?
    ...Or are the best AP locations too obvious for that?

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Chenghou? lol, i stay away from that one... and sebenco too... these two are my outpost 07tracks (pulse) I steered well clear of OP7 lol... but got a feeling I wont be able to shy away from chenghou and sebenco aint that right mr Yeldar?

lol, i better start practicing offline, bah, i hate offline play! humbugs...

EDIT: Chenghou is starting to make a lot more sense now
    Last edited by ACE-FLO; 2nd December 2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: CP

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

All I can say is, for people who don't race Phantom much, never ever ever think about using auto-pilot just before the first turn in Ubermall Reverse. It will throw you stupidly off the track before the hill inside the mall.

If you do need it for that first turn, make sure you activate before the shadow the tunnel casts on the track.

I wish there was a "drop" feature. It's insulting to absorb auto-pilot and use its energy. So useless.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

You do know you can cancel it anytime after you activate it right?

(not being patronising, just making sure you know )

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

What? Really? I swear I've tried to cancel before...

Well, maybe it's not the death sentence it appears to be.

This will improve my Phantom game.

PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

i've been cancelling AP just before the stupid thing ends up screwing me over on a difficult part of the track since fusion lol,,, 'disengaged' sounds dead sexy in HD FURY lol

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

I did this in Pure and Pulse(I think).I activated the Auto-Pilot and absorbed the Auto-Pilot when the timer was about to be up.Is it possible to do this in HD(I don't have a PS3,so I cannot find out)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

You are able to deactivate the AP in pulse and hd, but not in pure. It can lead to some 'hilarious' nose to billboard action. >_>

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

I know that this thread is about HD,but I also remember another curious thing that happened when I was playing Pure.It was Sinucit,Free Play mode. After getting the free boost pickup,I turned around and hit the wall of the jump with the boost.I managed to gain enough height to actually go onto the track(somehow).